Classified Poll & Feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

After reviewing the suggested For Sale Format

• LIKE - I think this would add value As-Is

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • LIKE - Would add value with submitted changes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • DISLIKE - No Added Value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
As a follow-up to the recently released Updated Classified Guidelines the Site Team has spend a fair amount of effort cleaning up and organizing the Classified sections. In doing that it occurred to me that a suggested Classified "Ad Format" might make this section more useful for both sellers and prospective buyers.

Below is a first pass at a suggested format that could be posted as a "sticky" at the top of the Boats For Sale section for sellers to copy and paste to start a new listing: My thought is the top section contains and satisfies the minimum requirements of the guidelines and would provide any prospective buyers a quick means to see if there is enough interest to continue exploring the balance of the ad. The balance may be useful for sellers as an optional outline / checklist that can be used, ignored or modified, as desired.

I understand and appreciate that posting discussions in the Classifieds is against our guidelines and I have honored that by posting in the General Discussion section with only a link in the Classified: Boats For Sale to this Thread and Poll.

What I'd ask is to review the suggested format and complete the Poll.
Feel free to post any additional feedback as a reply. I will leave this up for 10 days and take appropriate action at the conclusion of the Poll and after review with the Site Team.

Suggested Classified: "Boat For Sale" Format

Manufacturer:
Year, Model, Length:
Price:
Owner? (or Relationship to Owner):
Contact: PM preferred (Remember Phone & eMail provided are visible to the public)

Additional Helpful Info:
LOA, Beam, Draft, Air Draft:
Engine(s) & Hours:
[Maintenance Records Available?]
Accommodations: Staterooms, Heads, Other
Tankage: Fuel, Fresh Water, Holding Tank
Electronics:
Mechanical Equipment & Systems:
Electrical Equipment & Systems:

Photos: Interior, Exterior & Engine Space Suggested

On Behalf of The Site Team

Last edited:
I would also add in a strong encouragement to contact a Mod to have the classified removed once the boat has sold or has been taken off the market.

IMO, this isn't going to be followed anymore than not mentioning forbidden topics on this forum.

I would think the way to do this (if the forum software supports) is with a template. Have a section specifically for boats fore sale. When you start the thread, the template appears. Threads not using the template will be deleted.

Obviously not everything will be used on the template, but it's more likely that it will be followed if you're filling it out.

Ted

IMO, this isn't going to be followed anymore than not mentioning forbidden topics on this forum.

I would think the way to do this (if the forum software supports) is with a template. Have a section specifically for boats fore sale. When you start the thread, the template appears. Threads not using the template will be deleted.

Obviously not everything will be used on the template, but it's more likely that it will be followed if you're filling it out.

Ted

whaT foRbidden topics are yUo Maybe Pondering. Seems Unlikely Cruisers don’t Know Something already.

whaT foRbidden topics are yUo Maybe Pondering. Seems Unlikely Cruisers don’t Know Something already.

Politics and firearms are two of the more hot button ones.

Ted

May want a verbatim example of the subject line. As moderator of the Willard Boat Owners Group, many people forget something, often location.

"FOR SALE: 1998 Bayliner 4788 Boston MA"

Normally I'd suggest the price in the subject, but since seller might want to adjust price later if it doesn't sell, may want to wait and include in description. Future post by OP could then say "price reduction to $xxx, xxx"

Thanks for doing this. While I agree with Ted that not all will follow, having a guideline will help many people remember what to include.

Peter

Peter - M/V Weebles -
Good points and will try to incorporate in whatever we end up with
Thanks

Ted
A great suggestion - unfortunately our current forum software doesn't support forms.
I thought we (Mods / /Admin) considered this when we last did some organizing in the Classified sections. I did reconfirm the above again and the answer is "not at this time"

A "copy & paste" in a "sticky" likely the best we could consider at this time.

Thanks

Ted
A great suggestion - unfortunately our current forum software doesn't support forms.
I thought we (Mods / /Admin) considered this when we last did some organizing in the Classified sections. I did reconfirm the above again and the answer is "not at this time"

A "copy & paste" in a "sticky" likely the best we could consider at this time.

Thanks

Can you put a page up that you have to read before you can start a for sale thread? Imo, you're going to have limited success if you can't force people to read the requirements before they start their thread.

Ted

Probably more important is not having trolls doing their thing with classifieds, or having input here. Surely the advertiser should be allowed, within reason, to frame the advert as he/she/they wish.

Pretty difficult to make things idiot proof.
Even the pages you have to open and check the "I have read and agree" boxes can't really confirm understanding and compliance.
We try to educate users and eliminate the spammers about the best we can do.
Members can assist with the "report this post" button. That way we get notified and can eliminate the worst offenses quickly.

The Site Team

Last edited:
The format, as I voted is fine.

What annoys me about our current system are the morons who believe they have a chance to make "helpful/caustic/rude or just plain ignorant comments about the boat - why not allow the add to be posted then lock it so if anyone has legitimate questions they contact the seller by PM

Last edited:
The format, as I voted is fine.

What annoys me about our current system are the morons who believe they have a chance to make "helpful/caustic/rude or just plain ignorant comments about the boat - why not allow the add to be posted then lock it so if anyone has legitimate questions they contact the seller by PM
That is something to consider.
We (SiteTeam) have done clean up / editing where we find flagrant violations.
Again the "Report Post" button will bring problems to our attention very quickly.

While I understand why locking a post makes sense, there are unintended consequences. 4 of 5 posts that get chatter generate positive chatter. Serves to bump the listing to top of list - a good thing. Of course, the feedback for 1 in 5 may not be glowing and make the OP sorry they ever heard of TF.

Most negative feedback seems to stem from one of three reasons: OP set-and-forget and doesn't respond to questions /comments. Price is perceived as high (more than just the one idiot that says "I'll give you half"). And finally, it's a wooden boat.

Peter

Poll Closed and Action Taken

To close this discussion out...

I just posted a Classified Ad Format "sticky" in the Boats For Sale section that includes the points discussed here. Unfortunately the TF software does not allow some of the suggested items - forms - required reading - etc.
The current decision is to not close / lock For Sale Ads as a normal practice. We (Mods) will be scanning & editing ads to ensure compliance with the guidelines.
If an advertiser would like specific posts removed / edited they are encouraged to use the "Report Post Button" at the bottom left of any post to submit a report / request to the mods.

As part of the classified clean-up I have noticed a number of boats sold so the TF classifieds appears to be working for members. I'm hoping the recent enhancements will add efficiency and effectiveness of the classifieds.

While we are enforcing the prohibition against discussion in the classified sections the use of PM's and starting a discussion thread in other appropriate sections is encouraged.

Thanks to all that responded to the poll and submitted suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom