Originally Posted by Mischief Managed
The survey is done, but not typed up yet and I'm still waiting on the oil analysis. The surveyor called me up specifically to say "Holy S#*t, what an aweome boat! Buy it." He literally gushed about the condition. So, assuming the oil analysis report is OK, we are moving forward without a sea trial, despite the risks.
Good for you. From what you describe the risks are way less than the benefits of ownership. You've certainly done your due diligence as best as you can out of the water, and I'd be surprise if you have any serious issues when you splash her in the spring.
Of the some odd 20 boats I've purchased over the years, I bought a few without any survey at all, just my own inspections. And a few were north of 6 figure purchases. Not once was I disappointed. And regardless of all the inspections you do, you will still find a few things that you'll modify, fix, change, etc. That's just boating. It's not awfully hard to figure out if the expensive stuff will present a major issue.
Keep us posted, and congrats!