Comments on livability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe Al (FlyWright) can decide this.

img_201712_0_17001865af1681049b14617b90d517a1.jpg

You will not see that boat top on any pilot boat in the lower missippi. They climb a rope ladder from the deck. It can be a little ruff when they board a ship. Most boaters dont understand the difference between calm water and the real thing in an emergency. How many have thought "I will step up into the life raft if my boat is sinking". The inflatable raft will probably not be there anymore. If it is it will probably be wrapped up in the rigging. More on subject, I've not had a boat that was as accesible as my house. I always just thought it was normal to contort myself into some kind of abnormal position to access a filter,connection,hose,pump,socket dropped in the bilge,etc, or endlessly walk up and down stairs to get anywhere on the boat. It is, after all, a boat. However, my buddy has a 30 foot pontoon with no stairs. Used mostly in a lake by his house.

When shopping for our boat, my late wife gave me these instructions.

• Get the driving out of the kitchen
  • Get the engine out of the living room
  • Absolutely no ladders
  • As few steps as possible
  • 2 private sleeping areas
  • A good navigator station with a comfortable chair & great visibility
  • Good weather protection
  • Wide side decks with good rails
  • Easy on and off

Here she is on our last cruise together. We were heading South near Cumberland Island. This is one thing she loved to do. She passed away a couple of weeks after this photo. We had cruised thousands of miles together.

Attachments

• Anne Cruising e-mail.jpg
    Anne Cruising e-mail.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Reactions: Art
When shopping for our boat, my late wife gave me these instructions. [*]Get the driving out of the kitchen [*]Get the engine out of the living room [*]Absolutely no ladders [*]As few steps as possible [*]2 private sleeping areas [*]A good navigator station with a comfortable chair & great visibility [*]Good weather protection [*]Wide side decks with good rails [*]Easy on and off Here she is on our last cruise together. We were heading South near Cumberland Island. This is one thing she loved to do. She passed away a couple of weeks after this photo. We had cruised thousands of miles together.
Im sorry to hear about her passing, my condolences are with you. On another note, I like the trim on on your Stidd chairs,bit looks nice. Hopefully we'll see you in the Abaco's, so we tour each other's boats. :)

Im sorry to hear about her passing, my condolences are with you. On another note, I like the trim on on your Stidd chairs,bit looks nice. Hopefully we'll see you in the Abaco's, so we tour each other's boats. :)

Thanks, Oliver. It's hard to believe that was nearly 8 years ago. My blog wasn't even started until after that. Since this thread was about livability of a boat, I just thought her requirements were pertinent. She had certainly been around boats enough to know what she wanted.

You won't have to set aside too much time to tour our boat. You can stand in one spot and see just about all of it. Love those Nordhavns.

Thanks, Oliver. It's hard to believe that was nearly 8 years ago. My blog wasn't even started until after that. Since this thread was about livability of a boat, I just thought her requirements were pertinent. She had certainly been around boats enough to know what she wanted. You won't have to set aside too much time to tour our boat. You can stand in one spot and see just about all of it. Love those Nordhavns.
Again my condolences . What's the link to your blog forgot it, sorry. Also most of the time will be in the ER checking out your systems, I'm sure you will do the same. ;)

Again my condolences . What's the link to your blog forgot it, sorry. Also most of the time will be in the ER checking out your systems, I'm sure you will do the same. ;)

The link is under my signature line.

Now, I'm going to have to clean my engine room.

Last edited:
The link is under my signature line. Now, I'm going to have to clean my engine room.
LOL! I don't see it, there's no signature. That's weird, I have signatures turned on, on the app. I'll go on my desktop.

Marty is right about the Manatee. One 2" step from the stateroom, one 3 inch step into the salon, and that's it. The Krogen Whaleback is also an excellent boat for single level. At least one of our owners has an elevator built in for reaching the pilothouse. Europa models of many boats are also better for access.

The real question is will the boats basic use change?

A boat built for weekend fun trips will have a vastly different interior design from a traveling boat that may see 6 ft seas.

IF its a home afloat , flat floors seems to be the easiest to grow old on.Europa?

I have read your blog Moonstruck. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing with us a memory of your wife.

Jeff

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Kevin expressed it well that every boat is a compromise in some way if not physical then at least financial. I am especially delighted to hear how owners of sundeck models love the design. For my personal use, which is more live-aboard than extended cruising, that is the compromise which makes sense. It is also a reflection of the high docks so common in my area.

This thread made me think about sitting in the cockpit having coffee. On my existing boat it is too low to see over the dock. On the other hand when I sit on the bridge to have my morning cup it seems too high and I am facing the wrong way. I think the sundeck compromise is the way to go for me.

I think it was Kulu that gave me the best laugh.
" I always just thought it was normal to contort myself into some kind of abnormal position to access a filter,connection,hose,pump,socket dropped in the bilge,etc, or endlessly walk up and down stairs to get anywhere on the boat. It is, after all, a boat."

Well, I am hoping to do just a wee bit better than that

We're often asked the inevitable question- "you live on a boat? Why?"

When we invite them onboard for a weekend cruise, and their first morning onboard is breakfast on the sundeck, the questions fade pretty quickly....

Funny how I was trying to see how the swim platform is so essential to docking - you know the story about assume - I assumed everybody's dock was like the ones near me. I had to build this portable step that slips in between the rail and the sedan wall just so my wife could climb up to the dock

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 109
Haven't had a need to use them (boarding ladder and swim platform) in 2.8 years, but there they are.

img_201832_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

Hi Mark

I LOVE your retractable swim platform! If/when I get to it I may construct a "special one" for our Tolly... yours is my instigator and its shape will influence my pattern. We swim off ours every time weather and water temp permits, as well as using it every time for boarding our tow behind runabout and for me to enjoy performing underwater unit maintenance... several times per year.

Soon to be Happy New Years to you and yours! :thumb:

Attachments

• TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0421.jpg
    TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0421.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 106
I will admit that my swim platform is narrow and you do have to climb down about 5 feet from the sundeck but the easy thing I will do is extend the platform width by at least 15 inches. once extended I may have a spiral step created with a railing that way as I get older it will be easier to use. There is no perfect boat, you just have to find the one best suited for you at the time and either change boats as needs change or change the boat you have as needs change.

I see a few recommendations for the Krogen Manatee. The bigger Whaleback is also a contender. All living is done on one level that opens to back porch. One flight up is the pilot house. A stair leads up. No need to go upstairs unless you're underway. For day to day living, stay down. Save your knees.

Hi Mark

I LOVE your retractable swim platform! ...

Did you know the platform was an extra-cost option? Didn't order it but the builder goofed. Once installed, it became free.

Did you know the platform was an extra-cost option? Didn't order it but the builder goofed. Once installed, it became free.

I now recall you saying that some time ago. You should be pleased as punch... although I believe you've mentioned that you never use it or its swim ladder. :ermm: Swimming is GOOD for ya! :D

If per chance you or anyone else were to fall over board (even though you have tall railing) that ladder and step could come in real handy! :thumb:

If per chance you or anyone else were to fall over board (even though you have tall railing) that ladder and step could come in real handy! :thumb:

Yes it is. A recovery system/plan is also essential.

img_202021_0_430876282d899d3820076a5bc336cccc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom