Combining lead & lithium batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got LPO in part because I was scared of my LA.

Speaking of not being understood... Yes, Li (lithium metal) is reactive with water, but there is virtually zero Li metal in a Lithium Ion battery. The cathode is Lithium Iron Phosphate which contains Li atoms, but they are part of a more complex molecule. It's no different from H2O. Hydrogen is extremely explosive, but water isn't even though it contains hydrogen atoms.

I think in pretty much every way, LFP are safer than lead acid batteries, not more dangerous. Remember, lead acid batteries 1) contain lead, one of the most poisonous substances on earth, 2) contain sulfuric acid, one of the most corrosive substances on earth, and 3) emit hydrogen gas, one of the most explosive substances on earth. I'll take LFP any day over lead acid.

Yes! LiFePO4 chemistry is very safe, as further demonstrated by some attempted destructive testing performed by ABYC. See this thread - https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/lifepo4-abyc-sept-2022-newsletter-65516.html

Basically, the ABYC techs were unable to create a dangerous scenario involving LiFePO4 raw cells.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding of the different Li-based chemistries, lots of education still needed.

Most people don't really understand the chemistry of LiPo batteries. The claims that Li-iron are 'safe' is a relative statement. They are safer that Li-cobalt but not safer than lead acid. What layman don't understand is that Li itself is highly flammable as is the electrolyte used which contains Li ions. Li is extremely reactive to oxygen and water. Any puncture of a Li battery is extremely dangerous and can lead to fires. Also internal shorts can cause fires. So the claims of how safe these batteries are must be put in the proper context. If you have one in a boat you should really consider a fire proof container to contain any fire should one occur. This is how aircraft (e.g. Boeing 787) help contain the risk.
. Yeah....not so much. The persistent level of misinformation about LiFePO4 chemistry is a wonder.

The batteries on 787s are a completely different chemistry than that on boats.

Sterling offers a separate device the call a "Battery Chemistry Module" that allows a single charger to handle multiple battery types. Its about $300 US.
https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/batterychemistrymodule-2.aspx
I just installed a Sterling Power ProCharge Ultra : 12 Volt, 50 Amp Marine Battery Charger to handle the 2 new 8D AGM batteries in my house bank. So far I am very happy with it. I like the remote panel in the pilothouse!

This device sounds very interesting! But As I read on there is a draw back.

"Setting the Main Battery charger ( not the module ). The main a/c mulatable output battery charger must be set to the lowest battery type setting"

That means that one bank is not being fully charged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom