Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Considering a Lyman Morse

I have found a 1992 lyman Morris 48 footer. From pictures and description it appears to be a solid boat. Does anyone have any experience with this make and is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks in advance for any insights on this boat make.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
Quality Boats!!

If you can afford one, go for it. They are an old line, quality, Maine boatbuilder that caters to people with both money and taste. For Panbo's take, see here, here, and here
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Lyman morse

Affording the boat, because it's a 1992, is no problem. I have never heard of the brand even though we have been looking at trawlers for well over a year. I still have no insights into build quality and potential problems with this age of Lyman Morris.

Steve thanks for the reply.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Lyman Morse is primarily a custom builder. Pretty much every boat they build is a one off. They do have some hull molds that the use to build semi-custom boats. However, you can be assured that no two boats from those molds will be the same. That will affect resale value. However, if you like the boat then go for it. They are one of the very best builders in Maine. In other words the initial quality of their boats is as good as it gets.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
You'd be hard pressed to find a boat with a better pedigree than a Lyman Morse. Why not call LM Tuesday morning at 9 am local time and ask them what to look for? They are very much open for business and have detailed build sheets, drawings and possibly even maintenance records for the exact boat you are looking at. They have no reason to lie and have invested heavily for decades in a reputation for customer satisfaction. That includes all subsequent owners of their boats.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Lyman-Morse is one of the most respected, premier boat builders in North America.
If this boat suits you, and you are comfortable with the price, then buy it!!!
You will have bought a piece of maritime history, pride-of-ownership and the quiet satisfaction which only a quality build like LM can provide.
Don't know the boat, but I envy your future.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

City: Dayton, OH
I saw this Lyman Morse on YW, thought you all might like the pic. What a good looking vessel.

1992 Lyman Morse 48 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
That boat (with out the fly-bridge), is what I have in mind in the future (,,,,,after my sail-boat, of course).
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
She will have all the problems usually associated with a 23 year old boat by a custom builder. If maintenance has been great there will be few problems. The price seems surprisingly low, that's a question mark. Perhaps it just reflects a lack of appreciation by the Dutch market? Perhaps Europeans are wary of big old jimmies, or perhaps all systems are ready for replacement?

1200 HP to cruise at 15 knots? That's a big heavy beast. These are commercial lobster hulls that Lyman finished off, in this case a Duffy 48 built by Atlantic Boat, designed by Spencer Lincoln in 1990. Atlantic built a bunch of them. She will be a very comfortable sea boat.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
Guru

This LM would cost upward of two million to build new. The price is low my guess goes with TAD underappreciated in EU especially with the cost of fuel. It would almost pay at that price to use for a season in EU then ship statewise and repower.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow!!! That boat is perhaps the ugliest boat I've ever seen but it sure would be cheap to cure, chop that hideous looking hardtop off the flybridge. Once that's done it'll be the most drop dead beautiful boat in any marina you decide to tie up. The low price is a big red flag for me too but I'd still take it to survey for sure. A boat like this is definitely worth a repower/refit IMO.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote