Coast Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theyaredoingexactlyastheyaretoldtodo!

I was a "head honcho" for awhile...I helped a bit for a time in a limited area (the one I was Operations Officer for a few years and the radio room worked for me....

but....all good things come to an end....:D

Suprisingly, in my experience, not that many Coasties are avid, experienced boaters.

You all make valid points, but you can either hope the current system adapts to you, or you can adapt to the system. You're going to have to find a way to figure it out, because as great as the USCG is, I don't think of them as a flexible organization conducting focus groups and customer surveys.

You would be surprised at how the USCG tries to please and does work with outside groups.

Even 20 years ago the USCG in some ways was flexible and responsive..a bit more than some of the civilian small businesses that I worked for after I retired.

It does take reaching the right ears as pointed out but some things aren't going to change because they few that complain are the vast minority.

Every time you call back and ask for info again after a broadcast, mention that the transmission was good or bad, understandable or too fast ....etc. It gets heard by supervisors and others who do care and just might be the second voice making a difference.

I call the USCG all the time, I complained when a bridge was close for a parade for 3 hrs and it wasn't in the notice to mariners. Sure I have an in... and know who to call...but there is power in the number of complaints.

Anyone notice that the younger generation tends to speak faster than us grey-beards? Some speak faster than I am able to understand. Over the phone with customer service I will insist that they slow down if it is fast enough to irritate me. I've been known to just hang up on them if I've mentioned it more than once.

I noticed the Coasties broadcast acumen inproved greatky when I installed a remote 6" real speaker on my VHF.

Part of it may be that if you've spent time on an operational military net you learn to put out the info as quickly but understably as possibe and clear the frequency. And, generally, everybody on the net knows the expected format and terms in the message. They may revert when they press the mic button to transmit on 16.

Anyone notice that the younger generation tends to speak faster than us grey-beards? Some speak faster than I am able to understand. Over the phone with customer service I will insist that they slow down if it is fast enough to irritate me. I've been known to just hang up on them if I've mentioned it more than once.

I have been known to tell them, I am old and they are talking faster than my ancient brain can understand. That usually results in a laugh and they speak slower and distinctly. I thank them and move on in life.

"Part of it may be that if you've spent time on an operational military net you learn to put out the info as quickly but understably as possibe and clear the frequency. And, generally, everybody on the net knows the expected format and terms in the message. They may revert when they press the mic button to transmit on 16. #186

Its not only the Coasties many kids have never been exposed to really professional anything.

Here in the middle of SW Florida even waitresses have no idea , have never seen good service.

Back
Top Bottom