Compass Marine website moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Just found out that Rod "RC" Collins, aka Maine Sail on some other forums (or CMS here on TF) has moved his Compass Marine website to a new address and the old one will soon fade away.

Thought other people might want to know.

I've used his site as a reference in threads here on TF, and used the information found there to guide me through some jobs on our boat when I had no idea where to even start.

New site: https://marinehowto.com/

Old site: Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Also...a 'plug' if I may...he sells fine quality stuff and might give quotes on other equipment not listed on the website if you contact him there. Maybe the new site will even pay for itself!

Yes even if you find a cheaper price, it's worth helping repay him for his incredibly invaluable info and advice.

Even small donations at least help offset some of the costs, but really it's all the **time** he's been freely contributing over the years

My only choice for consistent, reliable butyl tape and product advice. Thanks for the tip.

Yes even if you find a cheaper price, it's worth helping repay him for his incredibly invaluable info and advice.

Even small donations at least help offset some of the costs, but really it's all the **time** he's been freely contributing over the years

+1

Appreciate the heads-up, Murray. He and his site have helped me a lot. Best butyl tape, as well.

Just found out that Rod "RC" Collins, aka Maine Sail on some other forums (or CMS here on TF) has moved his Compass Marine website to a new address and the old one will soon fade away.
Thanks for the "Heads Up!" I use main Sails site quite a bit. Especially when I want to get the straight skinny on SOC systems. I also have bought several items through his site.:blush:

While I love Compass Marine's clear and well presented DIY articles, their new website is a real bummer for me.

They use a custom web interface screen with a vertical scroll bar on the right side of the screen that is very difficult to use. First the moving tab has very little contrast to its background so it is difficult to see. And it is a narrower bar than my normal Firefox browser but about the same as the MS Edge brower which I also dislike.

But the real problem is when you click on the bottom or the top to move the scroll bar, it jumps too far. It is essentially unusable. So i have to hold the curser on the difficult to find scroll tab and work the tab up and down slowly.

Not good.

David

I just ordered a terminal fuse block from the site and found the whole thing to be quick, easy, and painless. At the time I was using a desktop computer and not my iPad.

While I love Compass Marine's clear and well presented DIY articles, their new website is a real bummer for me.

They use a custom web interface screen with a vertical scroll bar on the right side of the screen that is very difficult to use. First the moving tab has very little contrast to its background so it is difficult to see. And it is a narrower bar than my normal Firefox browser but about the same as the MS Edge brower which I also dislike.

But the real problem is when you click on the bottom or the top to move the scroll bar, it jumps too far. It is essentially unusable. So i have to hold the curser on the difficult to find scroll tab and work the tab up and down slowly.

Not good.

David

I think I have fixed the issue by removing the custom scroll bar. Please let me know if this helps. I use scroll wheel, two finger scrolling or a touch screen so never noticed it. I've not used a scroll bar in about 8 years so always good to get feedback from those that do......

Rod
Great quick response on the scroll bar issue. Really appreciate your informative website.
Thanks

Thanks Murray.
I too have perused Compass Marine site for a bunch of years now.
Bought his butyl tape a few years ago and will need some more next winter.
Will also be looking at a few other things from him.
Great site

And Rod, thank you for a great site.

CMS:

The scroll bar looks and works fine now. Thanks for the fix.

FWIW I have noticed more and more sites use a custom scroll bar. I wish they wouldn't. I use Firefox as my browser because it has a wide bar that is easy to use. The custom ones are narrow and in your case the scroll tab was almost invisible. On one site, I can't use 110% zoom which is my standard to better fill my screen as it cuts off the scroll bar.

Thanks,
David

Back
Top Bottom