Comments on mid-80s 55' Hi-Star Yachtfish Motor Yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nJAYneer

Vessel Name
The Search is On!
Vessel Make
Recommendations <45' & <$125k
Anyone know anything about the Hi-Star brand? I know they went out of business and owner opened a new brand a while later (name escapes me). But, aside from that, I can't find much on the build quality. Particularly, the hull and windows. Most seem to have CAT 3208 TAs with ~3000hrs or so. I'd prefer a semi-displacement, but these boats seem to pack a lot of features for the money. I want to basically coastal cruise Florida, Bahamas, BVI, etc. I'd love to know your feedback on this boat. Searched the forums and can't find any threads...so, hopefully, someone can enlighten me!

Never heard of it but Welcome Aboard.

Sometimes a picture will "jog" someones memory.

pete

Hi-star 55'

This also has a modified - V! I typically have been leaning towards semi-displacement...but my goal is coastal cruising...down to bahamas, bvi, etc...would typically be spending most time at anchor.

Attachments

• HiStar.jpg
    HiStar.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 55
Hi Star is just another typical Asian built trawler. The normal cautions that go with all other older Asian built boats go with this one....teak decks???= ppotential leaks. It will likely have window leaks....all of that sort of thing. If it was well maintained, then it might be a great boat. If not, it might be a nightmare.

They do in fact have semi planing hulls....just a matter of if there is enough power to get them up to planing speeds. I would imagine that boat with the 435hp versions of that engine would be close but still would likely be straining. This engines with 3000 hours and run "judiciously" will last a lot longer.

You just have to do your due diligence. Hard to tell from here!

That is an awfully lot of boat to get on top of the water. Your Cats would be screaming and drinking fuel like crazy. Extended running at high RPMs would contribute to an early demise. If it already has been run hard there may be but little life left.

On the other hand, if you keep it at displacement speed you should get long life from them

pete

That vessel is very close to our PT-52, as both came out of the Kaoshing yards in Taiwan. Ours is equipped with the 375hp Cat 3208TA, and it is indeed a lot of boat to get planing. On sea trial in 2012, I saw about 24 knots with near empty fuel tanks, zero water onboard, and zero personal gear. Now, top speed is about 18 with all our stuff on it.

That said, she is a comfortable boat and we've been extremely happy with her. The previous owners took her from Seattle to Souther California and back, as well as to SE Alaska with no problems. We cruise at 7-9 and enjoy excellent fuel economy- so the OP's proposal to head to the Bahamas and beyond sounds reasonable.

Puff pieces?? It's Denison after all. No different than any other big brokerage. East Coast Yacht Sales, HMY or United Yachts.

Do you really trust a big brokerage with some clown making a boat video just because it's visually/audio stunning?? You can tell they dont know much about boating.... Just a lot of key words and sales antics which are very evident and downright comical.

Last edited:
Puff pieces?? It's Denison after all. No different than any other big brokerage. East Coast Yacht Sales, HMY or United Yachts.

Do you really trust a big brokerage with some clown making a boat video just because it's visually/audio stunning?? You can tell they dont know much about boating.... Just a lot of key words and sales antics which are very evident and downright comical.

The boat is either nice....or it is not nice...or somewhere in between....regardless of a video. It is up to the buyer to determine that. You don't dismiss a boat just because someone put together a mraketing video.

That vessel is very close to our PT-52, as both came out of the Kaoshing yards in Taiwan. Ours is equipped with the 375hp Cat 3208TA, and it is indeed a lot of boat to get planing. On sea trial in 2012, I saw about 24 knots with near empty fuel tanks, zero water onboard, and zero personal gear. Now, top speed is about 18 with all our stuff on it.

That said, she is a comfortable boat and we've been extremely happy with her. The previous owners took her from Seattle to Souther California and back, as well as to SE Alaska with no problems. We cruise at 7-9 and enjoy excellent fuel economy- so the OP's proposal to head to the Bahamas and beyond sounds reasonable.

Welcome to TF

I agree with Pete. Our 48ft Camargue is set up like Peter's and yours. We looked at a few Hi Star boats and are comparable to ours. We didn't like the price some of them were asking. We cruise at 10mph except from Astoria to Neah Bay we kick it up to 2100rpms and do that run in 12 hours.

May I suggest the "WOW" aspect. If you and the Admiral look at each other and both of you say WOW nice boat, that's the one.:thumb:

I think they are good boats. But.... what do I know. When I was looking for a boat a few years ago I was considering one.

I think those extracts are actually from the Powerboat Guide, but take it for what you will. Similarly my recollection was David Pascoe thought well of the brand. But as with anything you have to assess any boat based on its current condition, not what it started out as 29 or 30 years ago.

Anyone know anything about the Hi-Star brand? I know they went out of business and owner opened a new brand a while later (name escapes me). But, aside from that, I can't find much on the build quality. Particularly, the hull and windows. Most seem to have CAT 3208 TAs with ~3000hrs or so. I'd prefer a semi-displacement, but these boats seem to pack a lot of features for the money. I want to basically coastal cruise Florida, Bahamas, BVI, etc. I'd love to know your feedback on this boat. Searched the forums and can't find any threads...so, hopefully, someone can enlighten me!

I am the proud owner of a 1986 Hi-Star Sundeck and absolutely love her. She is 52 LOA and very beamy at 15.5
Very roomy and lives well.
Solid 3208s that don’t smoke, that’s right I said it haha
It’s a Taiwan built trawler and definitely the most quality built Taiwan trawler I have came across.
I’ve done some upgrading to her but she is a great reliable vessel.

I am curious: what about this boat makes it a trawler?

I am curious: what about this boat makes it a trawler?

I don't know if you are trolling or are serious. But you basically just asked "What defines a trawler". And there are a million posts about that on this forum and a million opinions. So...let's not go down that road. I don't think he ever claimed it to be a trawler...it is right there in the title...."Motor Yacht". So it is just as much of a trawler as the boat in your avatar.

I don't know if you are trolling or are serious. But you basically just asked "What defines a trawler". And there are a million posts about that on this forum and a million opinions. So...let's not go down that road. I don't think he ever claimed it to be a trawler...it is right there in the title...."Motor Yacht". So it is just as much of a trawler as the boat in your avatar.

I was referring to the post just above mine, did you bother to read it before you responded to me? I own a motor yacht not a trawler.

I was referring to the post just above mine, did you bother to read it before you responded to me? I own a motor yacht not a trawler.

The proper way to address a specific post would be to quote it. I know you know that because you did it to me. That way people know who you are talking to and what you are talking about. As you were.

Back
Top Bottom