Cleat At Last Night's Transient Dock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
That's a first, like a mini outside piling! Bow, stern, and springs all the same.

Attachments

• Kilkenny.jpg
    Kilkenny.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 202
You were at Kilkenny!

Yep. It works. However the current rips through there and my worry would be if there was a blow or micro burst would that piece of wood hold.

It did last night, so all good!

Not only is the wood strong enough but how it it attached to the dock...

Not only is the wood strong enough but how it it attached to the dock...

If you look closely you'll see that the deck board is notched around the upright piece, and it extends down inside the framing for the dock. It's bolted to the top frame, and I suspect it extends down to and is also bolted to the bottom frame. If it's not, it probably should be.

It almost seems like more work by the marina owner to install those versus just buying cleats!

Greetings,
Mr. SoH. You have to experience Kilkeeny Creek Marina to fully appreciate it. Interesting spot, to say the least...

It almost seems like more work by the marina owner to install those versus just buying cleats!

Its not ....and its cheaper to buy and install.

My old marina used 4×4s.

Many were just "tall" corner bracing and others were from scaps and bolted as appropriate.

Those old wooden docks lasted through many a Nor'easter, never had a failure with the posts....the newer docks, most of the cleats are through bolted but not all and every year I saw both pullout and even many a broken cleat horn (those probably were bad tie ups by boaters...but still).

Greetings,
Mr. SoH. You have to experience Kilkeeny Creek Marina to fully appreciate it. Interesting spot, to say the least...

I miss the old fish camp restaurant though...the new "seafood restaurant" doesn't cut it....and its been through new managementcI think at least once in the last 15 years..

Like all good desolate spots...all the new building nearby will forever change it.

Transient mooring in Sweden...

Attachments

• TM1.jpg
    TM1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 113
How's this for some ancient cleats? :eek:
Dock B at my marina in southern maryland.

Attachments

• Tall Timbers Cleats.jpg
    Tall Timbers Cleats.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 147
Greetings,

Hmmm, might have to try that. I've anchored a number of times in the Creek maybe a quarter mile in from the AICW. Little wind protection, but good holding in sand and protection from waves.

Ted

Funny, for awhile ( haven't been there in say 5 years), yes the docks are rustic...but they had the best internet from Jersey to Florida. Made the Charleston mega dock pathetic.

The charts show a launch ramp at Kilkenny. There isn't. The bank is too steep.

Instead the marina runs a pair of winches. A dollar a foot covers a launch and retrieval.

Boat goes into the dock, is lifted, moved in, back the trailer under it, drop it and tie it down, and off you go.

They were doing a robust business too!

Attachments

• DSC_9731.jpg
    DSC_9731.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_9732.jpg
    DSC_9732.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_9734.jpg
    DSC_9734.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_9735.jpg
    DSC_9735.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Yet you could bolt a beefy cleat to a similarly sized deck board and nobody bats an eye that a handful of nails are holding the deck board to the dock joists. At least the board is bolted to the dock joists.

Yet you could bolt a beefy cleat to a similarly sized deck board and nobody bats an eye that a handful of nails are holding the deck board to the dock joists. At least the board is bolted to the dock joists.

I was thinking the same. I've seen many dock cleats that make me think it wouldn't be all that hard to rip it out or have the dock fail around it. Plenty are just lag screwed into a dock joist or bolted through a nailed down board.

We have bull rails everywhere...must be because we’re located where logging is being done and 4x4’s were relatively cheap back in the day, and because they would keep drunk loggers from falling off the docks.

Last edited:
The charts show a launch ramp at Kilkenny. There isn't. The bank is too steep.

Instead the marina runs a pair of winches. A dollar a foot covers a launch and retrieval.

Boat goes into the dock, is lifted, moved in, back the trailer under it, drop it and tie it down, and off you go.

They were doing a robust business too!

When we paddled through Madeira Park, on BC's south coast, there were train tracks and cradles for large yachts coming down steep rocky shores from house sized boat houses on the front lawns of even bigger shore line residences. Egad...

Last edited:
We have bull rails everywhere...must be because we’re located where logging is being done and 4x4’s were relatively cheap back in the day, and because they would keep drunk loggers from falling off the docks.

Yep Bull rails are the most common. The one drawback is splinters in your lines. I have seen bull rails made from galvanized steel.

Attachments

• IMG_8709.jpg
    IMG_8709.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 80
We've stayed there, too. Only place I've ever seen anything like it!

Our marina in FL has the best cleats I’ve ever used. They are mounted in a track and can be slid to any position that best meets your needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 66
I can’t get the picture to fix itself.

So they aren't adjustable..... :D

Download to computer and rotated right..............:thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts