Cock pit cover, core?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
We have a 34' Tolly which has a large cock pit. Nearly the same size as our salon. I got several quotes to put a bimini over it coming in the neighborhood of two boat units. This got me thinking of several things. First, why not sew one myself - Sunbrella comes in widths that wouldn't require a multi piece design. Heck even if I had to sew two panels together it wouldn't be the end of the world. But this got me thinking even further, what I really want is a hard top for the cockpit. Built in lighting, maybe a few rod holder's and able to walk on from the topside.
I would probably build it around a core. What core material would you use and why? I like the idea of Nida as its light and water wouldnt be an issue if there was any intrusion down the road. Because I want to be able to walk up there I would build in supports on the underside say 1x1 laminated with glass into the main structure. Thoughts about core material? I got a quote for a fiberglass unit and it came in at $5k. I think I could build it for materials only just over one unit. Probably more as I want to trim it out nice with recessed lights and stainless all the way around the outside both in trim and rails.

We have a 34' Tolly which has a large cock pit. Nearly the same size as our salon. I got several quotes to put a bimini over it coming in the neighborhood of two boat units. This got me thinking of several things. First, why not sew one myself - Sunbrella comes in widths that wouldn't require a multi piece design. Heck even if I had to sew two panels together it wouldn't be the end of the world. But this got me thinking even further, what I really want is a hard top for the cockpit. Built in lighting, maybe a few rod holder's and able to walk on from the topside.
I would probably build it around a core. What core material would you use and why? I like the idea of Nida as its light and water wouldnt be an issue if there was any intrusion down the road. Because I want to be able to walk up there I would build in supports on the underside say 1x1 laminated with glass into the main structure. Thoughts about core material? I got a quote for a fiberglass unit and it came in at $5k. I think I could build it for materials only just over one unit. Probably more as I want to trim it out nice with recessed lights and stainless all the way around the outside both in trim and rails.

I'm considering the same thing, replacing well worn canvas with something solid. Not necessarily strong enough to walk on but possibly strong enough for dinghy storage.

I have no advice on how to do it but I'll be waiting to see what others suggest.

Yeah, I was just quoted $6500 to have some else do it. Strong possibilty I will be doing it myself. I have experience with epoxy, marine paint, everything I need to do it myself.

Bry,

I have a dvd from Sailright on how to design and sew canvas enclosures. Borrow it if you like.

Bob

Yeah, I was just quoted $6500 to have some else do it. Strong possibilty I will be doing it myself. I have experience with epoxy, marine paint, everything I need to do it myself.

You might want to reconsider just how important it is to be able to walk on it, as I achieved exactly what you want, even more, as we covered the side decks as well, but just going Sunbrella, and it all came to about $3000 from memory, basically 50/50... $1500 each for frame and canvass work.

Attachments

• Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Image107-1.jpg
    Image107-1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Image111-2.jpg
    Image111-2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Image109-2.jpg
    Image109-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 94
Yes Bob, that would be great as the fly is also another project on my list.

Our aft deck is perhaps larger than most , but we simply unfold a 10x10 framed yard canopy.

About $60-$70 at many stores.

Sure its painted steel frame will eventually die , but for the price , who cares.

There are other sizes of fancy aluminum framed covers that are made for open air vendors, perhaps with a size that fits?

I bought a tubing roller from Harbor Freight and made up my own frame using riveted SS fittings. Will cover with Sunbrella when the snow disappears. Very easy IMHO!! Could also be covered with hard panels is preferred.

Attachments

• New canopy frame 2.jpg
    New canopy frame 2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 96
I bought a tubing roller from Harbor Freight and made up my own frame using riveted SS fittings. Will cover with Sunbrella when the snow disappears. Very easy IMHO!! Could also be covered with hard panels is preferred.
Nice job...I would use the thin fiberglass panels that T-Top manufacturers use...like them much better than fabric.

Not sure what I would do if I wanted to walk on it...the overall engineering requirements go through the roof...increased top stiffness increases weight so dramatically, you usually need to jump quite a bit in framework size. The tubing T-Tops with panels usually allow some crawling on them if the weld much greater thickness crawlways under the panels but that is only a small portion of the top to be able to mount Radar or lights/antennas on centerline.

I had a cockpit cover made from a material called Stamoid. It's more durable than Sunbrella, easier to wash because it's a coated fabric, and it's more UV resistant. The frame is made from 1.5" stainless and it's solid as all get out. The frame was built to match the curvature of the back end of the flybridge.
img_209991_0_7100b8e48cf43ba711127e71424aee2e.jpg

img_209991_1_a3795ff7e4b92eaefab49be5ab54d40a.jpg

img_209991_2_fe8501af481d4260eac1cca23cac4c42.jpg

I had this built three years ago when we bought the boat and as I recall the total price for the cockpit cover was $2,000 installed.

Last edited:
The problem I have with canvas (remember, mine is old) is that rainwater puddles in a few places and when you try to push it off it comes down the opening where the ladder to the flybridge is.

I know there are companies selling panels but I'm not sure this would look right on my boat.

The problem I have with canvas (remember, mine is old) is that rainwater puddles in a few places and when you try to push it off it comes down the opening where the ladder to the flybridge is.

Thats a bonus , not a problem , install a cheap plastic thru hull in the depression and enjoy real fresh water!

Back
Top Bottom