Coffee challenge, Freeze dried versus pod crap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Yes, but the Starbucks group doesn't drink plain coffee. Fancy like on my list. :)

Oh my.....hubby and I must be lazy then and must have always been. When we're working we get out of bed earlier and when cruising. :)

I think there's some validity though to your hard work and caffeine connection and often the caffeine is coffee although a lot of young people go for energy drinks. :ermm:

I think you're missing the level of laziness I'm referring to. Get out of bed; sit on the couch for a couple of hours, then make lunch.

I would agree that it's caffeine not hot coffee that many seek. Many more choices in your "wake me up" drink than just 30 years ago.

Ted

I'm sold on K cups and just found many Jamaican Blue mountain kups at price ranging from .60 to $5 per cup.

I used to really like Blue in a pot but never tried the K cups any one have any K cup blue suggestions?

Freeze dried coffee is typically cheap robusta - yuck...

I grind my beans on the boat and brew in a french press - It makes me happy.
Any good bean you buy in a sealed bag will be blanketed in nitrogen to give you a good long shelf life. After you open 'em, use 'em...

K-Cups contain anywhere from 8 to 13 grams of coffee each. If you want the convenience, look at the box weight to help you identify stronger brews.

Happy sipping!

I've tried them all. My challenge is two fold. First, I'm an incredibly early riser and a slow coffee drinker so not keen on a full pot. Second, I travel a lot and tend to show up late at night. Buying fresh coffee for early morning is a problem.

Keurig works well as the pods store for a long time. Best Kuerig for my taste is Starbucks French Roast or Italian Roast. I make a short cup of around 7 ozs. I like the fact that it stores so long so I have a cup when I get to the boat late but I hate the waste.

French Press is good but needs fresh coffee and it takes quite a bit of water to clean. Also better with at least a couple cups. The double walled pots are not vacuum insulated so do not hold heat for long

Nespresso is great but more of an espresso than a coffee. I buy the lungo capsules and make a 4 Oz pour. Small, attractive machine but capsules take up space and are somewhat expensive and can must be Mail ordered.

My current go-to for coffee is Aeropress, more or less same principle as French Press but a single cup. Makes dynamite coffee and it's easy to clean. Relatively cheap and very portable. I carry a small brick of Bustello or Pilon cuban ground coffee. It's more or less espresso grind and vacuum packed and lasts for months.

Peter. View attachment 103758

I was scrolling through thinking/conjuring my reply and the above would have been mine.

We have tried various methods-- french press (easy but I dont like the taste), a bigger Mr coffee that was built into the galley (it was okay), K cups are flavored water, and we just bought a newer boat and it had this petite 4 cup mr coffee that was unusually small and easy to store. We tried it and it was ok-- we like Petes Coffe Major Dickersons blend

Our newest like is the Aero Press shown above. Its indestructible, you can re-use the little silver dollar sized filters a bunch of times (it recommends it on their website) and tastes decent. The key is to make it upside down, add the grounds, add the water, stir it once, add the perforated cap, then let it sit for a minute, turn it right side up, place over your cup, and push the plunger down and you have great coffee.

Reminder, when you empty the old grounds out, dont lose the perforated cap in the trash.

I love the Nespresso, but dont want to be beholden to the company for refills and when travelling in the bahamas, etc its impossible to get refills plus at about $1.50 per cup, it leaves a bitter taste!

For my fellow Nespresso Pixie owners:

I just put in a mega order for Peet’s Nespresso-compatible capsules. They are amazing! Really strong dark coffee, maybe a tad less $ than Nespresso. Give ‘em a try!

https://www.peets.com/

French Press for us. Double wall Bodum - largest model keeps coffee hot for next cup.

We also have a Moka for when we want an espresso, or only can get ground espresso.

I use a moka pot(s). It has the added benefit of making the coffee strong. I use stovetop versions but there are electric ones out there. It’s a reverse filter system, steam forces boiling water from the bottom up through the reusable metal filter into the pot.

My favorite version that isn’t antique is sold by IKEA - it is stainless and sounds like a steam engine when done which is nice, to remind you that you have coffee on the boil and prevents forgetfulness and burning. The ubiquitous red enamel cast aluminum version is all over Amazon and it isn’t bad either.

Last edited:
Guess I’m closer to the coffee snob end. We use a Jura capresso E8 on the boat and have a bigger unit at home.
Coffee is a real pleasure to me.
The machine grinds whole beans and makes either coffee or espresso.

For a rich tasting coffee try Indian Mysore Nuggets(available as green beans from Burmans coffee). Roasted at home with a Gene cafe coffee roaster, 1 lb. bags sealed with food saver and frozen.

When we cruise each year, I take about 30 lbs. of the roasted beans to make sure we don’t run out.
Seems that we always have “friends” stopping by in the morning to have a cup of coffee.

Tom Hanaway
Tango Papa II
2005 Endeavor Trawlercat 44
Gold-2017

I am a huge coffee nerd/snob.

I have both a single cup Keurig on board as well as a moderate sized Nespresso. The Keurig is for the people who want "a cup of coffee" and don't really have tastebuds. It also makes tea really well, I will say. I have tasted the coffee from it a few times, and it is ... water with caffeine in it.

The Nespresso is for me as I prefer ... espresso. A lot of the time I also use an Aeroccino to make latte foam. It is good, and I am glad I have it on board to make a decent cup of espresso. I like the mid-level roasts, not the bold ones, and there are plenty to choose from. I hate the waste, and the coffee is just good, not great.

I also have a Nanopresso (https://seabits.com/portable-low-power-espresso-on-the-boat-with-nanopresso/) which I wrote about - it's a manual pump espresso device that can use Nespresso pods or finely ground coffee. The finely ground option is actually better than the Nespresso mainly because it is fresher, as I grind it right before using it. However, it requires a bit more work.

At home I have a commercial double brew head La Marcozzo. I would love to have one of those on board, but that would take up my entire galley, and require a separate generator :) I have a Rocket as well at home, which is much smaller and less power, but still way too much to use on the boat for now....

Guess I’m closer to the coffee snob end. We use a Jura capresso E8 on the boat and have a bigger unit at home.
Coffee is a real pleasure to me.
The machine grinds whole beans and makes either coffee or espresso.

Ooh this was one of the machines I was considering adding to the boat. There's another model, which I forget the number of, that also has a milk frother which was interesting as well. What sort of electrical load do you see with this unit? Any pros/cons?

We have tried various methods-- french press (easy but I dont like the taste)

When I first tried French press, I didn't dislike it but I didn't love it. But for whatever reason I tried it out a number of times, then put it away to sit for another year. It was during one of these french press sabbaticals that I began to suspect what I was reacting to was the "creamy" nature of the coffee. More small, infinitely small ground coffee made it through the filter and into the coffee than a drip coffee brew.

Eventually I learned to enjoy the creamier coffee and the taste the french press provided.

We make our coffee on board using a French Press. We use a portable water boiler (kettle with heating element) which boils the water in about 2-3 minutes using little power. Coffee tastes great, is hot and made to order in minutes.

Steve, glad to reply as I am totally envious of your Marcozzo.
The E8 nestles nicely in the corner of the galley.
No downsides other than minor convenience that the hopper doesn’t hold as Many beans as I might like.
We have a 3000 watt Xantrex inverter and the machine runs fine off that so no need for generator.
We don’t make any fancy drinks just coffee and espresso.
If you do go with Jura, they have a new model for around $999. D something. Stay away from that unit. We tried it and the construction was of a clearly lesser state than their other machines.
Tom H

Ooh this was one of the machines I was considering adding to the boat. There's another model, which I forget the number of, that also has a milk frother which was interesting as well. What sort of electrical load do you see with this unit? Any pros/cons?

Fresh ground coffee in a French press, both at home and on the boat. To conserve space, I bought a Turkish coffee grinder that does both coarse and also fine enough for true Turkish coffee.

Most of my coffee is bought mail order, but I do like Peet's Major Dickinson.

Maybe get one of the refillable K-cups and bring your own coffee?

Guess that I am one of the few who will admit that I like my Keurig. :)

I drink about 3 cups of coffee per day and my wife drinks 2 cups. We like the Keurig as whenever in the day we want a coffee it is always fresh!

I usually drink Starbucks, but there is a Weis Supermarket Jamaican coffee that I like when I want something different. My wife likes a more mild coffee and usually drinks Gevalia's Signature Blend.

I will concede, however, that the Keurig is not as good as my daughter's Nespresso. Her coffee though cost more than $1 a cup while the Keurig is about 50 cents per cup.

I will also confess that we are not as economical with our coffee as my Grandmother was with her coffee. She would make a pot of coffee in the morning, she and my Grandfather would have a cup with breakfast, then she would put the remaining coffee in the refrigerator and drink cold coffee with milk (something that I never heard of in the 70's!) during the rest of the day.

Jim

I've tried them all. My challenge is two fold. First, I'm an incredibly early riser and a slow coffee drinker so not keen on a full pot. Second, I travel a lot and tend to show up late at night. Buying fresh coffee for early morning is a problem.

Keurig works well as the pods store for a long time. Best Kuerig for my taste is Starbucks French Roast or Italian Roast. I make a short cup of around 7 ozs. I like the fact that it stores so long so I have a cup when I get to the boat late but I hate the waste.

French Press is good but needs fresh coffee and it takes quite a bit of water to clean. Also better with at least a couple cups. The double walled pots are not vacuum insulated so do not hold heat for long

Nespresso is great but more of an espresso than a coffee. I buy the lungo capsules and make a 4 Oz pour. Small, attractive machine but capsules take up space and are somewhat expensive and can must be Mail ordered.

My current go-to for coffee is Aeropress, more or less same principle as French Press but a single cup. Makes dynamite coffee and it's easy to clean. Relatively cheap and very portable. I carry a small brick of Bustello or Pilon cuban ground coffee. It's more or less espresso grind and vacuum packed and lasts for months.

I second the Aeropress, pods, cups, and decent freeze dried are all super expensive and mostly mediocre. The Aeropress gives you excellent coffee, easy variety, less waste, and is cheaper than the others.

Wow - proved a popular subject. I guess we all, (well nearly all), love our coffee. I like a nice coffee, I wouldn't say I'm addicted, nor a snob. In fact any good coffee is ok by me, and I don't care too much how it's made. What I hate is bad coffee. Many folk end up making bad coffee, especially from those pods - of any make of description - by basically being too lazy to have extra hot water, and/or milk ready to add to the shot, and end up basically filling the damn mug or cup by continuing the machine water flow, and extracting way past bitter.

Most pods do an ok coffee if that mistake is avoided I find.
Our preference is Espresso, made on a trusty DeLonghi which is over ten years old, and yet they are still making the same model, with only minor cosmetic changes all this time later, and that to me speaks volumes. Anyone else have one of these..? It basically does everything, from grinding the beans, with several strength and extraction options and can do frothed milk if preferred. It tells you when to empty the grounds, fill the tank, even descale, whatever...the critical thing is just decent beans or grounds, AND NOT TO OVER-EXTRACT, is all...:D

Attachments

• 3BD140EC-4236-4927-8C0A-8D3B79880AF9.jpg
    3BD140EC-4236-4927-8C0A-8D3B79880AF9.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
I used to drink coffee, but when my wife was pregnant with our older son (he's 21 now) we both gave it up. She has started drinking it again since then, but only a couple of cups a day. She drinks basic coffee from the grocery store, Seattle's Best or the like. Our older son drinks a cup if we have it around, our younger son (17) tried and and has now mostly quit. We use a drip coffee maker.

As for me, I find I feel way better without caffeine. I suffer from hyperhydrosis and coffee really gets me going. I mean so bad that after a couple of cups my hands will drip onto my pants legs and soak them through or leave a 18" puddle on my desk. Sorry if that is TMI. I think I'm intolerant of caffeine, if I have to make a late night drive I drink a cup of coffee and I'll be awake until 6 or 7 AM the next morning.

My Cuban friends and customers push Cuban coffee on me when I am down in South Florida. It makes me super jittery and uncomfortable.

Even decaf affects me some, though not as extreme. I like the taste of coffee and enjoy the smell, but for me it's just not worth it.

Wow - proved a popular subject. I guess we all, (well nearly all), love our coffee. I like a nice coffee, I wouldn't say I'm addicted, nor a snob. In fact any good coffee is ok by me, and I don't care too much how it's made. What I hate is bad coffee. Many folk end up making bad coffee, especially from those pods - of any make of description - by basically being too lazy to have extra hot water, and/or milk ready to add to the shot, and end up basically filling the damn mug or cup by continuing the machine water flow, and extracting way past bitter.

Most pods do an ok coffee if that mistake is avoided I find.
Our preference is Espresso, made on a trusty DeLonghi which is over ten years old, and yet they are still making the same model, with only minor cosmetic changes all this time later, and that to me speaks volumes. Anyone else have one of these..? It basically does everything, from grinding the beans, with several strength and extraction options and can do frothed milk if preferred. It tells you when to empty the grounds, fill the tank, even descale, whatever...the critical thing is just decent beans or grounds, AND NOT TO OVER-EXTRACT, is all...:D
Got the same one!

Not a snob... but do love coffee...

I’ve had and enjoyed many of the mentioned styles - pour-overs, French press, old style drips, etc. but frankly, whether it’s o’dark:30 or 0800, who got time for heating water, scooping and spilling grounds, etc. when you’re all blurry eyed?! Prep that stuff the night before! My Keurig has water in it, and I pre-fill my K-cup with good coffee. In the morning, I get up, the timer has my machine hot and ready even if I can barely function. Hit the button (it’s pre-programmed for the slower drip to enhance the flavor.) And a minute later a decent cup of hot coffee I enjoy.

On a related note, the latest “major” study says that coffee IS good for you... IF it’s been run through a paper filter! :facepalm: So, now I guess I need to look for a new brewer. Going to try the Ninja with the thermal carafe. It’ll still let me do a single cup, or a short carafe - all pre programmed. :dance:

I was going to post this too. Impressive design, and as you say, easy to clean up. Easy to adjust the strength too. I'm using a couple of scoops.

A bit of a coffee snob here... I buy from these folks (no connection). They roast the same day they ship, reinvest back into small farmers, and all coffee comes from the same altitude and is not blended. www.shareroastery.com If you want some really good coffee, try these folks. We use a small drip unit on the boat with bottled water and have a vintage 50's percolator in the house.

My selection of on-board coffee equipment. Different items based on wants; have small footprints and easy to store. I ditched the cup that came with the drip maker as a 20oz yeti cup fits perfectly and is much nicer. All are in Amazon.

Adjustments.JPG
View attachment 1View attachment 1

Not sure what the other photos are....

Adjustments.JPG

Wife won’t allow anything we eat to touch plastic, especially plastic that gets heated.
That rule eliminates most if not all automatic makers and definitely K cups.
Only high grade stainless or glass allowed.
She follows the same rules when processing our honey from the hive.
I used to think she was crazy about these type of rules but she’s been right too many times...

So we use a grinder that has a stainless burr.
From there it goes to a glass French press with stainless press parts.
Water is boiled in an electric stainless rapid boiler.
From there it goes though a stainless filter placed over stainless or glass cup/mug.
She noticed her cholesterol levels went up after doing this and learned that the coffee oils from the French press method can raise cholesterol so she added an organic bamboo paper filter into the stainless filter. This gets much of the oil out. Both our cholesterol levels went back down with no other changes.
I know it’s the oil that supposedly is what makes French press coffee good but ...

We can use this process pretty easily on the boat.
Sometimes we use a stainless camp percolator on the stove too.

Last edited:
Wife won’t allow anything we eat to touch plastic, especially plastic that gets heated.

Well that's commendable.

I assume you don't ever eat out or get something to drink while you're out. Pretty much eliminates most prepared food, carryout, and most meat sold in supermarkets. That eliminates most beverages and condiments.

While I'm not a big fan or many uses for plastic, couldn't imagine eliminating consumption of anything that touched plastic.

Ted

I use Nespresso with Diavolito capsules in the new machine. Ristretto in the classic machines. I did find out Nespresso machines require a true sine wave inverter when I made my first cup on my wooden Friendship sloop, as I had to replace the inverter I had just installed! On the Nordhavn I have more room, so I use the big Nespresso which allows other people to have regular coffee. For me, it is always espresso.
Best,
Maldwin

I'm just throwing this out there from a wee bit of a coffee snob and I know most of you are aware of this, but I also know not all of you know this. How strong a coffee is concerning caffeine content is only marginally affected by the bean. How strong a caffeine content of coffee is relies more on the amount of time the bean or grind is in contact with the water.

So the strongest coffee (caffeine) is the old cowboy perc coffee on the campfire. This coffee was left on the fire for a long time, and perc'd the ever loving life out of the bean and was at maximum caffeine strength. And one of the least strong coffee's (caffeine) is espresso. I will use the Starbucks timing for espresso, I think it is around 23 - 26 seconds from beginning to end of the "push." I know people say they get all jittery from this type of coffee but its all in the head. Pod coffee will have less caffeine than the same bean in cowboy coffee or cone/carafe coffee, again these two brewing methods have the longest water/bean timings.

Back
Top Bottom