Choosing a hard dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fatty Knees 8

Attachments

• 40C0CA63-0B8D-470B-BBEF-9A571D0EF179.jpg
    40C0CA63-0B8D-470B-BBEF-9A571D0EF179.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 56
  • E6E9BD88-0E5C-42E6-95B0-91161465747E.jpg
    E6E9BD88-0E5C-42E6-95B0-91161465747E.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 58
A lapstrake curvy hull might look distracting hanging off your stern. I think a smooth sided pram (or a Livingston) would look nice with the sharp angular lines of your Chris Craft.

Prams have a lot more stability and volume. But you may have to build it yourself.

A lapstrake curvy hull might look distracting hanging off your stern. I think a smooth sided pram (or a Livingston) would look nice with the sharp angular lines of your Chris Craft.

Prams have a lot more stability and volume. But you may have to build it yourself.

I had a similar thought, although I think anything traditional looking enough would be ok, especially if it's got some wood to match up with my teak toe rail on the transom. The bright white of the plastic dinghies would have a similar mis-match problem.

Here's a picture of the transom for anyone wondering. I figure I'd want the dinghy tucked up just above the transom, although that would interfere with the flag pole, so I'd have to either relocate it or make it taller. The transom ladder doesn't stick out all that far, so that shouldn't be an issue and I'm not worried about blocking it, as there would be no headroom to use the platform without launching the dinghy anyway. Only time that would be a pain is for fueling (I normally stand on the platform to fuel, as the fills are on the aft corners of the deck).

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_151948.jpg
    IMG_20190805_151948.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 66
Looks like another good option. The challenge seems to be mostly around finding one that's not a long way away.

I drove seven hours each way to go look at it and pay for it. I gave an additional donation to the museum to store it for the winter since I couldn’t cartop it at the time. Picked it up four months later on our northerly spring migration.

I thought it was a fair deal for its condition. Original owner restored it and donated to the museum to sell. Came with a bunch of stuff including his correspondence complaining to Lyle Hess about the price Edey & Duff was charging. Like owning a piece of nautical heritage.

We bought a West Marine Classic for our old boat (replacing a worn out inflatable). A few observations:

1. It's tippy. Entering and exiting from the swim platform or dock was always a little tricky.

2. Limited Interior Volume. Two people, a dog and some groceries and you can't move around too much, exacerbating #1.

3. It doesn't row/track well. I found rowing it to be almost a waste of time. We had a small 4.5 hp outboard on it which worked fine.

The new [to us] boat came with a Bullfrog and I could not be happier.

We bought a West Marine Classic for our old boat (replacing a worn out inflatable). A few observations:

1. It's tippy. Entering and exiting from the swim platform or dock was always a little tricky.

2. Limited Interior Volume. Two people, a dog and some groceries and you can't move around too much, exacerbating #1.

3. It doesn't row/track well. I found rowing it to be almost a waste of time. We had a small 4.5 hp outboard on it which worked fine.

The new [to us] boat came with a Bullfrog and I could not be happier.

Good to know. I guess I'll knock that one off the list. It's too bad it's not a better performer, as it's by far the best looking cheap dinghy I've ever seen.

Fatty Knees 8

That looks HUGE compared to my 7' Fatty Knees. (In a good way.) Yet even the 7' is a real freighter when you need it to be. Mine was built by Hess Manufacturing in Ontario, California, who preceded Edey & Duff (who have since stopped making them).

Fatty Knees Boat Company started making them again - and they look to be done to a high standard (as has been the case in the past); but can't tell for sure if they are still producing them.

Last edited:
I've got a 10' Boatex that I know next to nothing about. I launched it off the davits for the the first time a couple of weeks ago, and decided that it's definitely not for me.

It's a nice looking little fiberglass job with a lapstrake look. It's got a slot for a centerboard, and can be fitted with a sailing rig, though I don't own one.

It's too tippy for me. That's not necessarily a criticism of the boat, but of my really big clumsy arse. I'm not going to use it, and will be replacing it with a RIB at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 8.jpg
    1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 8.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 79
That looks HUGE compared to my 7' Fatty Knees. (In a good way.) Yet even the 7' is a real freighter when you need it to be. Mine was built by Hess Manufacturing in Ontario, California, who preceded Edey & Duff (who have since stopped making them).

Fatty Knees Boat Company started making them again - and they look to be done to a high standard (as has been the case in the past); but can't tell for sure if they are still producing them.

Yes, I’ve spoken to the owner at the Annapolis Sailboat show and was close to ordering one. Then I thought maybe I should try a used one first to see if it works for us before spending that much. I may yet but, this one is 30 years old and in good shape. Maybe get some Shaw & Tenney oars like the new ones have.

He has one company do the glass work, then sends it to a wood shop to finish.
Probably a cost effective way to do it for a low volume company. Each boat is pretty much built to order. The ones I’ve seen at boat shows and some new ones hanging on davits look very high quality.

I've got a 10' Boatex that I know next to nothing about. I launched it off the davits for the the first time a couple of weeks ago, and decided that it's definitely not for me.

It's a nice looking little fiberglass job with a lapstrake look. It's got a slot for a centerboard, and can be fitted with a sailing rig, though I don't own one.

It's too tippy for me. That's not necessarily a criticism of the boat, but of my really big clumsy arse. I'm not going to use it, and will be replacing it with a RIB at some point.

Looks like a nice boat. RIBs don't usually row for squat. Have you thought about an inflatable collar? If that's possible...?

-Chris

That's a nice looking little boat! If you make it somewhere close to my part of the north this season, let me know, as I'd love to try it out. It looks like a pretty good size, although I'm sure those rounded chines don't give it a ton of initial stability. Although with the NY Canals not opening on time and no info yet on what we'll get for a season, I don't know how far north you'll be able to get.

Outside of something like that, I think the target might be a 9' Dyer Dhow at this point. Looks like pretty much the most stable and highest capacity hard dinghy I'm going to find, and the look is classic with plenty of wood, so it should fit in just fine behind my oyster colored (off-white) boat with brown canvas and teak. Now the challenge is finding a good used one, although most are a bit pricey as most have the sail rig. A new one without the sail rig is $2500-ish, and I'm not sure if that includes the centerboard for the option of a future sail conversion.

You might try calling the Fatty Knees Boat Company mentioned above. The fellow came off as a good guy in the youtube video I watched.

As to price new: I'd expect it to be expensive initially. I want to say they were around $3,000 20 years ago (?). I bought mine used at around that time for, if memory serves, $800. It's only a 7', and didn't have some of the fancier options (floorboards, gunwale guard). The oars were hideous. It did have the sail rig in nice shape.

Mine was used practically daily for some years (including beaching, hauling gear, on and off the boat, tropics, etc.), it is now 36 years old, and it's still in good condition. So it amortizes well. For me it's been $40 per year, plus 18' of gunwale guard and a pair of Shaw & Tenney oars. (I just need a trawler to go with it :rolleyes:)

I see used ones from time-to-time. Most often 8-footers.

Last edited:
The OP clearly stated rowing was his major priority and he intended using it as a real dinghy.

Fatty Knees shines. She could use a tad more rocker to be even a better rowboat and retain her rowing abilities when loaded. But the OP wants a dinghy and the primary and secondary purpose is to carry stuff to the shore or dock. So It’s really a tiny freighter. That’s where Fatty Knees has the apparent edge over most all others. Dinghies must be small and the very high freeboard increases her carrying capacity tremendously.

There are quite a few sport boats on this thread I’d dearly love to own. But they mostly have much more sport than utility. And a dinghy is very much a utility boat. And everybody has rave reviews for Fatty Knees.

Does the cute name Fatty Knees have something to do w the oversized chine volume?

Those are good points, Nomad Willy. Even though I have the smallest Fatty Knees (7'), it can haul a lot of weight, and still every other wave isn't coming over the gunwale. It is a very "deep" boat for its size.

I absolutely love to row, and while it's not a sliding seat shell (which would make a terrible dinghy anyway), it is a fun boat to row. My only rowing complaint on the 7' is that if I'm solo and the boat is empty (and I'm sitting such that I can brace my feet on the aft seat), it's a bit bow heavy. A bit of weight on the aft seat and it's fine (say about 40#). I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't apply to the 8' or 9' (not sure tho').

In case I sound like a one-man cheering squad, I realize there are other great hard dinghies; I just don't have as much experience with any others so can't speak to them.

PS: The story goes that one day while Lyle Hess was drawing the Fatty Knees, his wife was sitting with a grandchild on her lap, drying it off after a bath. As one does, she playfully pinched the grandchild's knee and said something like "Oh look at those cute fatty knees!" Whereupon the grandchild said "But Grandma, look at your fatty knees!" Maybe too that is why the sail logo is a heart :flowers:

Last edited:
Frosty,
I frequently use plastic jugs (mostly 5 gal) for ballast fwd in canoes paddling solo.
I carry them empty in the car and fill just before lunch and dump out when hauling out.

In the pic I used 50# lead shot bags ..(2).

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 008 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 008 copy.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
That's similar to what I used (3-4 gallons of water). Some day I'll find out if one can simply "scooch away" the problem on the 8-footer's T-seat.

Nice looking canoe!

Frosty,
Clipper Canoe for sale .. $1,500.
It’s a Canadian freight canoe made w kevlar.
Engine not for sale.

You could modify the seating so the main seat is fore and aft.

Stern
Sssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ... Bow
Stern

Imagine these two lines are your boat. I’ll insert the seat now.

This way there will be lots of room for your feet. If you install another pair of oar locks you’ll be able to trim out with practically any feasible load. Just scooch to trim.

Last edited:
I still haven't nailed down how I'm going to carry the thing, but I'm trying to narrow down my dinghy options in the meantime. The basic criteria are: must row well, needs to carry 2 people + dog, shouldn't weigh much over 100 lbs.

So far, for the budget category, I've come up with 3 options, all in plastic: Walker Bay 8, West Marine Classic Dinghy, Water Tender 9.4. The Water Tender has the most interior room of the 3 and the highest load capacity, but is also likely the slowest to row and is the heaviest at 106 lbs. The Walker Bay has the lowest load capacity, least space and highest price, but is also the lightest weight. The WM Classic Dinghy is the longest, but with a bit less room and load capacity than the Water Tender and is only slightly lighter. But with the longer waterline, it's got a good shot at being the fastest / easiest to row (although it's hard to tell how much transom it drags in the water compared to the Walker Bay).

There are also more expensive options like the smaller Gig Harbor boats, although I'm not sure how much I want to spend.

Keep in mind, I'm not afraid of marinas and we aren't cruising full time, so this thing doesn't need to be my only link to shore for extended periods of time. I don't expect to regularly go more than a 1/4 mile or so with it, and if that plan changes, I'll deal with an outboard for it (until then, I intend to row for simplicity, cost and less weight on the mothership).

With that in mind, what does everyone think / suggest? Are there any good options that I haven't thought of?
Have you checked out the Portland Pudgy? I have one that came with the boat. It is certified for 4 adults, is essentially plastic, unsinkable, and would work well for 2 adults and a dog. I'm quite happy with it, if you are only using it for short distances as you've said.
Cheers

Have you checked out the Portland Pudgy? I have one that came with the boat. It is certified for 4 adults, is essentially plastic, unsinkable, and would work well for 2 adults and a dog. I'm quite happy with it, if you are only using it for short distances as you've said.
Cheers

It's on the list if I find one at the right price, but it's a little on the small side and also a bit heavier than I'd like. Both of which which make me think that for the price of a new one, I can do better.

rslifkin,
Small? It carries 4 adults .. did you miss that?

rslifkin,
Small? It carries 4 adults .. did you miss that?

It's rated to carry 4, yes. But it's only 7'8" and a fairly average 4'4" beam, so in terms of total space, it's not particularly large. It carries more weight than most of its size at 557 lbs, but that's still less than something like a Dyer Dhow (which is longer for more usable space and higher hull speed and also lighter). The Pudgy does seem like a well thought-out design though.

I had a 10 or 11 ft Livingston. Rowed ok. Had a 6.5 Evinjrude on it with Lift & Low bracket on it. Had to be carefull getting in and out. Would carry about 3 adults. Friend bought a 12 ft Bullfrog. Had a 20 hp honda on it. spent 15K on it. Was a nice one but extremely heavy. Had weaver davits on it which worked great. Bullfrog was pretty stable to get in and out of. would easily carry 4 big people. The Livingston and OB cost about 1300. The Bullfrog and OB cost him 15,000.

If anyone finds the perfect dinghy PLEASE let me know and send a picture.

Effort number three is a 12 or 13 foot Sears aluminum fishing boat that I cut the transom off of and took a four foot piece out of the rear and reattached the transom. I am close on this one. With one person on board it planes nicely with a 9hp outboard and would win a marina dinghy race. With two people on board all it does is plow water and throw a bigger wake than the mother ship.

pete

I'm surprised that Pete's 8 or 9' aluminum boat won't plane with two people with 9hp. I am using a 12' Porta Bote with 2' cut off the bow to fit across my transom. It planes at speeds of 8-10 knots with me and my wife on board and powered by a 4hp Mariner.
I have been happy with the Porta Bote except, as I get older, for the flexing of the bottom when you step in and while planing. Has three seats with room behind the aft seat to put a gas can and your foot if you sit sideways.
I haven't folded the boat up since I got it. I stiffened the sides with a couple of plastic boards so I could stand it on its side on the swim platform.
Not great for rowing, but I have rowed it a quarter mile or more when necessary.

Back
Top Bottom