Coffee making underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markbarendt

Vessel Name
Vessel Make
Ocean Marine
My go to coffee maker for a while has been an Areopress, works great at home and at anchor. Underway I'm worried about trying to pour boiling water.

What's your preferences on coffee makers that are workable when the boat is rocking and pitching and the autopilot is adjusting course and all that jazz?

My go to coffee maker for a while has been an Areopress, works great at home and at anchor. Underway I'm worried about trying to pour boiling water.

What's your preferences on coffee makers that are workable when the boat is rocking and pitching and the autopilot is adjusting course and all that jazz?
Mark - I use an electric tea kettle in the sink underway. I too like the aeropress.

I have also used a single serve K-Cup coffee machine which is fairly roll-proof.

Good luck

Peter

Single-cup Keurig - straight into the cup. No issues.

I gave up trying to drink coffee in my car. I spilled more than I ever drank. If your boat is pitching and rolling I think the least of your worries would be pouring boiling water over coffee grounds. You will never get to drink it anyway, even from a spill proof container.

That being said..I have always had a pour over "Mr Coffee" type coffee maker. It is 120 volt which can be a pain. I'm thinking of going with a french press this year.

pete

Drip coffee makers into an INSULATED and NOT a glass pot just make sense in a boat. At home I use an old fashioned percolator. BOTH these methods of making coffee just make the most sense to me.

I tried making French press coffee and just find the result unsatisfactory as it always seems too low in temperature for me both at home and on a boat. Plus I find it messier requiring more water to clean than drip coffee.

Been on the water most of my life on things from 21 feet to 399 (well smaller... but not usually drinking coffee at sea). In very choppy to hurricane conditions a lot of the time.

I don't think I have ever seen a regular seaman not drink coffee. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Depending on how fancy you like your coffee will drive the direction your creativity follows.

Been on the water most of my life on things from 21 feet to 399 (well smaller... but not usually drinking coffee at sea). In very choppy to hurricane conditions a lot of the time.

I don't think I have ever seen a regular seaman not drink coffee. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Depending on how fancy you like your coffee will drive the direction your creativity follows.
Amen. If I were a trapeze artist, I'd figure out how go make a cup of Joe at first light.

Peter

Usual morning coffee is cone filter pour over into a thermos carafe. After that’s empty and when on longer overnight trips we use a Keurig.

We fill a thermos before leaving anchorage.

We do this!

Usual morning coffee is cone filter pour over into a thermos carafe. After that’s empty and when on longer overnight trips we use a Keurig.

So we are an electric boat. So gen set started. Fire up the Mr. Coffee, pour into thermos. Maybe make another pot if it is going to be a long day.

To the OP: Great subject and thanks for bringing it up. Good boating subject. :thumb::thumb:

The amperage draw from our Keurig (via the inverter) is sometimes enough to trip off the autopilot....a little alarming on a dark bumpy night in the middle of a Lake Michigan shipping lane. So I either have to start the genset or revert to a can of double shot Starbucks.....or opt for a bigger battery bank and maybe inverter... Canned Starbucks it is.

Age has its habits. Alway start a coffee gounds pot on the stove before engine start.
Pull out of the anchorage or port with a cup of hot 'Joe" in hand.
Keep the pot on low till it becomes too strong then the last real coffee of the pot. Start over again,

Keurig for us. Simple and easy.

Why make it underway unless you are cruising 24 hours or more in one go. My grandfather was a CN engineer, took passenger trains from Jasper Alta to Edson and back, freight before that.

In the morning, he'd make a large pot of coffee then fill his large thermos up, this was back in the late 50's so he foreshadowed the modern coffee urn that is SS and double walled vacuum sealed. I bought one of those litre and a half (quart and a half) vacuum pour thingy also vacuum sealed for coffee on the go or hot chocolate on the go (off season cruising).

Some people may roll out of their bunk, pull anchor and go....coffee comes along the way.

Plus the question was for underway.......

Usually a pot is made into the insulated carafe good for about 5 cups before we move or if dead calm while we travel.

We will make more as the day wears on as long as conditions allow to move reasonably safely.

We happily use a Freedom Press underway. Er, French Press... Super easy and we think some of the best tasting coffee, underway or not.

Stabilizers! Then you can use whatever type coffee maker you wish!:D Within reason, that is . . .

Last edited:
Hummmm, with a working inverter and no genset running we can run a Mr Coffee, microwave or toaster while underway. Heck with our induction cooktop eggs can be on the menu too. Rough weather seldom occurs during our AM anchor departures. Later on, if winds pop up we only pour the cups half full. :thumb:

Last edited:
We fill a thermos before leaving anchorage.

That’s good until I try to keep three crew in coffee on a hop from Astoria to Port Angeles or vice versa, or out all day fishing.

Keurig.
First cup when the engine is warming up, and the second while underway. Always solo in these covid times but it is a quick sprint (okay, a slow lumber) down to the galley for the next cup.
Starbucks Sumatra is my choice, although other Starbucks blends will suffice in a pinch.

Nespresso + Aeroccino

We happily use a Freedom Press underway. Er, French Press... Super easy and we think some of the best tasting coffee, underway or not.

That's an interesting idea.

As a side note - we like the Hook and Moor you got us.

What he said....

Stabilizers! Then you can use whatever type coffee maker you wish!:D Within reason, that is . . .

We wake up, throw lines, and do everything, underway. Drip coffee maker, no problem. Shower, no problem. Cook on the stove, no problem. Stabilizers mean never having to say sorry to anyone below decks.

Nespresso for us. Quick and for me it’s the best coffee ever. YMMV.

Old fashioned Melita, made before we leave and put in the thermos. 48 grams of Kirkland espresso ground in a Krupps burr mill, 8 cups. It’s strong. The pot is glass, so it’s safely stowed in its cardboard box and in the cupboard before we leave anchorage.

An old fashioned percolator on the stove. Making a potful is usually the first order of business. The whole goes into the thermos, then there is ample hot coffee until noon. Don't usually want more after noon.

keurig, pete's or san francisco fogbreaker.

An old fashioned percolator on the stove. Making a potful is usually the first order of business. The whole goes into the thermos, then there is ample hot coffee until noon. Don't usually want more after noon.

Brillliant! I love hearing about other percolator users. I have 2 of them. I have 2 pressure cookers, too. I use all 4!

Back
Top Bottom