Columbus replica ships in Houma, La.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Replicas of the Nina and Pinta are spending about a week at the Houma City Marina, Louisiana,*mile 57 west of Harvey Locks.

I went by for a visit with my Ganddaughter and a friend of hers they enjoyed the tour.

The ships are built of wood one in Brazil the other, I think, in Spain. theu have modern electronics covered by a tarp for the tours, and diesel propulsion. They* have*an Aluminum outboard pusher to assist*docking carried on*stern mounted*davits. It was an interesting vist. They will be travelling along the ICW and stopping in Texas and will be at the Conrtaband Days celebrations in Lake Charles, La.*

For complete details check out** http://www.thenina.com/

Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Monday 20th of February 2012 02:07:19 PM

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 08:57:36 AM

Attachments

• nina & pinta.jpg
    nina & pinta.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 94
  • columbus pinta pusher.jpg
    columbus pinta pusher.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 72
RE: Coulumbus replica ships in Houma, La.

Steve, that is great. I seem to remember seeing one or both of these ships in Baton Rouge on the Mississippi River a few years ago.

I saw one of them many years ago when I lived in Gulfport, Ms. I dont remember for sure, but I think it was in Pascagoula, Ms.

Anyway, it was impressive. The most memorable part was that it was much smaller than I thought it would be. I think around 80 or 90 foot long.

Definitely worth seeing. The crew was very well groomed about the history and workings of the original ships.

They get around. They both were here in Punta Gorda a month ago. Back in 2006 the Nina was in Columbus Marina on the Tenn Tom. The day it left a front came in with 30 mph winds and it was pined to the dock. Someone got out the Chapmans and we rigged some spring lines and around she went and off to sea.

Back
Top Bottom