Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Marty is right about the Manatee. One 2" step from the stateroom, one 3 inch step into the salon, and that's it. The Krogen Whaleback is also an excellent boat for single level. At least one of our owners has an elevator built in for reaching the pilothouse. Europa models of many boats are also better for access.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #42
FF
Guru

The real question is will the boats basic use change?

A boat built for weekend fun trips will have a vastly different interior design from a traveling boat that may see 6 ft seas.

IF its a home afloat , flat floors seems to be the easiest to grow old on.Europa?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
Guru

City: Pensacola
I have read your blog Moonstruck. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing with us a memory of your wife.

Jeff
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #44

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Kevin expressed it well that every boat is a compromise in some way if not physical then at least financial. I am especially delighted to hear how owners of sundeck models love the design. For my personal use, which is more live-aboard than extended cruising, that is the compromise which makes sense. It is also a reflection of the high docks so common in my area.

This thread made me think about sitting in the cockpit having coffee. On my existing boat it is too low to see over the dock. On the other hand when I sit on the bridge to have my morning cup it seems too high and I am facing the wrong way. I think the sundeck compromise is the way to go for me.

I think it was Kulu that gave me the best laugh.
" I always just thought it was normal to contort myself into some kind of abnormal position to access a filter,connection,hose,pump,socket dropped in the bilge,etc, or endlessly walk up and down stairs to get anywhere on the boat. It is, after all, a boat."

Well, I am hoping to do just a wee bit better than that
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We're often asked the inevitable question- "you live on a boat? Why?"

When we invite them onboard for a weekend cruise, and their first morning onboard is breakfast on the sundeck, the questions fade pretty quickly....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #46

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Funny how I was trying to see how the swim platform is so essential to docking - you know the story about assume - I assumed everybody's dock was like the ones near me. I had to build this portable step that slips in between the rail and the sedan wall just so my wife could climb up to the dock

Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Haven't had a need to use them (boarding ladder and swim platform) in 2.8 years, but there they are.

Hi Mark

I LOVE your retractable swim platform! If/when I get to it I may construct a "special one" for our Tolly... yours is my instigator and its shape will influence my pattern. We swim off ours every time weather and water temp permits, as well as using it every time for boarding our tow behind runabout and for me to enjoy performing underwater unit maintenance... several times per year.

Soon to be Happy New Years to you and yours!
Attached Thumbnails
TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0421.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #48

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I will admit that my swim platform is narrow and you do have to climb down about 5 feet from the sundeck but the easy thing I will do is extend the platform width by at least 15 inches. once extended I may have a spiral step created with a railing that way as I get older it will be easier to use. There is no perfect boat, you just have to find the one best suited for you at the time and either change boats as needs change or change the boat you have as needs change.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #49

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
I see a few recommendations for the Krogen Manatee. The bigger Whaleback is also a contender. All living is done on one level that opens to back porch. One flight up is the pilot house. A stair leads up. No need to go upstairs unless you're underway. For day to day living, stay down. Save your knees.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi Mark

I LOVE your retractable swim platform! ...
Did you know the platform was an extra-cost option? Didn't order it but the builder goofed. Once installed, it became free.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #51
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Did you know the platform was an extra-cost option? Didn't order it but the builder goofed. Once installed, it became free.
I now recall you saying that some time ago. You should be pleased as punch... although I believe you've mentioned that you never use it or its swim ladder. Swimming is GOOD for ya!

If per chance you or anyone else were to fall over board (even though you have tall railing) that ladder and step could come in real handy!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

If per chance you or anyone else were to fall over board (even though you have tall railing) that ladder and step could come in real handy!
Yes it is. A recovery system/plan is also essential.

Tags
knees, stairs