Cobham TracStar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhumphrys

Vessel Name
Southern Accent
Vessel Make
1988 Tiger Marine 48 Sundeck
My new to me boat has an older TracStar system. Based on the boat age, I'm guessing ~1990. I've searched all the forums and can't find out anything about it. I would assume that this technology has changed so much that it is of no value? Would appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG-1275.jpg
    IMG-1275.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-1264.jpg
    IMG-1264.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 33
Pretty sure this is an old antenna to connect to a vSAT satellite transceiver. Probably useless as the systems have changed. There should be some associated satellite modem onboard unless it was removed. If you need offshore simple communications an Iridium based solution is probably an option. For simple tracking, SMS and safety a Garmin InReach is about $500 and subscription is around $30 per month.

It’s a satellite phone system. Probably still works but the plans are commercial grade and expensive by today’s standards. $300 and $30 a month gets you unlimited text/email satellite communications thru a hand held Garmin InReach. Hard to beat that price.

I had the opportunity to do a closer look yesterday. The outside antenna has a coax cable connection. Not sure if that changes anyone's answer.

Thanks for the help and input.

I had an old autopilot system that I replaced with a new one. In spite of the fact that it had a really neat big flat topped compass it had zero value. I couldn't even give it away, nobody wanted to pay the postage.

I suspect you are in the same situation with your old electronics.

pete

Sorry but it would not even be useful as a boat anchor. Technology has changed dramatically.

I had an old autopilot system that I replaced with a new one. In spite of the fact that it had a really neat big flat topped compass it had zero value. I couldn't even give it away, nobody wanted to pay the postage.

I suspect you are in the same situation with your old electronics.

pete

Just curious, what was your old system?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom