Cooling fan recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bykpjfk

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Passport
Vessel Make
Mainship Sedan Bridge
I'm contemplating an upgrade to Lithium but will have to place them and the new inverter charger in a non-ventilated area under a sofa (existing setup is in the engine area). I'm thinking this would work as long as I have a fan drawing air out of the compartment, preferably a quiet 12v fan operating 24/7 off the lithium house bank.
Thoughts and recommendation's for an exhaust fan?
Dan
Passport
Palm City, FL

On our previous boat (IP38 cutter) we had a charger/inverter mounted behind the setee where it didn't get a lot of air. I added a small grill and a repurposed 12v computer fan to draw the hot air out. Worked like a charm and didn't draw a lot power. I switched it manually, but I'd imagine you could likely add a simple thermo switch and have it run on demand.

I have used this fan several times. Very quiet and 50 mAmp draw. Got it on Amazon.

Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown)

If you go to an electronics supply house like Digikey, you will find hundreds, if not thousands, of BLDC axial flow fans used to cool electronics. Almost any size, almost any voltage, and almost any flow. You can normally buy one at a time, they are all listed by flow, noise, size, and current draw.

Back
Top Bottom