Coast Guard Aux Inspection Checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Thought you guys might find this useful.

See page 2 for required items.

Attachments

• CGAUX-Inspectation.pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Thank you Menzies....Kim and I will get this filled out asap and keep it on file :thumb:

Funny thing is.... you have to know the real rules to point them out to any inspector as some intertwine feelings over facts.

This is one little known fact about flares and having them on board. It is in the checklist but often misinterpreted.

33 CFR 175.101 DEFINITIONS OF COASTAL WATERS WHICH REFERS TO APPLICABILITY...
§ 175.105 Definitions.

(a)Visual distress signal*means a device that is approved by the*Commandant*under*46 CFR Part 160*or certified by the manufacturer under*46*CFR Parts*160*and*161..

(b)Coastal waters*means:

(1)*The U.S. waters of the*Great Lakes*(Lake Erie, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, and Superior);

(2)*The territorial seas of the United States; and

(3)*Those waters directly connected to the*Great Lakes*and territorial seas (i.e., bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc.) where any entrance exceeds 2 nautical miles between opposite shorelines to the first point where the largest distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles, as shown on the current edition of the appropriate National Ocean Service chart*used*for navigation. Shorelines of islands or points of land present within a waterway are considered when determining the distance between opposite shorelines.

So many areas along the ICW fall into this less than 2 mile rule for small boat or dingy use....but I will admit it is easier to carry flares ir an SOS light than argue in the dark.

Last edited:
You can also go directly to safetyseal.net.

There's a link to a "virtual Safety Check" you can do yourself, as well as an option to enter your location and get a list of CG Aux and Power Squadron vessel examiners in your area. They'll even come right to your boat.

And yes, there are some "grey areas" and over-simplified interpretations by some VE's. Many are used to checking small open boats and don't fully understand the rules for larger cruisers. Find one who does more of your type of boat.

Funny thing was some people sought me out and others avoided me after I did CME/VSC on their boats. ;)

Funny thing was some people sought me out and others avoided me after I did CME/VSC on their boats. ;)
And the ones who got pissed at me when they failed. No, I can't leave the sticker for you to affix after you get new flares.

Wifey B: Useful. Just did the Virtual check but it got all upset at me that I wouldn't tell it how my numbers were displayed, so I lied and pretended I had numbers. :)

Wifey B: Useful. Just did the Virtual check but it got all upset at me that I wouldn't tell it how my numbers were displayed, so I lied and pretended I had numbers. :)
Now why do I find that so easy to believe? :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom