Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
You're gonna lose a TON when you sell it...

We've all heard that, as well as the line "The 2 best days in a boaters life are when he buys the boat and when he sells it". Well, I'm going to lay both of those rumors to rest BUT these only work if you do things right and only IF the times are right for you.

We bought Beachcomber almost exactly 10 years ago. The timing couldn't have been better for us for a number of reasons.

First, 10 years ago the US was just starting to find its way out of a deep financial depression/recession.

Second, the brokerage had picked up this boat as a repo in late 2008, expecting the financial recovery to come much sooner than it did. They had expected to flip the boat in early 2009 and make a killing.

Third, if you know anything about how bank flooring works you know that after a year of being floored, the brokerage must buy it from the bank that has been holding title to it.

So the brokerage had bet a lot of money that the financial crisis would end and when it didn't they had to take a bunch of their money to buy the title. That sucked for them but was great for me.

I started dealing with then in mid-January, 2010. I needed to trade my 330DB in and that was the only way I was going to make a deal. They didn't want to take my boat on trade but after 3 months of negotiating with them (Oh, did I tell you I LOVE to negotiate!) they agreed to take it. I had a price in mind that, if we hit that price I would have STOLEN their boat.

After the 3 months I got to within $10K of what my price was so I agreed. At that point the real work of getting a shipper, taking the fly bridge off, etc.

So, fast forward 10 years and now we have sold Beachcomber. Was I sad? Absolutely but I am looking forward to out next venture--buying a motorhome.

The diff between what we bought Beachcomber for and the price we sold it for amounted to about 14%-15%. So, it cost us money to own it for 10 years but I figure that small amount was a small price to pay for all the enjoyment and fun we got out of the boat over that 10 years.

Now, on to our next adventure.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #2

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Good luck trying to book a spot to park it, the surge in RV's has most parks booked solid.
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
I guess that is one place to park it...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
I guess congrats is in order! Allways sad to here a friend sold there happy time. Ten years and only 15% loss, not to shabby. Hope you and Tina find a nice motor home and get to travel as much as possible.

Cheers, my friend!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Yeah, it's not always a money losing thing, as far as selling vs purchase price goes.

I have a 2001 1802 Action Craft Flats boat that I bought new on their guide deal for $17K, boat, motor, trailer. I ran it hard (but took good care of it) for 12 years as a guide boat, repowered it in 2011, put a new trailer under it in about 2014. It was a great platform for a lot of charters.

I don't guide anymore so I don't use it as much, but I still lavish it with care. I poked around the other day on some websites, it's worth at least $25K as it sits 20 years later. Best boat investment I've ever made.

Good luck with the RV. I'll miss your posts.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
She is a good boat and I had fun helping her to Seattle. I did see a tear or two as we pulled away from the dock.

Now next to the next great adventure. You, Tina, Jim and his wife are always welcome on ASD.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C. That RV is not parked. It's amphibious.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...12/terra-wind/
Old 03-31-2021, 09:47 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
I guess congrats is in order! Allways sad to here a friend sold there happy time. Ten years and only 15% loss, not to shabby. Hope you and Tina find a nice motor home and get to travel as much as possible.

Cheers, my friend!
The govment fooled you. The dollar lost at least half its value in those ten years. Now calculate the loss/depreciation.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:19 AM   #10
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Bought out first motorhome and made a couple bucks when we sold not counting tires and maintenance. We sold to upgrade and i would even think of selling our current unit for what we paid for. The X factor is what brand and model. Motorhomes and boats are similar in some brands do a better job and holding there value. We boat in the summer and head south for the winter in the motorhome. We have no problem living in either.
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:58 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Loose money? Hardly.

Our recreational toys and activities are expenses, not investments, so there is no loss. After we sell the parts we needed to enjoy our activity, it's only choked up to the price of doing it.

Same with any other activity. The membership at the golf club isn't much different that the cost of boat ownership. And same with the RV. And the same as taking a cruise, except we "rent" a small part of a bigger boat for a shorter time. And we don't worry about loosing money and the selling of our golf clubs.

Yes, there's costs and more commitment when you buy a boat vs a country club membership, but both are the cost of enjoying what we like.

My friend has had several large SeaRays over the years. He'll buy onr for $500k, sell it 3 years later for $320 and his comment that his boating only cost him $5k a month (plus fuel, etc) to enjoy boating. He thought that was a good deal for his needs.

It's just a matter of expenses, not profit and loss.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: North Andover
"I figure that small amount was a small price to pay for all the enjoyment and fun we got out of the boat over that 10 years."

We used to have a beach party every year when the kids were young. I used to have people park on the mainland and I'd nose into the beach and grab them, coolers, chairs....then run over to a beach reserve. At the height of all this, we probably had 25-30 friends there.

Several years ago, I had a buddy come up next to me at the beach party and start talking "boats". He was asking how much does it cost to fill the gas tank, MPG, slip fees etc. Mind you, we were standing at the waterline watching the kids climb onto my boat. get up on the gunwales at the bow, hold hands and jump off.

I pretty much have never added up the cost vs. quality time, fun and memories we had together, when my daughters (and friends) were young aboard the boat(s).

If you spend too much time calculating $$ trade-offs etc.....well, you're doing it wrong!

My .02
Peter Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #13
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
You're gonna lose a TON when you sell it...

The boats (and one camper trailer) I owned I always sold for a few hundred $ +/- of what I paid for them. Of course there were some upgrades that I wasn’t “paid out” for but none of them were super major like a repower.

Of course I’ve never bought a “new” boat in my life [emoji6] Haven’t bought a “new” car since I was twenty-two. Let someone else take that steep depreciation hit.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
I have owned 3 larger boats in the past. A Fortier 26, a Cape Dory 28, and a (new) Nunsuch 30 . I sold all of those boats for close to what I paid. Quality boats IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED hold their value fairly well. Now what i have spent to maintain them is another story.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
"You are going to lose a ton when you sell it"

You know, I don't necessarily agree. I will conceed to the fact that you are going to lose some, or maybe a lot of money sometime during the ownership. Maybe even a ton!

I think you lose most of the money the day you buy it.You will never, ever get back the sales commission, set up charge, sales tax, final destination charges etc.

From day one through the day you finally sell it, the depreciation is a fairly steady downward slope. I prefer to think of my boat as depreciating every summer, or day or month. Not a lot at a time but some!

When I finally sell it, I will get EXACTLY what it is worth. Every penny of value in the boat will come back to me. Ir might be just a penny, or a few dollars or whatever. But I didn't lose the money when I sold it. I lost some of it every day I owned it.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #16

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
These are very unusual times. We just sold our boat for full asking without it even going onto Yachtworld. No haggling over survey items.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
In 2004 I bought a Catalina 42 out of foreclosure. She was disheveled, her hair a mess, her makeup gone, but she was all there. I figured I paid $.60 on the dollar.

I put three months of 12 hour days in to her and quite a bit of money which got me to $.95 on the dollar. But, new electronics, barrier coat, engine in top shape, standing running rigging all up to par, sails and canvas in good shape, interior spotless and decorated to a T. Her electrical system was updated and expanded to the point where you could run AC in the master cabin for 8 hours without generator. She was a joy to cruise.

In four years we put 6000 miles on her, and in 2008 in the middle of the financial crap storm she was one of 6 for sale on the Bay. She was the only one that sold, the surveyor was stupified as he found NOTHING, and I got ALL my money out of it.

Buy it right and then a lot of elbow grease and a few more $$. And Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Lady Kay III.jpg  
Old 04-02-2021, 05:37 AM   #18
FF
Guru

There are a number of internet sites that allow one to compare the price changes caused by inflation. The current value of the money received needs to be compared with the value of money used to purchase anything.

"Good luck trying to book a spot to park it, the surge in RV's has most parks booked solid."

Boaters call it anchoring out , the RV folks call it boon docking.
There are many folks that go RVing and almost never spend a night in a costly camp ground.

The masters of this lifestyle are the Escapees,

Escapees.com - Escapees RV Club · Freedom Driven
Ad·https://www.escapees.com/

Learn About RV Operation, Safety And Maintenance From Industry Experts. Escapees RV Club's RVers' Boot Camp Now Online. Reliable RV Education. RVing made simple. All at your fingertips. Courses: Basic RV Systems, Towing Safety, Tire Safety.

View Benefits · ‎Mail Forwarding Service · ‎Education Resources · ‎Community Details

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Just think how much you "lose" if you never own a boat or RV!
Our boating memories are some of our fondest and we consider them PRICELESS
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #20
Guru

City: Northport
Best ways to save a lot of money....
- don't have kids
- don't get married
- don't have hobbies
- don't have friends

Did I miss any?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote