Conditions as advertised

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The shallow San Pablo Bay has a reputation for rough waters. For the most part, I've found the bay to be generally benign, but yesterday it lived up to its reputation. Never successfully captured the moments on camera, but we experienced spray six-feet above our railings at 6.3 knots.

img_175413_0_cb6a38b896f373a68a6525680c6d8c22.jpg

Last edited:
Um, don't believe I would want to have my Gulfstar out in those conditions. To say that it would roll a bit would most likely be the understatement of the year! :)

John

You should have heard the "bong" when I turned the Coot's steel hull around and a wave hit it broadside.

I'll take your word for it! Been there in a blue-water sailboat, which loves those conditions. But with the trawler, I am content to just stay in the river and watch the blue herons stalking along the shore. As life slowly begins to come to an end, because of age, that gets more attractive every day. That said, I'm sure glad that I had the experiences of rough water, though. :)

John

A camera never quite seems to capture the storm effect when filmed from your own boat, does it. But have somebody film the sea conditions from the shore or another boat and it's a bit more obvious.

Attachments

• sea storm.jpg
    sea storm.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 149
Its always a gamble heading back to the Delta or down to SF and I know on the several trips I have made that catching the right tide makes a huge difference time and fuel.

Glad you made it safetly.

Back
Top Bottom