Coast Guard Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice that your friend didn't embarrass the embarrass the guardsman. Assuming the kid was being friendly and helpful (like all of my interactions with the USCG) it was kind of nice that he was trying to make some constructive suggestions.

Dave do remember when the Point Glass was stationed in Gig Harbor?

Nice that your friend didn't embarrass the embarrass the guardsman. Assuming the kid was being friendly and helpful (like all of my interactions with the USCG) it was kind of nice that he was trying to make some constructive suggestions.
Maybe that Coastie had the same experience as me.

The worst assistance towing captain I ever ran across was a retired Navy commander that also had something like 22 transatlantic crossings as a first mate on a merchant car carrier.

Ship drivers and boat drivers can be two different animals...though there should be some useful carryover.

I have heard about the CG towing around Boston Harbor Islands especially when they have new crews in training. They have a station on the Hull peninsula and that guarantees you will be boarded in the spring with new crews. I think like all 1st responders they are eager to run out and break the monotony.

Except that towing is tightly monitored based on the "no compete with private enterprise" legislation if assistance towing is available in the area.

No station commander wants the hassel if they tow when commercial assistance is a available and willing. A complaint generates way too much heat when the coasties can just tow each other, USCGAUX boats or volunteers.

Last edited:
Most ship captained turn over the ship to the pilot at the sea Bouy. Most tugboat captains and mates do it all be the ocean or harbor/rivers. Many tug/barge units are over 500 feet long. A Coast Guard/Navy are not necessarily a good boat handlers but rather in a 20 to 30 year career might only have a short ship/boat time docking/sailing in a Harbor. In New York Harbor a tugboat captain / mate might shift as much as 5 large 400 feet plus in a 6 hour work shift. A CG/Navy vessel might have a large bridge team where a tugboat capt/mate will have just one in the wheelhouse.

Depends on whether the Coastie has a career of small boat cockswain experience and whether the Navy guy was a tug or small boat operator rather than shiphandler. Some are exceptional boat handlers.

I will admit though and the USCG seems to recognize it to....ain't noth'un like towing for a living. I have enough experience to understand it and handle small town, but my hats off to the regulars.

Last edited:
Most ship captained turn over the ship to the pilot at the sea Bouy. Most tugboat captains and mates do it all be the ocean or harbor/rivers. Many tug/barge units are over 500 feet long. A Coast Guard/Navy are not necessarily a good boat handlers but rather in a 20 to 30 year career might only have a short ship/boat time docking/sailing in a Harbor. In New York Harbor a tugboat captain / mate might shift as much as 5 large 400 feet plus in a 6 hour work shift. A CG/Navy vessel might have a large bridge team where a tugboat capt/mate will have just one in the wheelhouse.

I was boarded one time in Admiralty Inlet by a USCG rib as I was returning home after crossing the straits. I was in my sailboat on a broad reach in 15-20 knots of wind with 3' plus following swells. A USCG cutter was in the Admiralty and several ribs were boarding and inspecting boats that day.

The rib instructed me to simply hold course and they pulled up on my stern quarter and a couple guys transferred onto my sailboat and then the rib dropped back. They did their job and then the rib did the same to retrieve them.

They made it look easy but it impressed the heck out of me. There is a huge difference between someone like me that has operated small boats for 55 years recreationally, vs a well trained and experienced 20 year old doing their job.

Dave do remember when the Point Glass was stationed in Gig Harbor?

It was there when I lived there in GH in the 80s. The station is still there, private dwelling now, I think.

A high school chum of mine wrote a book about the Coast Guard; said the 82s were the worst riding vessel he'd ever been aboard. Apparently an opinion shared by many of the crews.

:angel::eek:

I'm sure the exchange was part of a required script, and my friend was the sort to be properly deferential, but he enjoyed telling the story.

It was there when I lived there in GH in the 80s. The station is still there, private dwelling now, I think.

A high school chum of mine wrote a book about the Coast Guard; said the 82s were the worst riding vessel he'd ever been aboard. Apparently an opinion shared by many of the crews.
The USCG has had a few poorly riding vessels. The 82s were bad.

So were the 210s and the older WWII icebreakers.

With only 5.5 foot draft and a 17 foot beam the 82's were rough riding but a very seaworthy vessel. I remember them serving in Viet Nam. They had a 3/16 " steel hull and a aluminum deck house. A friend of mine serves on the replacement 87 footers and they are also rough riding. He is A BM 1 serving as the XO based out of Cape May, NJ.

Back
Top Bottom