Coast guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautibeaver

Vessel Name
NautiBeaver
Vessel Make
Nordlund 68'
Interesting experience. IMG_6620.jpg

And my advice, I have 30 life jackets on board and make a point to take them out to match guest and place them on dash in pilot house. Well I have been boating for many years and never been boarded. I actually and strangely wanted to go through it once. Well today we almost had the chance. The coasties asked how many I have on board, and as I offered to get fenders out, they asked if I had life jackets to match. I pointed to the fly bridge and said, yes and always set them out to match souls on board. They said thanks and moved on without boarding.

Quick and easy and barely even came to a stop.

Btw, shrimpin’ is incredible this year!!!! 8 limits yesterday and 8 limits today.

1280 spotted prawns in 4 hours total shrimping.

Good time. IMG_6610.jpgIMG_6584.jpg

Doesn't it feel good to be adequately equipped and prepared when you cruise, knowing that if you are boarded you won't end up with one of those little slips of paper from the water cops.

Sorry you didn't get the boarding you wanted. Isn't it amazing how easy things go when you're prepared.

That is the type of inspection I like...come alongside, check the name and registration, see that I am not an intoxicated fool, and move on. Glad your shrimping is hot. They were limiting in Discovery Bay last weekend.

Only one time in 50+ years have I been boarded by the coast guard. I was moving the boat to Friday Harbor and was by myself, my wife was taking the car on the ferry. I saw them coming so I stopped. They asked when the last time I had a safety inspection and I said never, so 3 came aboard.

They insisted I continue on so I manned the helm while they asked questions and took a quick look thru the boat. I keep all my documents in a binder for clearing customs so everything was there at their fingertips.

All was very professional and they were very polite.

If they are willing to risk their life to maybe some day save mine, I am more than happy to have them on board.

Another quick Coast Guard story. During WWII , the coast guard walked down the dock one day in Bellingham, saw a 45' boat named Nika that my dad was living on, announced that they needed patrol boats, and they were taking the boat. Dad said if that was the case then he was going with it. He joined and was made the captain of the boat. They patrolled the Bellingham area during the war to make sure everyone kept their lights off at night.

Dad would tell me stories about the "big shots" coming to town and wanting to go on patrol. So he took them out one night and they all got sea sick.

When the war was over he got his boat back but he had to refinish the entire boat as it had been totally painted gray.

Drifting...

Russell,

Great story. Imagine what would happen on that dock today if the CG arrived with the same news?

Drifting...

Russell,

Great story. Imagine what would happen on that dock today if the CG arrived with the same news?

IF your boat is documented, I do not think you have a choice.
Part of the documentation agreement is, the govt has to return the boat/ship to at least its prior condition. I'm not sure how the govt returns the engine to its prior condition. Roll back the hour meter???

I will be hopeful that the specification of 107 horsepower and 8 knots will reduce their interest.

They would use it as a 'mother ship' to a bunch of RIBS??

The USCG has zero intetest in our boats if my career learnt me anything..... :)

Unless someone owns a 40 something center console with trips or better.....

Drifting...

Russell,

If they wanted my boat, first I would ask, "Who's gonna making the mortgage payment?" Next I would point out the boats on either side of me, they are much longer than my puny 34ft AT. Come to think of it, there are lots of boats in this marina, longer than mine.

If they wanted my boat, first I would ask, "Who's gonna making the mortgage payment?" Next I would point out the boats on either side of me, they are much longer than my puny 34ft AT. Come to think of it, there are lots of boats in this marina, longer than mine.

Few boats as nice I would wager though Dan.

And just think that if you were still in Canadian waters your prawn catch and retention limits for each license holder would be 200 daily and 400 possession....

3Kioni, as I tell my boat tech, I have put a lot of perfume on the pig.

A long time ago my ignorance got me boarded, when without realizing it I had entered into U.S. waters. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful!

LOL
They said, "Go north young man"

I've always found the US Coast Guard to be friendlier and more polite than municipal marine patrols--just from my experience.

A long time ago my ignorance got me boarded, when without realizing it I had entered into U.S. waters. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful!

Didn't you see the line ????

Hard to miss this line. The Wall across US/Canadian on the Richelieu River.

AF1QipN76gymRh-ie9QlaUJf-CFgL66sR94ktnvnCluY

We were boarded last weekend. All so a sudden they were right next to us, I guess 750Hp will do that!
Three nice very nice guys boarded. First question do you have any firearms onboard I said right there in the backpack he said just don't reach in there no problem! Very professional quick look around a few questions and that was it. The one thing that surprised me is on his report he had to note the location, he had to ask me the name of the island we were next to. I said you should know that it's named after your boss Trump Island next to Decatur, he didn't think I was funny:nonono:

LOL
They said, "Go north young man"

Yes they did.
I was nervous at first, but they were very nice, professional, and after a quick chat and look around, just asked me to head north a couple of miles. Surprised when later looking at a map how close to the southern tip of Vancouver Island that invisible line is in some places. They seemed to be very used to us Canadians wandering over the line, and weren't too concerned. Now I own a boat with a fancy GPS and would know. 24 year old me, in my old elcheapo smoker craft had no clue that i was not still in Canada.

Fireworks this year- locals and USCG looked us over several times, saw all of the gray heads aboard and kept going.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom