Old 02-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
With time we communicate less and less while docking. She knows what she has to do, I am doing what I have to do and look at her from the flybridge, most of the time the communication is limited to some signs or very few words.

L
Yep. What needs to be communicated during docking is so limited in content that a few hand signals and meaningful looks suffice. When I see someone with headsets on docking, I get the fenders ready on my boat.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #22
Guru

City: Anacortes
I’ve noticed a correlation between the amount of chaos seen and the number of half hitches being used on a single cleat.

ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
As others have said, advance planning, always. Then establish hand signals for all time, even if intending to use a headset or other electronic comms (which can crap out). Doesn't hurt to have a hailer, to yell at bozo dock hands.

Wifey is often out of sight when we're docking now, and we often can't hear each other when I'm on the bridge and the enclosure panels are closed... (although the hailer can sometimes help with that)... so we do use headsets (FWIW, SENA SPH10-10) more often these days. Sometimes that's about communicating when were doing other chores, too, like pumping out the holding tank when she's inside and I'm outside.

Useful to do an after-action analysis after each docking... or at least those where something seemed a bit amiss.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantal View Post
Can those of you using one tell us the Brand and Model?
There have been several mentioned in this thread. Make sure you get a "voice powered" one with BlueTooth if possible. With those, you just start talking and there are no buttons to push ....leaving your hands free.

Here's Sena's site again:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...CABEgJdLPD_BwE
Old 02-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #25

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We use hand signals and keep verbal communications brief. I can see the need for headsets on larger trawler especially if backing in
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
I can't see her when we are docking so we wear Sena SPH10 headsets. They have worked great for us.

This. They have worked great for us for the past 3 years.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Can't you hear me now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving berth.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	84883  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Can't you hear me now?
Sorry, can't see your wife in that photo, and what she is doing re docking?
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #29
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Sorry, can't see your wife in that photo, and what she is doing re docking?
She took the photograph, watching me take the Coot single-handed to Richmond, CA for boatyard TLC.

When docking, she is a couple of feet from me on the boat's starboard deck.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #30
Guru

Mark, not sure that helps answers the original poster's question?

We have a guy who has bought a new to them boat and wants to make sure that they communicate well while handling the boat. It is a FB vessel where he wil be on the FB and she on the aft deck and then dock.

I understand we have a good number of well experienced boaters on here. But we have an inexperienced boater asking for direction. And I feel that "showing off" what we experienced boaters do may not be the most helpful direction.

Not just a response to you, as others have responded similarly. But maybe this is not a case of showing how we "experts" handle it, but how best to smoothly introduce them to boat handling.

Maybe headsets are good for now, and they can adjust later.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #31
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Mark, not sure that helps answers the original poster's question?

We have a guy who has bought a new to them boat and wants to make sure that they communicate well while handling the boat. It is a FB vessel where he wil be on the FB and she on the aft deck and then dock.

I understand we have a good number of well experienced boaters on here. But we have an inexperienced boater asking for direction. And I feel that "showing off" what we experienced boaters do may not be the most helpful direction.

Not just a response to you, as others have responded similarly. But maybe this is not a case of showing how we "experts" handle it, but how best to smoothly introduce them to boat handling.

Maybe headsets are good for now, and they can adjust later.
Yes; can't disagree with your statement. My point was that some boats are designed consistent with easy communication. Recall the many previous posters saying voice instructions can work well if the boat's design is consistent.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:43 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
There have been several mentioned in this thread. Make sure you get a "voice powered" one with BlueTooth if possible. With those, you just start talking and there are no buttons to push ....leaving your hands free.

Here's Sena's site again:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...CABEgJdLPD_BwE
The price is for 1, of course you need 2. Shipping to Oz shows as $40 USD, however many you buy.
I may check ebay here. They are a good idea. Just remember the old saying"When you are up to your ass in alligators, it`s hard to remember you got into the water to drain the swamp" (NOT intended as a political observation).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:27 AM   #33
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
As others have said, advance planning, always. Then establish hand signals for all time, even if intending to use a headset or other electronic comms (which can crap out). Doesn't hurt to have a hailer, to yell at bozo dock hands.

Wifey is often out of sight when we're docking now, and we often can't hear each other when I'm on the bridge and the enclosure panels are closed... (although the hailer can sometimes help with that)... so we do use headsets (FWIW, SENA SPH10-10) more often these days. Sometimes that's about communicating when were doing other chores, too, like pumping out the holding tank when she's inside and I'm outside.

Useful to do an after-action analysis after each docking... or at least those where something seemed a bit amiss.

-Chris
Chris,

Ya got things arse backwards.....

When docking, SHE should be on the bridge and YOU should be outside throwing the lines.

And with the holding tank, SHE should be outside when YOU'RE inside.

Yes, absolutely agree on headsets. Yelling just doesn't cut it. Wouldn't be without them, even though we do use hand signals occasionally.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
even though we do use hand signals occasionally.
My wife is always giving me hand signals, especially after I screw up!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #35
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
While entering our very first lock with the Defever (on the Erie Canal), my wife was handling the lines while I was on the flybridge. We didn’t have headsets and I couldn’t see her, so I had to yell an audible which changed her entire plan for the lock as we were entering the gates. (My lousy planning). She was initially scared about not knowing what I meant and then frustrated at having to uncoil additional lines while we were in the lock, then royally pissed off at yours truly for the stream of orders being yelled from the FB.

So she started cussing me—and this is where it was good we didn’t have headsets, because, as she told me later, she was enraged and hurling every name in the book my way—but I couldn’t make any of it out over engine noise from us and other boats in the lock. But as we rose in the lock—and her language became even more colorful—she heard a very calm, professorial voice from above her: “Locking through can be accomplished much more easily if you were just to . . . .” Apparently, the lockmaster had heard a lot of her rant and she became as red-faced as this guy. We laugh about it now, but the headsets (we have the SP-10s) are stress-savers for us and really make an enormous difference on our boat. They’re also great at keeping up with one another when one of us goes below.

I do wish people who don’t use headsets wouldn’t look down their noses at people who do. Boats, crews and docking/locking situations are all different and if a crew works better together with electronic communication it has nothing to do with their seamanship or their choice of boats.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #36
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not sure anyone is looking down their nose but I do want to comment about docking and seamanship/communications.

Like docking without thrusters, docking without headsets is certainly doable and safe for some.

Its the equivalent discussion as about docking vessels in general between single handling or not and how to do things so others are not required at all....

Using or not using is somewhat a personal preference for some, more likely a good idea for many and an absolute necessity for some.

Generally I would say, they may make life easier for any vessel using 2 or more people on board to dock....but I have also have seen pushy people on the dock not in the communications circuit being counterproductive...so the captain still needs to deal with that. So boat handling skills still reign supreme in cases where you have to deal with that.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Headsets can be Like other tools...
Better to have them and not need them than run into the odd situation where needed and you don't have them.
There can be real emergency situation in locks that need IMMEDIATE action.
Traveled w a couple where lock line got jammed in a cleat while going down... skipper quickly grabbed knife from helm and cut the line. It could have gotten ugly very quickly if not in sight.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #38
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Chris,

Ya got things arse backwards.....

When docking, SHE should be on the bridge and YOU should be outside throwing the lines.

And with the holding tank, SHE should be outside when YOU'RE inside.

I absolutely agree, ref docking. Lots of reasons, including reach. That said, she's unenthused. She can and sometimes will dock the boat... but I've not yet been able to talk her into doing that all that time. Or even most of the time.

Ref holding tank... can't think of any way to entice her to be the bubba at the pump-out fitting. She's quite happy to be below confirming the tank gauge eventually says empty, adding some rinse water, etc.

-Chris
Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #39
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Headsets can be Like other tools...
Better to have them and not need them than run into the odd situation where needed and you don't have them.
There can be real emergency situation in locks that need IMMEDIATE action.
Traveled w a couple where lock line got jammed in a cleat while going down... skipper quickly grabbed knife from helm and cut the line. It could have gotten ugly very quickly if not in sight.
I haven't done huge locks, but I am never at the helm in locks anyway once tied up.

While I see perfect communications as superior..I believe that operating as if you don't need them as the goal, and have them as you suggest as a backup.

So my suggestion is if you use the A LOT...maybe time to sharpen the need not to.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #40
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I haven't done huge locks, but I am never at the helm in locks anyway once tied up.

While I see perfect communications as superior..I believe that operating as if you don't need them as the goal, and have them as you suggest as a backup.

So my suggestion is if you use the A LOT...maybe time to sharpen the need not to.
Whatever works for people is good. The headsets are an excellent way to learn docking/locking skills that hopefully become automatic over time. Beyond that, in some boats they’re a convenience; I have perfectly good legs but still use my car for trips to the store. On other boats where crew is regularly out of sight or earshot, they are more than a convenience.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote