Cleaning All That Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidclark

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
The new to us boat is home at last and now to clean it up and make it ours. The boat is relatively clean, but still want to freshen it up. I was thinking Murphy's Oil soap, but what do you guys use? It's a Marine Trader 36, so lots of wood everywhere.

I'll have a report on the shakedown cruise from the Chesapeake to Myrtle Beach in a later post....

To me, it depends on what wood you are talking about, interior or exterior, varnished or oiled, condition of it now, etc.
In general terms, for interior oiled or stained wood (not varnished or varathaned), Murphy's oil soap should be fine. If oiled, you could quickly strip it down by cleaning with TSP and start the oil treatment from scratch, but that is more work, but may be worth it depending on the condition now.
For exterior wood, on my sailboat that had glued down unfinished teak decks, I occasionally used a product with a mild acid (oxy...... acid?) to clean the wood. It worked well, but you wouldn't do it very often I would think (annually?). If exterior wood that has been varnished or otherwise finished, I would clean using boat soap and refinish as required to "bring it back".

I don't know if that helps at all?

To me, it depends on what wood you are talking about, interior or exterior, varnished or oiled, condition of it now, etc.
In general terms, for interior oiled or stained wood (not varnished or varathaned), Murphy's oil soap should be fine. If oiled, you could quickly strip it down by cleaning with TSP and start the oil treatment from scratch, but that is more work, but may be worth it depending on the condition now.
For exterior wood, on my sailboat that had glued down unfinished teak decks, I occasionally used a product with a mild acid (oxy...... acid?) to clean the wood. It worked well, but you wouldn't do it very often I would think (annually?). If exterior wood that has been varnished or otherwise finished, I would clean using boat soap and refinish as required to "bring it back".

I don't know if that helps at all?

It's all interior wood I'm referring to. The boat sat for awhile on the hard so the wood is more dusty then dirty. There's no grime to speak of.

Murphy's is great for interior wood for sure. We have been using it for years.

I use Murphy’s or Mr Clean admixed with small amount of bleach to kill/help prevent any mold. On satin or semi gloss surfaces, I apply with Magic Erasers (generic brand is fine) rub very lightly since the M E has no chemicals but is a very fine abrasive. Rinse with water & a sponge or spray off where appropriate. You will be amazed what comes off! I used to great benefit in my GB & DeFever (both satin varnished teak interior).

NB. This works best for satin finishes or hard gloss finishes, very high gloss varnish may dull slightly. ME are the bomb - especially in the Kitchen & bathroom. I have restored several horribly soap-stained showers to near new with them especially if tile, tumbled marble, glass or gel coat finishes.

I use Murphy’s or Mr Clean admixed with small amount of bleach to kill/help prevent any mold. On satin or semi gloss surfaces, I apply with Magic Erasers (generic brand is fine) rub very lightly since the M E has no chemicals but is a very fine abrasive. Rinse with water & a sponge or spray off where appropriate. You will be amazed what comes off! I used to great benefit in my GB & DeFever (both satin varnished teak interior).

NB. This works best for satin finishes or hard gloss finishes, very high gloss varnish may dull slightly. ME are the bomb - especially in the Kitchen & bathroom. I have restored several horribly soap-stained showers to near new with them especially if tile, tumbled marble, glass or gel coat finishes.

Never thought of using Magic Erasers. Always thought they might be too aggressive. I'll give it a try in a small area. By the way, I get my Magic Eraser's from Ebay in bulk. 200 erasers for 16 bucks. They don't last as long but the quantity makes up for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulk-Lot-M...=264479361218b836e6afa291461b91d25a668631f5d9

Don Casey, author of several DIY boat maintenance books with immensely practical advise, recommends Lemon Oil to restore the oil in wood, especially teak. If the wood is varnished/poly-urethaned, makes less difference.

Congrats on your new boat! Have Fun!

Peter

These options are better than what I've been doing with my teak.

1) Strip finish
2) Sand to bare wood
3) wipe down with acetone
4) epoxy coats (West Systems with clear hardener)
5) varnish

Technically,I haven't started the varnish stage. The acetone left a nice color to the teak, so I'm contemplating epoxy only. (Though I'm not sure if the epoxy needs the UV protection of the varnish, or if it can stand on its own on interior applications.

These options are better than what I've been doing with my teak.

1) Strip finish
2) Sand to bare wood
3) wipe down with acetone
4) epoxy coats (West Systems with clear hardener)
5) varnish

Technically,I haven't started the varnish stage. The acetone left a nice color to the teak, so I'm contemplating epoxy only. (Though I'm not sure if the epoxy needs the UV protection of the varnish, or if it can stand on its own on interior applications.

Why bother with step #4? Why not just go straight to Varnish?
Only asking as I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom