Cleaning a varnish brush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I'm sure that there is plenty of ways of doing this but this a way my dad showed me years ago . I bought some expensive arse brushes a while back and I'm trying my best to make them last . I use a 1-1/2 gal white bucket to clean the brush in . It gives you plenty of room without making a huge mess . I pour just a little thinner in and clean the brush and then pour that thinner into another container . I keep doing this until the thinner stays clear in the white bucket . I save the old thinner and start with it first on the next cleaning . I don't waste as much thinner this way .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 50
I like your system. Try using a product called Imperial Rapid Brush Cleaner with your system. I think it will save some time. The stuff will also soften a brush that has hardened paint or varnish on it.

Marty I use the Greek Yogurt jugs.
I eat the yogurt too .. did 10 mins ago. W pear syrup. Chris makes it.
And throw out the thinner.
And work the brush hard.
But rinse only 3 times.
I frequently smack the outer half of the brush (back and forth) on a fence post or whatever. Dries off the brush fast and knocks of dirt and old paint ect.
You're getting really fussy.
That's good.

After I the solvent clean, I work neat kitchen detergent into the bristles, add water, rinse, and repeat. Shake it, whack it against a tree or post to remove moisture, comb the bristles straight, let dry.

Back
Top Bottom