Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Columbia River Bar

For those who have read us folks in the PNW talking about crossing the river bars but can't really envision it, here is a video that will give you an idea of what we're talking about. This is the Columbia River Bar on an it-can-be-way-worse-than-this day. While the cameraman is pretty amazed by it all it's something these commercial fishing boats don't seem to think much about doing. As you watch the video imagine yourself out there with your boat.......

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
This is the Columbia River Bar on an it-can-be-way-worse-than-this day.
?? That was filmed in New Zealand.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Try googling 'greymouth' or 'grey river bar'. Me-thinks that's New Zealand...

Messy water makes messy pants. Me? I'd wait a few hours until things were a wee bit less jumpy.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I would have punched the second guy in the mouth. I don't know what it is but it happens here as well. You can go fishing 100 miles from the shore and there is always some a hole right on your stern. Watching this vid just pisses me off. How close can the guy get!
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Guru

Can someone explain that structure projecting from the port side of #8876? A permanent flopper-stopper?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
YE GODS Marin how do you find such stuff?

Utterly amazing and at the beginning that guy was actually out on the foredeck! Now there is the most compelling case for flopper stoppers I've ever seen. The trailing boat was abeam to the seas for a bit.

Just amazing.

You'd think these guys would know something about boating and and seamanship and I see proudly on the bow a Navy type anchor. But then regarding seamanship there was the guy on deck and as swampu pointed out they were much too close.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

The video was sent to me and the sender said it was the Columbia River and I didn't check any farther.. I wondered about the accent but figured it was a traveling video crew. Sorry about the mislocation. However the river bars here do the same thing and the commercial fishermen look just like this when they cross them coming back in. We've watched them from the jetty at the Columbia.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I would have punched the second guy in the mouth. I don't know what it is but it happens here as well. You can go fishing 100 miles from the shore and there is always some a hole right on your stern. Watching this vid just pisses me off. How close can the guy get!
The extreme compression of the long lens makes the two boats seem way closer than they actually were. In reality I think there was plenty of distance between them.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
You'd think these guys would know something about boating and and seamanship and I see proudly on the bow a Navy type anchor. But then regarding seamanship there was the guy on deck and as swampu pointed out they were much too close.
Maybe this situation is routine for those fishermen.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

Last year I crewed for a delivery Capt. returning a boat to Portland Ore. from San Juan Is. A 1965 65' Feadship. I was anticipating a lively crossing of the Columbia bar but due to our timing with the tides it was a non event. There was plenty of surf but not in the channel. After a point the skipper says that's it, you just crossed the bar. I was mildly dissapointed. Here is a video and a couple of shots of the Fransus.
Attached Files
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I took my Willard 30 (years ago) from Portland to Seattle, crossing the Columbia Bar in the process. I timed it to go out on the high side of the ebb tide and it was a non-event -- just great big swells! The rest of the trip? Well, that's a different story.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
I took my Willard 30 (years ago) from Portland to Seattle, crossing the Columbia Bar in the process. I timed it to go out on the high side of the ebb tide and it was a non-event -- just great big swells! The rest of the trip? Well, that's a different story.

dvd
Do you mean flood tide? When ever we leave the Golden Gate in San Francisco we always time the crossing of the "potato patch" on a flood tide to reduce steep waves on the swell.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
This is a video I found on the Nitnat Narrows west side Vancouver island. Great place for butt pucker moments. Not my video but kinda shows the bar at what I believe to be a small tide drop. You have to get sideways to the rock that sits at the entrance to the bar and time the turn and jump out.

It is the only place to take cover when running from Barkley sound to Renfrew. Years ago running the coast with a compass, charts, CB radio left a few gaps in weather reports, predictions along the coast for me. Used to be all about the fishing.

Getting in with a building sea behind and outflow through the narrows yet not wanting to be out there is well breath taking.

Not a great video but there dont seem to be many around.

One of my dreams is to the run the oldboat through the narrows and into the lakes.

Marin ya in ?
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Do you mean flood tide? When ever we leave the Golden Gate in San Francisco we always time the crossing of the "potato patch" on a flood tide to reduce steep waves on the swell.
I prefer slack tide. The less current over the shoal the better.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Location? The background voice accent is Australian or New Zealand. Greymouth, if that is the location, is a major town on the west coast of the beautiful South Island of NZ. The Trans Alpine railway(amazing scenery trip popular with tourists) runs to Christchurch.
That is a flopper stopper out on the port side(s). Interesting only one is out. These guys must know the bar.
I thought the last 2 boats were competing. Amazing, but probably all in a day`s work for these guys. Got to get those fish to market fresh.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

I think it's the same two boats all the way through the video. The one behind moves across the stern of the first one.

If this is AU or NZ, does anyone know what kind of fishing these boats do? They appeared to have pot pullers beside the wheelhouse which led me to believe they were crab boats coming back in after checking their pots off the WA-OR coast. Obviously that's wrong, but I'd be interested to know what kind of fishing they do. The boats do not seem to be rigged for any sort of net fishing.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
If this is AU or NZ, does anyone know what kind of fishing these boats do? They appeared to have pot pullers beside the wheelhouse which led me to believe they were crab boats coming back in after checking their pots.. The boats do not seem to be rigged for any sort of net fishing.
It could be cray (lobster) fishing. Unsure about NZ, but there is a big cray fishing industry off Western Australia (state) and in Tasmania (southern island state). There is an active live cray export trade,mainly into Asia.
When PeterB finishes his morning coffee we might get better NZ info.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
The first boat with one fish out, this semi ridgid style is also popular here in Australia. They use aerofoil shaped vertical s/s bars to cut down resistance. Must admit if that was me I would have stowed the fish as it would have been creating drag on one side of the vessel. Although the other one seemed to be making more heavy weather of it.
That vid has been around for some time as i have seen it on other sites here in Aus.
Fishing wise they look like multi purpose vessels,. trolling outriggers, and also long line shooters on the back deck so probably do various styles of fishing over the seasons.

I think all our boating areas have some serious bar crossings at times.
Here in Qld we have a couple of doozeys, Wide Bay Bar at the south of Fraser Island can be an absolute whacker but at other times a mill pond.
I allways cross on the last of the flood tide (last 2 to 3 hrs) no push aginst the swell and also gives the under flow plenty of time to stop.
One can never be to sure about these things as it only takes one rogue wave to completely upset you day.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
For those who have read us folks in the PNW talking about crossing the river bars but can't really envision it, here is a video that will give you an idea of what we're talking about. This is the Columbia River Bar on an it-can-be-way-worse-than-this day. While the cameraman is pretty amazed by it all it's something these commercial fishing boats don't seem to think much about doing. As you watch the video imagine yourself out there with your boat.......

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0
oh goodie i love bar crossings

Wow. Thanks Marin. Now everyone knows what i mean by bar crossing. Much more fun than even a roller coaster.
This is why Oregon Dungeness crab fishing is now listed as the most dangerous job. Used to be Alaskas Bering sea fishing but the last three years more commercial fisermen have died crabbing in Oregon than were lost fishing in Alaskas Berring sea.
The last day i crossed the bar at Coos Bay maybe a month ago two commercial fishermen visited Davy J just north of me crossing the bar at Tillomook Oregon. I tell you they can get hariy in a heartbeat.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, that would be the Geymouth, or possibly Westport bar off the west coast of the South Island of NZ for sure. Those guys do it all the time, and they keep together so they can help each other if one of then comes unstuck. All the same, they have lost some boats coming in on a really bad day. But its their living, so somebody's got to do it.
I'm not sure exactly what they mainly catch, but the fact one brave sole on the rear boat took a photo before diving back inside suggests the waves were even impressing them a bit...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote