Old 01-29-2022, 10:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Glenns Ferry
Vessel Model: 1981 CHB 34
Converting lighting to LED

I did a search for this topic but came back empty. Anyone have any experience with LED conversions or additions?
Porchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:05 PM   #2

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Are you converting cabin lighting? If so the simple approach is to just buy LED bulbs to fit your fixtures. However, I didn't get as much light as I wanted doing this so I rewired the fixtures to accept a couple of flat LED panels. You can also just buy LED fixtures which work well as well if they fit your space. For navigation lighting I purchased new LED fixtures.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You can either replace the bulbs with LED bulbs or replace the whole fixture. I usually replace the fixture but that is my preference.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:39 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. P. As Mr. S said (post #2) "...the simple approach is to just buy LED bulbs to fit your fixtures..." The only "snag" may be your navigational lighting that must be USCC approved. A few years ago not all LED bulbs were acceptable. That may have changed. Just one thing to check and be sure of.

All of the interior cabin lighting on our boat were of the florescent tube variety. We purchased an LED roll and the appropriate end terminals, gutted the old ballasts and replaced with above mentioned LED strips cut to length from a 50' roll. Pretty simple IMO. For those areas that we felt needed brighter lighting, it was as easy as installing a second section of LED.

Example only:

Installation was peel and stick.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:10 AM   #5
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Do not buy cheap LEDs. Some are quite noisy, RF-wise, enough that the Coast Guard issued warnings about it. I bought most of mine from MarineBeam.com, but I think there's at least one other vendor that's favored by others here too.

Also know that if you have dimmers on the incandescents you will probably need to change them, as LEDs generally need 12vdc PWM dimming, unlike incandescents that used voltage.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Just an fyi. You must look at the lumens and color of what you may need or what.

Lumens is the brightness output, the high the brighter. Color, from a blueish, to a yellow, tint to a bright white. Most people like a tint of yellow because its more like a 60 or 75 watt bulb.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:28 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Do not buy cheap LEDs. Some are quite noisy, RF-wise, enough that the Coast Guard issued warnings about it. I bought most of mine from MarineBeam.com, but I think there's at least one other vendor that's favored by others here too.

Also know that if you have dimmers on the incandescents you will probably need to change them, as LEDs generally need 12vdc PWM dimming, unlike incandescents that used voltage.
Agree
The other vendor I have had good luck with is SuperBrightLEDS
I started with cheap strip in fluorescent lights and had to replace them all after failures & flickering...mdo it once not twice.
Look for specs that have a DC range up to 30V.
The better LEDs have amperage control circuits to protect them from overload.
I didn't bother with Nav lights as if running at night engine alt is operating. I did replace the anchor light and had to go to a new head w LED to get USCG approved.
With LEDs polarity is important... if any don't lights reverse the + & -.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:04 AM   #8
Guru

I converted several old fixtures to LED via bulbs from Super Briight LEDs.
Also replaced the anchor light bulb. Didn't bother changing the running lights.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:13 AM   #9

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
I've done interior cabin lights, exterior lighting, navigation lights, and anchor light. I've used both direct bulb replacements, fixture replacements, and some "hybrid" solutions where you gut the ballast on old florescent fixtures and replace with LEDs.

If you happen to have old school 12" florescent bulbs in your cabin, there is a really nice option of LED replacement bulbs. They are very well made and you simply cut out the ballast, splice in a new connection, and they are plug and play from there. Where your old florescent bulbs get their power (those end clips) are just used to hold the new LEDs in place. No power comes through those clips. The result is beautiful LED light, yet the visible part of the fixture is not disturbed. We love the results. My batter monitor has shows the LEDs use anywhere from about 10% to about 30% of the energy of the various bulbs we replaced, depending on what you are replacing. It is a great project to make your boat more enjoyable.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
If you happen to have old school 12" florescent bulbs in your cabin, there is a really nice option of LED replacement bulbs. They are very well made and you simply cut out the ballast, splice in a new connection.
Yup, did some in my engine room. Easy to cut out the ballast from the circuit to provide power directly. Though, to be honest, I may change over from them being AC to DC.

I'm of the opinion that the only reason they were AC was that was the only way at the time to get that much light. DC-only fixtures back then didn't offer nearly as much light output. Now, with modern LED elements, it'd likely be better to go through the rigmarole of rearranging the wiring a bit to move them to a DC circuit instead.

Though from a redundancy standpoint there is the chance for there being a problem with the 12vdc source and having AC lighting might help in solving it. So, yeah, there's more than one perspective to consider...
Old 01-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
For most of my cabin lights, I just put in LED bulbs (including LED tubes in the fluorescents in the salon). I may change out some of the fixtures in the future, but the bulbs were the cheap and quick solution. I did physically replace most of my engine room lights when I converted to LED and all of my nav and anchor lights got replaced with LED fixtures.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:48 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
couple years ago switched to warm color LED G4 bulbs in the old lights.
I found not very bright. So I bought G4 ceramic sockets, drilled holes in the reflector and epoxied them into place. That doubled the light output

But honestly the LED bulbs, I don't think are great quality, 2 burned out after I left them on for couple of months, now they flicker.

And the light output is also a guess looking at ads. One thing is pay attention to the watts used to make the light. More watts means a brighter light output. 2 or 3 watts means a dim bulb. 5 or 6 watts is ok. One of the fixtures, I put in 3 G4 leds, for the kitchen galley light.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:53 AM   #13
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
picture

I bought G4 adapters and sockets from Aliexpress.
Attached Thumbnails
led bulb convertion.jpg  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #14

City: Valley Cottage NY
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: Seaton 50 expedition trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Just an fyi. You must look at the lumens and color of what you may need or what.

Lumens is the brightness output, the high the brighter. Color, from a blueish, to a yellow, tint to a bright white. Most people like a tint of yellow because its more like a 60 or 75 watt bulb.
I am in the process of replacing LED bulbs that provide lighting akin to a public lavatory. Cold blue light sucks. Warm yellowish light provides a feeling of warmth and comfort. The fittings are the brass dome lights. There are about fifteen of them and at $24 a bulb that was an expensive mistake!
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #15

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Yup, did some in my engine room. Easy to cut out the ballast from the circuit to provide power directly. Though, to be honest, I may change over from them being AC to DC.
Interesting. My 12" florescents were 12v DC. Those fixtures were in both staterooms as well as the salon. 20 bulbs in 10 fixtures. My engine room lights were easy. They were simple LED bulb replacements for the old 12v single bulb fixtures (incandescent, I suppose??). It's a worthwhile project for sure.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
On our Formula there were originally 22 flush mount halogen lights. I think they drew about 1 amp each. And the heat was awesome when you left them on for any length of time. I replaced them with LEDs so our power consumption has dropped dramatically and so has the heat. My wife doesn’t like the warm color light so I went with 4,000 degrees lights. It was a PITA to replace all of them but it is nice now. I also ordered about 6 extra of the light in case any go out and they aren’t available anymore.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
About 6-8 yrs ago I too changed to LED lgts.

I had to purchase adapters from the incandescent bulb but they have worked well.

I think I chose the 2700 colour which is roughly equivalent to the incandescents but the light output was higher so made up for it.

I chose bulbs that operated on 10 - 30VDC so they could care less about the boat system voltage changes. If they wouldn't light then I knew I was in trouble, never happened.

The old bulbs used about 1 amp each, these use between 100 to 200 Ma.
All of the bulbs we usually leave running draw less than one of the old bulbs.
However, we don't generally leave any running that we are not using except by goof ups.

I too bought spares but have not needed them yet.

Unfortunately the Co. I bought from has either shut down or at least closed their website.

Just in case they have revived they were called
Energy Efficient Products. EEP for short.
THey offered a wide range of LED lighting into the industrial range of lights.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:39 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
Interesting. My 12" florescents were 12v DC. Those fixtures were in both staterooms as well as the salon. 20 bulbs in 10 fixtures. My engine room lights were easy. They were simple LED bulb replacements for the old 12v single bulb fixtures (incandescent, I suppose??). It's a worthwhile project for sure.
The AC fluorescent ones in my engine room are the 24" variety, and I think there's four of them?

The DC ones were much smaller, and I used a dual-color circuit board lamp element, with a pigtail into the existing bayonet socket. They power-on red. So it's on/off/on to get white.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2022, 07:07 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchhound View Post
I did a search for this topic but came back empty. Anyone have any experience with LED conversions or additions?
The search tool may require a minimum of 4 characters... so LED* or something like that might work.

We've converted almost all of our incandescents, ~63 bulbs so far (including about 36 burned-out incandescents, 3 of which were nav light bulbs), to LEDs using replacements from marinebeam.com. (Apparently our PO couldn't change a light bulb.)

Most of those are disc-mounted, G4 bi-pin format, and usually 2700-3000°K color temperature, lumens selected for the location. (For example, higher lumens over the galley sink, not as high over the saloon and dinette seating.)

There was one odd size for a sconce light that marinebeam didn't carry, so I got those elsewhere and am hoping for the best. I still need to track down what I'll need for some of the exterior (cockpit and bridge) lighting... but since we rarely use those it's not yet a high priority.

The earliest LEDs we used on the last boat, from a marine-focused company that has since gone south, eventually showed signs of overheating on the backplane of the mounting discs... and that's when I started making the switch to marinebeam products.

-Chris
Old 01-31-2022, 07:57 AM   #20
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

When swapping in-home, standard base incandescent bulbs, what is the equivalent LED?

i.e. what LED rating replaces incandescent 60w, 100w and a 50/100/150 tri light?
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote