Coast Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldbird, it wasn't a lady controller was it? They are real good at talking fast and then expecting you to come up in a micro-second. When you don't the transmit again as you are trying to answer and you block each other out. I listen to this for a minute or two between the controller and another flight, United, I think. Every time he would try to answer her she called him again and they blocked each other. Someone said "Blocked" and her response was "Don't say Blocked". So nobody did. Finally I keyed my mic and told her she needed to calm down, she was blocking everyone who tried to answer back. I confirmed my airline and flight number and said I planned on filing an incident report and, oh by the way "Airport insight." Never heard a work after she cleared us for the visual.

Yes, they can hear you on 22A. And even if they could not you could call them back on 16 and ask for a repeat.

The Coast Guard radio operators along the entire east coast need serious voice and diction training. Almost all of them speak too quickly, and mumble words. The female radio operators seem to be much better than than the men.

West coast is the same.
I was shocked to hear that the CG off So Cal didn't even seem to know the phonetic alphabet.
Plus it's become a bit of a nanny service.
Do I really need ro hear every 15 minutes on channel 16 that they will broadcast a whale alert on 22A?
Said whale alert consists of the warning that there are whales in the Pacific Ocean.
Nothing more.

Quick question regarding channel 22A. Does it except transmissions from boats?
That 'say again' has no meaning unless the CG hears it.

Channell 22 is what we call a full duplex channel you transmit on one frequency and recieve on a different frequency. The coast guard radios freqs for that channel are reversed from ours ( they transmit on our receive freq) Thats why you can not talk boat to boat on it.

Bud

Disregard that about channel 22a its channel 24,25,26,27,28 thats duplex.

Bud

Well for 30 years we communicated with the CG on 21A, 22A and 23A.

Wifey B: It's not just CG, it's everyone with a microphone. To each of you, have you listened to yourself over the radio? If not, record it from another unit and play back. It's like fast food where you can't understand or Walmart stores or airports or the old bus station announcers often made fun of. You may think you're enunciating clearly and have no accent, but don't bet on it. :D

Wifey B: It's not just CG, it's everyone with a microphone. To each of you, have you listened to yourself over the radio? If not, record it from another unit and play back. It's like fast food where you can't understand or Walmart stores or airports or the old bus station announcers often made fun of. You may think you're enunciating clearly and have no accent, but don't bet on it. :D

I dn't knw wht yu r tlkng abt, thr is absltly nthng wrng wih hw I spk!

Agreed. But don't you think the Coast Guard should be held to higher standard? They are getting paid to communicate on the Radio to the public that is a part of their job. Also the info they are broadcasting can be crucial.

Bud

Agreed. But don't you think the Coast Guard should be held to higher standard? They are getting paid to communicate on the Radio to the public that is a part of their job. Also the info they are broadcasting can be crucial.

Bud

Wifey B: I think everyone should be held to a high standard. I was in an airport where they announced a gate change but no one could understand it. It wasn't just a couple of gates either though, it was to another terminal. :)

The ones who should be held accountable are their superiors who don't train, emphasize, or monitor.

Wifey B: I think everyone should be held to a high standard. I was in an airport where they announced a gate change but no one could understand it. It wasn't just a couple of gates either though, it was to another terminal. :)

The ones who should be held accountable are their superiors who don't train, emphasize, or monitor.

Roger that.

I just have a pet peeve. When poor behavior is justified by pointing to other poor behavior. To me it just stimulates the race to the bottom.

Bud

I just have a pet peeve. When poor behavior is justified by pointing to other poor behavior. To me it just stimulates the race to the bottom.

Bud

Wifey B: That's now the point here though. The point is that everyone needs to be trained if they're going to make announcements. Not excusing one or the other. I didn't justify anything. I criticized all. Your statement just doesn't hold up to scrutiny itself. :mad:

I see your point I was speaking more to thread in general.

The world is on a faster track these days. No time to do it right, just time to do it over. Air Traffic control went down hill after Reagan blew it up - nubies forget who they are working for. Coasties suffer from something else - not sure what it is these but I have my guess. Home land security has been a joke from the get go. Put them back in the military. The Navy knows how to train people. Boat Captains not much better. I am a relay station for the maritime net on 14.300 mhz -(when on the beach) God help us when there is an issue - semaphores are more effective some days.

As for ATC, I just ask for permission to buzz the tower in French -gets their attention!

"Permission to boom de tour?"

Last edited:
The world is on a faster track these days. No time to do it right, just time to do it over. Air Traffic control went down hill after Reagan blew it up - nubies forget who they are working for. Coasties suffer from something else - not sure what it is these but I have my guess. Home land security has been a joke from the get go. Put them back in the military. The Navy knows how to train people. Boat Captains not much better. I am a relay station for the maritime net on 14.300 mhz -(when on the beach) God help us when there is an issue - semaphores are more effective some days.

As for ATC, I just ask for permission to buzz the tower in French -gets their attention!

"Permission to boom de tour?"

As to putting the CG back in the military. The CG has ever only been in the military in times of war. Before it was rolled into DHS it was part of the Department of Transportation. It wasn’t part of the Navy.

As to putting the CG back in the military. The CG has ever only been in the military in times of war. Before it was rolled into DHS it was part of the Department of Transportation. It wasn’t part of the Navy.

I was thinking that it might save our country some money to roll their duties into the navy. There is alot of redundancies between the two. Save 12 billion a year. Put it towards our 22 trillion of dept. So our kids are not stapped with interest payments. CBO says we will pay 389 billion in interest this year at 1.5%. Imagine when the interest doubles or maybe triples.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=posse+comitatus

The United States Coast Guard, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act either, primarily because although the Coast Guard is an armed service, it also has both a maritime law enforcement mission and a federal regulatory agency mission.

plus a quite a few things that are not really a good overlap plus not as much redundancy as one might think....so the Navy would just be bigger and probably cost more in the long run...

Other than they are both maritime military organizations, there is almost no overlap in their duties. The CG is involved in boating safety, fisheries, drug interdiction, environmental concerns and port security among other things. Where does the Navy come into these? The Navy is primarily a military organization with their main focus on war. They do have some other things but the CG and the Navy have primarily completely different functions.

The duties are different but the infrastructures are not. The navy has the ships and personnel to do everything the CG does. Whether they would do it better or cheaper is a fair question.

I was thinking that it might save our country some money to roll their duties into the navy. There is alot of redundancies between the two. Save 12 billion a year. Put it towards our 22 trillion of dept. So our kids are not stapped with interest payments. CBO says we will pay 389 billion in interest this year at 1.5%. Imagine when the interest doubles or maybe triples.

Let's not stray into politics or CBO business to avoid going out-of-bounds.

Thanks.

The duties are different but the infrastructures are not. The navy has the ships and personnel to do everything the CG does. Whether they would do it better or cheaper is a fair question.

Have you really looked at the surface assets the CG has? And then compared them to Navy assets? I was in the Navy and worked with the CG for 30 years. Other than they are both maritime agencies, they are night and day different.

Wifey B: And will that help them speak clearer? :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom