Clunk ... Aaahh! ... Crunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Notice the "witness mark" on the nut in the center of Flywright's aviation quality photo. It lets you know if the nut has turned since it was installed.

The cardan shaft arrived today.
w00t.gif

Now to paint and install it.

Looking at the many ways it could be assembled , be sure you understand how an in phase U jounts are setup.

Your boat wrench may not have the experience or the knowledge.

Wouldn't think of doing the job myself: will be employing a professional marine mechanic.

will be employing a professional marine mechanic. __________________

Yea right , I would go take a look at what is required for a proper job , and discuss it with your "mechanic".

A printed copy of the correct install would help most .

The cardan shaft has been replaced, and the Carquinez Coot is back in operation!

img_94077_0_07be9f97c81d445cbad9945e788c5ea0.jpg

Congrats! Sail on... in peace!

will be employing a professional marine mechanic. __________________

Yea right , I would go take a look at what is required for a proper job , and discuss it with your "mechanic".

A printed copy of the correct install would help most .

I think FF has a point here. Just hiring a mechanic to do a job that requires some specialized knowledge can be a disaster. I generally try to educate myself about a problem and how to fix it before hiring someone to do the actual work. With my boat I've generally had good luck hiring the few mechanics I've used to do work that I couldn't do, but I discuss their approach to fixing the problem before I allow them to touch the boat, and I'm always at the boat watching or helping them.

One experience along these lines that I had that illustrates this. When I contracted a pool builder to build an in-ground pool I also asked him if he could install a current generator. A current generator is a pump that pumps a stream of water that generates a current that you swim against. He assured me that he had installed several of the brand that I was considering and in fact recommend that particular one. I contacted the company that made the current generator and asked for detailed instructions on the installation process. The instructions I received mentioned the nozzle assembly must be encased in concrete so vibration would not break the pvc pipes. When the pool contractor was about to bury the area around the nozzle outside of the pool I noticed he did not pour concrete around it. I mentioned the instructions about this but he said he had installed several before and never had poured concrete around it. I called the company and while the contractor was about to get his boys to fill the hole, had him talk to the tech. He reluctantly poured the concrete and we suddenly were not "friends" any more. But I've never had any problems with the current generator.

A two-foot section of the propeller shaft, connecting the transmission with the remainder of the shaft, came apart

How many hours did the assembly have on it when it failed?

132 hours

Well, you now have at least 132 more hours of trouble-free boating ahead of you. Use them wisely.:):):)

image-996198930.jpg

Mark Backing out of his slip for the first voyage after repairs!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Last edited:
View attachment 11937

Mark Backing out of his slip for the first voyage after repairs!

Our three-hour trip to Martinez and return was uneventful except for dodging sailboats. Good to see some boaters out on the water.

img_94128_0_335c4d7d84515da41f9bb468926ec2d4.jpg

(That wasn't the only sailboat seen today with fenders deployed underway.)

Don't you have a photo of the Hobbs meter?

Yes, but the audience has already seen it. Thought I'd spare you from another look.

Great to see our Master and Commander is underway again in the mighty Sail Tug!

Yes, celebrated with bubbly wine.

img_94216_0_6a2f7e86af308bd207f5c5dfb0b0b03a.jpg

(It's a joke. The wine was consumed using small glasses.)

why not? she continues to charm me.

Last edited:
Ray, please describe the circumstances/location of your present avatar.

That photo was captured from the Tower bridge in old Sacramento a couple of years ago. It was around six in the morning after spending the night at the city docks.

Giggitoni said:
That photo was captured from the Tower bridge in old Sacramento a couple of years ago. It was around six in the morning after spending the night at the city docks.

image-3839319556.jpg

Tower bridge looking Southeast from West Sacramento.

Last edited:
Love the railroad museum there (old Sacramento). I'm a railfan.

232323232%7Ffp538%3B4%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3B45%3A9336nu0mrj

Narrow gauge in Ely, Nevada? Or the Virginia and Truckee near Virginia, Nevada.

Standard gauge. Former AT&SF subsidiary serving the southern side of the Colorado Canyon.

232323232%7Ffp538%3B2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2998297336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp538%3B4%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3B44%3C2336nu0mrj

img_94246_2_32f8b12335b4027ae1f4bafda2b5d98e.jpg

Last photo, in Martinez, CA, promotes the Santa Fe Railroad's Grand Canyon line (contemporary photo).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom