Compasses - gentle rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I was in the Canadian military, regular force then working with army and air cadets. In the cadetting program I was the guy who took them up into the mountains and taught them compass skills. The first thing I taught them was to never purchase a compass that did not have a declination adjustment. If you are out lost and is a semi-panic condition the last thing you want to fiddle with was getting true north right.

I just happened on a MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop, equivalent to REI) site looking at land compasses. I happened upon this video of Brunton compasses as was intrigued by their top of the line compass ($80 in Canada). The Brunton TruArc 20 equipped with technology to exclude interference from electronic and metal gadgets.

My mini-rant is why are compasses that are sold for boating not equipped with declination (I think on water - variation adjustment) adjustment?

Skip to the 45 second mark to listen to why the TruArc 20 is not affected by interference and tell me if this would work on water. And if it does work, is there a marine equivalent?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom