cleaning & maintaining tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
In the course of the big helm, tool, parts reorganization, I'd like some advice about cleaning and keeping some tools rust free.

Richard on Dauntless in Ireland

I remember the engineers at the Vancouver Aquarium used to dip their wrenches in a kerosene that had some amount of grease dissolved in it. Not sure if this worked or not.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

What about bear grease?

Spray and wipe off with WD40 to clean them then spray with anti corrosion spray. That stuff is great and should be used on engines, strainers clamps etc.

I remember the engineers at the Vancouver Aquarium used to dip their wrenches in a kerosene that had some amount of grease dissolved in it. Not sure if this worked or not.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Thanks KK guys,

I sort of figured both those solutions, and probably anything with oil in it will work.

Just curious if I would hear something I hadn't thought of.

Thanks

Richard

Boeshield works very well. It does leave a thin coating compared to WD-40 but nothing bothersome. I have used it on everything from machine tools in a humid shop to "pickling" machined surfaces on mothballed equipment to protecting tools on boats. I think it is now available at the big box stores.

Boeshield T-9 is what I normally use. If that's not available I revert to my trusty can of 3-in-1 oil.

For what it's worth... I live part time in an oceanfront home on the Pacific coast of Mexico and, as you can imagine, things corrode from the salty air covering everything day in and day out. That said, I use Boeshield T-9 to completely spray my electrical breaker panels and since I started doing it I haven't had a problem with breakers corroding etc. Boeshield T-9 is great stuff and I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Boeshield T-9 is what I normally use. If that's not available I revert to my trusty can of 3-in-1 oil.

For what it's worth... I live part time in an oceanfront home on the Pacific coast of Mexico and, as you can imagine, things corrode from the salty air covering everything day in and day out. That said, I use Boeshield T-9 to completely spray my electrical breaker panels and since I started doing it I haven't had a problem with breakers corroding etc. Boeshield T-9 is great stuff and I highly recommend it.

(spoken in the voice of Victor Kiam....)

"It works soooo well....I bought the company":thumb:

My experience as well

Penetrol works well also.

Here is a trick that has worked well in Florida. You spray what ever on the tool, WD40 what ever, wipe it off and then put the tool in a plastic zip lock bag. Like my two pipe wrenches that Always rust, they look like the day I put them in the bag six months ago. I do the same thing with metal cans of my chemicals.

I do not go to great lengths to keep my tools pristine looking. I do not want rusty tools either.
I USED to spray/soak a rag or heavy paper towel with WD40 or whatever and put that in the tool box. Realized that could be a fire hazard so quit.

i now lay the tools out on a board or tarp that I can make a mess on and not drown, but spray well and then wipe them down. I will also simply open the box and fog them as long as there is nothing like a rag in there.

I use all plastic tool boxes, decent to good ones. My metal ones rusted away years ago and I think helped a few tools start rusting. Many of the aboard tools have been in one or more boats for 30+ years, in the eng. compartment and they still look good.

I do have a couple pipe wrenches that show some rust but they showed that before they became a boat tool.

If a tool gets wet, rain or seawater, it gets flushed and then drowned with wd40 or the like and allowed to sit out for a while to drain/dry somewhat and then wiped.

If you guys would buy older, POS boats, your tools would stay covered in grease/oil from being used every day....don't ask me how I know...:D

CRY and a few other protectant seem to always score better than WD40...but maybe the confines of a toolbox or bag help WD40 out.

Thanks Everyone,

Well I do have Boeshield T-9, Corrosion X, regular and Heavy Duty, WD-40 and of course 3 in 1. I'm sure there are a few more cans of stuff in the Engine room.

Now, that I am organizing everything, I am embarrassed that I have so much stuff, so many duplicates.

I do like the Boeshield as it leaves a film that is waxy, not greasy. It's not clear to me why I decided I needed the Corrosion X stuff, that i put on my electrical connections.

At least now, I can walk buy a hardware store and not buy anything.

Now, If I could only find that bear

In my tool chest I keep 2 zip lock bags with cotton tshirt type material socked with LPS-3 not rust on anything

Back
Top Bottom