Coffee making underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coffee Making Underway

Moccamaster makes the best unit I have ever used. We have one at home that brews into a glass carafe, but for the boat got their model that brews into an insulated s/s pot. Nothing is unbreakable, but this is pretty damage resistant, and it makes really good coffee, and keeps it hot for several hours. The carafe sort of locks in to place, and stays where it is supposed to in most situations. After brewing, you screw in an insulated plug that you can pour through, so even if it falls almost nothing spills.The drawbacks are that it takes up some counter space, only operates on 120V, and is a bit expensive compared with other coffee makers. The quality of the coffee it brews made it worthwhile for us, and the one at home has been working for years, they seem to be very well made. ("us.moccamaster.com")

Tried all of the above and the best one I use is the Handpresso, easy and safe to use and no coffee grounds to get rid of. Makes one expresso and you can dilute it to make a black coffee in a mug or add milk! I have the hand pump version. https://www.handpresso.com/en/

Gilbert

Out of curiosity, yesterday I made a cup of coffee on the boat for the first time since putting in the new inverter setup. So now I actually have some data on power use for coffee (with the single cup coffee maker we have aboard). Looks like the coffee maker ran for ~7 minutes using ~425 watts. 7 minutes is .1167 hours, but we'll round up to .12 to be conservative. That gives us 51 watt-hours used for my cup of coffee, or about 4.25 amp-hours at 12 volts. Not bad.

On 12V/inverter, I can use my Mr. Coffee. On generator, I can use my Keurig. On propane stove, I can use my percolator pot.

I will not be without coffee if I can help it!!

Yes, they do & I have used it successfully! My Keurig also has a button you push if you want stronger coffee.:blush:

Same here. I like the strong feature which pours the water slower for better flavor.

Kuerig is nice, and we have a small one on the boat, but I only use the reusable cups. All that plastic for a single cup of coffee disgusts me so much that I can't drink it with out a sense of nausea inducing guilt. Especially when I pull up to an uninhabited Bahamian island and find, literally, a thousand pounds of plastic trash on the beach.

I've seen some compostable pods, but have not tried them yet.

I try to limit my plastic waste and use compostable pods from SF Bay Coffee. By coincidence, their factory is a short 20 minute drive from my house in Lincoln, CA. After 90 days in the ground, the 'cups' become dirt. They have a netting, not a 'cup' and come enclosed in air tight compostable bags of 12 each so they stay fresh on the boat.

I also use the refillable Keurig pods occasionally. I use a small inner paper filter with them which greatly simplifies the grounds disposal and cleanup.

I think you're being too kind when you say "a bit of a burnt taste..." :). I would prefer sucking on a twice burnt twig than drink coffee from most of the overpriced cafe's patronned by the self ascribed coffee connoisseurs, ie snobs. :)

I agree wholeheartedly!! I refuse to buy fru-fru coffee!

Doing deliveries we get what we get, rough weather means instant coffee made with cold bottled water. 4 on 4 off watches for 10 days you do what ya gotta do.

Years ago the wife convinced me that combining food and plastic could be a health risk especially if heat is involved. So we use a glass French press or a single coffee cone made of ceramic or stainless.

Attachments

• DE34F302-767B-42EE-A882-03CB773CEB55.jpg
    DE34F302-767B-42EE-A882-03CB773CEB55.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I used a stainless percolator with security bars. Perfect , hot any only need to pour in the cup. Secret: I use the Melita disc basket filters.

We use a Turkish hand mill (set on very coarse) to grind the beans and a stainless insulated French press to make the coffee. Pretty much the same as at home except a Zassenhaus knee mill and a glass French press there. We also make Turkish coffee at home in the afternoons, but haven't done that on the boat yet.

As for coffee, most of it comes from the Rogers family San Francisco Bay Coffee (Fog Chaser and Rainforest), Peets (Major Dickinson) and interesting ones I find on the internet.

Never had AC, so completely fill metal tea kettle. Boil. Aeropress into thermos.

Btw, probably the biggest thread on cruisingforum is the coffee thread!

As for coffee, most of it comes from the Rogers family San Francisco Bay Coffee (Fog Chaser and Rainforest), Peets (Major Dickinson) and interesting ones I find on the internet.

SF Bay Dark French Roast!! Usually just one reg then one decaf. I honestly cannot tell the difference in taste between the two.

Just use a capsule machine like NESPRESSO that should be available worldwide or similar. samll amount of coffee - european style - and big cup should solve the problem

Where are we launching from that the water is so rough that we worry about spilling our coffee? If it's that rough, I'll stay at anchor or never leave the dock. Inverter will handle at least 2 pots.

My coffee is simple. First thing done when I get up... even before the piss. Use a dirt simple Mr. Coffee like machine and use regular coffee and occasionally mix in decaf for those days I want several cups. Nothing fancy, no Starbucks crap, K stuff, or expensive fancy stuff.

First cup is just with planning the days activities, checking weather (even if I'm not launching), do emails, check TF, etc. If I'm launching, it usually at first light, and mostly dead calm and often at destination before the afternoon winds pick up.

It's just not that complicated.

Where are we launching from that the water is so rough that we worry about spilling our coffee? If it's that rough, I'll stay at anchor or never leave the dock. Inverter will handle at least 2 pots.

I generally agree. If it's rough enough that making coffee under way (even if it required a boat speed adjustment) isn't reasonable, I'd either load up a thermos with coffee before departure, or more likely, it's a short enough run that I'd leave the dock with a full mug and would be fine at least until arrival, if not the rest of the day. But I'm not a "drink 12 cups a day" type. I'll usually have 1 good size cup in the morning, sometimes a second a few hours later.

My coffee is simple. First thing done when I get up... even before the piss. Use a dirt simple Mr. Coffee like machine and use regular coffee and occasionally mix in decaf for those days I want several cups. Nothing fancy, no Starbucks crap, K stuff, or expensive fancy stuff.

First cup is just with planning the days activities, checking weather (even if I'm not launching), do emails, check TF, etc. If I'm launching, it usually at first light, and mostly dead calm and often at destination before the afternoon winds pick up.

It's just not that complicated.

Hey, these are very tough folks on here. They start underway in 10 foot seas. ;)

Joking aside, I agree coffee for me is not that complicated, although it is a fun topic to talk about! I do like coffee a lot, too. In fact, I am drinking coffee right at this moment!

Last edited:
Based on the positive reviews in this thread, I bought an Aeropress and made my first cup of coffee this morning. Right out of the box it was great tasting coffee, much more to my taste than any of the dozens of Keurig K-cups I've tried. Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Google......KISS coffee.....

People also ask
What is a cowboy coffee?
Cowboy coffee is a traditional drink made by cowboys on the trail. It's brewed by heating coarse grounds with water and then pouring it into a cup after the grounds have settled.

Google......KISS coffee.....

People also ask
What is a cowboy coffee?
Cowboy coffee is a traditional drink made by cowboys on the trail. It's brewed by heating coarse grounds with water and then pouring it into a cup after the grounds have settled.

Supposedly pouring a little cold water in the pot makes the grounds sink to the bottom. I’ve never tried it but hear it works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom