Old 03-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

City: Washington
Coast Guard Documentation

Not long ago there was a thread on documentation and a few people speculated that extended documentation (more than one year) would be available. It is not.

I just got my letter and sent it back. $26 for one year.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
Not long ago there was a thread on documentation and a few people speculated that extended documentation (more than one year) would be available. It is not.

I just got my letter and sent it back. $26 for one year.
There was a third party vendor that was apparently offering a service that would document for two years. Since the USCG won't do that, it would be up to the vendor to send in a second documentation to the USGC a year later. I don't think that is likely.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

City: Richmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
There was a third party vendor that was apparently offering a service that would document for two years. Since the USCG won't do that, it would be up to the vendor to send in a second documentation to the USGC a year later. I don't think that is likely.
Actually, there are a couple of 3rd party doc services that will handle the document renewal for up to 5 years for only $75 a year. Or you can do it yourself each year with the CG for $26 a year.

I think I'll do it myself.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Actually, there are a couple of 3rd party doc services that will handle the document renewal for up to 5 years for only $75 a year. Or you can do it yourself each year with the CG for $26 a year.

I think I'll do it myself.
I think that is a good call.

Beyond the high cost, the problem is that the 3rd party service implies than they will give you a USCG documentation that is good for 2-5 years. In reality, they are only handling the registration for a year, but promising to do it in the future for another 1-4 years.

a: You have to trust that they are competent to do it and not mess it up.
b: You have to trust that the guy in his basement offering the service won't just up and disappear with your money AND you might fail to register your boat in time.
c: You are convinced that you will be keeping your boat at least as long as the registration you are paying for. I believe the average length of time of ownership for a boat like most of ours is about 4 years.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

City: Washington
I got a letter from a third party documentation service a few weeks in advance of my USCG renewal notice. I ignored it.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I got a letter from a third party documentation service a few weeks in advance of my USCG renewal notice. I ignored it.
A good reminder not to not put off your renewal application directly with the USCG.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The USCG still hopes to do so in the future. Just hasn't happened and may or may not ever happen.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote