Clamptite anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
Has anyone used / or seen one of these used?

Buy ClampTite Tools and Wires

It uses stainless steel wire to 'make a pipe clamp' by tensioning the wire around the pipe. once it is under tension, you clip the wire off and tuck the ends down and remove the tool.

A: I doubt this would pass a decent surveyor's attention...

B: I think that a compression clamp deforms a hose enough with a far wider tension area, so has to be better than a wire clamp.

But you see cars using spring clamps on their radiator lines all the time.

Perhaps it could be useful in an emergency toolbag, when you don't have a clamp to fit?

Guess it depends on intended use. I have a Band-It tool in my damage control bag. Extremely useful for any number of "rough" attachment situations. May be habit - every damage control roll in the USN has a Band-It tool. The primary disadvantage I see with the ClampTite is your item B, above. Band-It uses approx 1/2" wide bands vice wire.

Has anyone used / or seen one of these used?

Buy ClampTite Tools and Wires

I have one.....It's not very easy or convenient to use, and needs lots of swing room which you may or may not have. I think you're better off using quality (removable) clamps for the purpose (Not cheap Home depot clamps). Quality stuff for a variety of hose materials are readily available at McMaster-Carr

Put a stock of various sizes in the emergency bag.

We had a discussion of useful tools a couple of years ago and this one caught my eye as practical for a field repair, so I bought it. I then practiced with it a few times to get the hang of it. I keep a good supply of SS wire onboard, stored right between my duct tape and my WD40 and right behind my Rescue Tape.

Have had one for almost 20 years. It is an emergency tool that works very well. If you only put one loop of wire and tighten it down you are using it wrong and will likely cut your hose. Use three loops and it will probably hold forever. I keep mine and have used it several times, at home and on the boat, but ALWAYS replace asap with SS clamps. Why tempt fate?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom