Comodave Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Buddy and best wishes for your next endeavor. Your participation in this forum will be missed.

I hope he is just leaving us for a faster crowd and not abandoning forums, I always appreciated his company and advice here, if he is going to a Formula site, they are lucky.

I miss him already. Not only was he a good moderator, but he had damn good insights on fixing almost anything. From time to time, i send out a 'help" post - he always reaponded, and always had valuable words. I have no idea how one guy accumulated so much knowledge on a pastime subject and still left enough brain cells for other activities.

Maybe if we talk smack about him, he will come back and defend himself?

Peter

Good point Weebles.

Hey Dave, your mother wears army boots!

That should do it.

Definitely sad.

At least the courtesy to say so though. BandB have been gone for many months with no word.

Am I the only one that will miss Dave more?

Wondering why such a cryptic message. Would be nice to understand why, eg tired of blogs, bought a sailboat …

Wondering why such a cryptic message. Would be nice to understand why, eg tired of blogs, bought a sailboat …

Could be personal reasons that he doesn't care to share with the world. I can respect that.

Dave was a valuable member of the community and a great addition to the site team, he'll be deeply missed.

Could be personal reasons that he doesn't care to share with the world. I can respect that.

That’s how I read it. Everyone has their reasons, respect the need for privacy.
Sad to lose a great contributor though.
Best wishes Dave

I certainly respect others' privacy. It's just a social norm to sort of explain yourself a bit when saying goodbye. People are naturally curious. We care about the people we've come to know, and want to hear their future plans, or what led to a decision.

It's OK if the answer is "I don't want to say." But I don't think it's rude or unreasonable to ask why. I wasn't going to be the one to ask, but I will admit to wondering.

It's ok to wonder or be curious. I think someone as active on the forum as Dave would know that and he made the decision not to share any more than he did. Would it make any difference if he said "For personal reasons, I have decided to leave the forum"?

You should take that as implied from his lack of an explanation. If you expect or ask for more than that, you might want to re-think who is being rude.

Maybe his Russian (Chinese?) handlers have called him in. Who doesn't love a good spy novel.
Fair winds Dave!

Well, I interpreted it as more likely as an issue with the forum management to explain the suddenness and brusqueness. Someone profits over the volunteer efforts. Anyway, the outcome is the same and I will miss his posts.

Well, I interpreted it as more likely as an issue with the forum management to explain the suddenness and brusqueness. Someone profits over the volunteer efforts. Anyway, the outcome is the same and I will miss his posts.

This was my reaction also, although I didn’t venture a guess as to the specific issue. He wouldn’t be the first to resign from a position under such circumstances and avoid airing the laundry on his exit.

Most in his position would give a general reason if caused by change of situation or other personal reasons, even if not inclined to discuss beyond that.

In any case, Dave has been an important contributor and his departure is a loss to TF (including management) and the TF community. If it was indeed caused by some internal clash, it is an unfortunate price to pay.

I see nothing inappropriate about being concerned or curious. Few would give it a thought or wonder why if he was not a highly regarded contributor. No one is prying into his personal life. I wish Dave the best and hope he decides to return in the future.

This was my reaction also, although I didn’t venture a guess as to the specific issue. He wouldn’t be the first to resign from a position under such circumstances and avoid airing the laundry on his exit.

Most in his position would give a general reason if caused by change of situation or other personal reasons, even if not inclined to discuss beyond that.

In any case, Dave has been an important contributor and his departure is a loss to TF (including management) and the TF community. If it was indeed caused by some internal clash, it is an unfortunate price to pay.

I see nothing inappropriate about being concerned or curious. Few would give it a thought or wonder why if he was not a highly regarded contributor. No one is prying into his personal life. I wish Dave the best and hope he decides to return in the future.

I think it's fine to be curious, as I'm sure most of us are. I don't agree in calling Dave "rude" for not explaining further or expecting more.

The 'net and online forums are such an interesting place. I lurked for a long time on here before I posted, but when I did, I never posted the "I'm here!" -- Welcome aboard! kind of thing. I figured I don't do that when I walk into a room or a party, why would I do it on an internet forum? But of course lots of people do that here, just about every day. Some people say goodbye, some abruptly disappear without a word. Some take sabbaticals and come back.

I try to do very little general social media like Facebook -- I think it's generally soul-sucking and life is too short. But I do subscribe to a FB feed from the little factory town in Connecticut where I grew up for a while because it's really amusing. Social media didn't exist when I was a little kid, but even so, that town hasn't changed one bit. Still have what I call the (now-hilarious) Rita Delvecchio characters, but now they post on Facebook. Some kid kicked over my pumpkin on Halloween, you little brats!!

My point is that this may be a (relatively) new communication medium, but it's still a reflection of people, and human variety and character hasn't changed. Some walk into a room and announce themselves, some don't. Some make a big goodbye leaving a party, some slip out. I had a friend and colleague in my field named Chris Crawford. I admired and deeply liked Chris. I'd normally see him at twice-per-year professional association conferences. One afternoon we got an email that Chris had died. Cancer. Never told anybody, didn't want to make a fuss or bring anybody down. He sent me a cheery, funny email about a week before he died, just work related, never mentioned his pending -- departure. Of course I don't mean to imply for a second Dave's departure is anything that serious or dire, could be a million different reasons from serious to simply moving on to other things, but humans are a source of endless variety.

I spent an evening with Dave and found him to be an interesting person that has worn a number of hats. He and his wife have spent considerable amounts of time in volunteer organizations. I think it would be safe to say that when it's time to move on, he does it without a lot of fanfare.

For the those of you who need an an explanation, as the politicians put it, "He's decided to spend more time with the family".

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom