Compact Vacuum Cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides the ShopVac, we have a Mooso cordless stick vac with a spare battery. I like it because it has removable, rechargeable battery. It's worked well for over 2 years now.

We recently purchased a Dyson cordless stick vacuum. We could not be happier. It is easy to take from one end of the boat to another, it has multiple attachments which are great since we have carpet and hardwood. We purchased the Dyson V10 Animal+ Cordless Stick Vacuum from Costco.

There are some tools that cordless simply does not have the power for. Vacuums in my opinion are one. Corded Rikkar canister vacuum for the interior and one gallon corded DeWalt wet/dry vac for on deck and big messes.

Yeah, the Dyson. Just keep in mind that when they say "Lasts up to 45 min on a charge!" what they mean is 7 minutes - which is technically within the 'up to 45 min' range.

Dyson - we have one for the boat, two for the house (up and down stairs) and one for the RV.

Keep in mind that the Dyson has two speeds - the high speed will only last for about 7 minutes, the lower speed will get you 40+ minutes.

I like how I can use interchange the different nozzles on each vacuum and at least a couple times a year, I will hook 3 of the long tubes together to reach up high.

Sams or Costco seem to have the best prices.

BLACK+DECKER dustbuster AdvancedClean Cordless Handheld Vacuum (CHV1410L)

By far the best we've had on our boat. The battery lasts.

I use the Dyson stick. It can also be used without the stick for smaller areas. I have a 40 foot Mainship and I love all Dyson vacuums.

We used a corded Shark for years, and just got a battery powered one. Works great.

Dirt Devil

Several years ago we added a Dirt Devil central vac on our 37 Nordic Tug. Located at a central point , it takes up a space about 8” by 8” by 12” and the hose will reach 20’ in each direction. It came with a turbo attachment that seems to work as good as a beater bar and has quite amazing suction for its size. The hose is very flexible and only takes up a small space. IIRC it was around $230.

I open up doors & hatches & use a cordless leaf blower- it clears the dust off of port frames, countertops, nooks, crannies & it all blows out- whole boats clean in 10 min.

Same times TWO.

Same x2 on our boat. Cordless SHARK. Very versatile. Doubles for sucking up spiders or other bugs that found a way into the cabin. Excellent coat rack here in FL where the weather cannot decide to be warm or cold this time of year.

I like how it can break down and do hand-held stuff both short and long... and oh yah it does the floor well too!

I installed a Dirt Devil central vac for my wife and she absolutely loves it. Very powerful. Hose reached 35'. It's made for an RV and is a very nice piece of equipment.

OK, this is a very technical boating question. What is a good vacuum cleaner for a boat????

Seriously, for years we had an older Kenmore upright with a removable/extendable handle that made it nice and compact for storage. Unfortunately, it bit the dust. No pun intended. It was a pretty decent vacuum, had a rotating brush and good suction, plus a host of handheld tips and a very long hose. We replaced it with a new Hoover Commercial CH30000 compact vacuum. It's a canister style, with a shoulder strap that make it convenient to use and carry from cabin to cabin, deck to deck.

However, after about 6 months of using the new Hoover, we have determined that it sucks. Or, more precisely, it simply does not suck enough.

Does anyone have a good vacuum cleaner they would recommend that will break down for storage, clean carpet as well as hardwood, and have a variety of hand held tools?

Skipper41, if your vacuum stops sucking, disassemble as necessary, looking for a stoppage. Take a look at the turbine blades and chamber. Could be something as a plugged hose. Get a stick and push it through the hose.

Dirt Devil makes a great small "Central vacuum" unit. The housing is small 8" x 8" x 16" and mounts in a locker out of the way. The hose inlets can be installed anywhere on the boat and the expandable hose is durable. We have had our for 12 yrs with no issues. It was maybe $250 ?

If you have cordless tools there are in fact some pretty good cordless vacuums. I have 4 cordless Ryobi vacuums. The stick vacuums work very well. As a matter of fact its our only vacuum at home. I also have two shop vacs that are cordless and very good performers. And if you go Ryobi or other such "systems" you can use the battery packs for multiple tools. Drills, spot lights, grinders, polishers etc. You will also have spare batteries for your stick vacuum and would likely not run out.

Vaccuum Cleaner

Thanks for this new information. I will check the vacuums out online.
Mila Vera

First mater

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom