Chicago Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
Suggestions for Chicago marinas? Thanks.

Sorry, I can't help....but I can say that the annual loopie hoard is on its way down the west coast of Michigan.

Question is what do you want to do in Chicago? If you plan to spend some time touring the city, three suggestions:

DuSable on the near north side near Navy Pier and Michigan Ave. Burnham on the near south side near the museum campus. Burnham puts transients on the T docks at the end of each dock. Both DuSable and Burnham are within long walks to everything in the downtown area. Both have access to excellent bus networks.

For the closest to the loop (downtown), and the greatest views the mooring balls at Monroe Harbor are great. You must use (security) the harbor provided launches to get back and forth from the boat. Good system and part of the nominal nightly charge. If you take a mooring ball stay away from the center opening of the breakwall if you can. As of yesterday there were plenty of open mooring balls.

If you plan on spending time in Hyde Park (University of Chicago) then the 31st street marina could be considered.

We've stayed at DuSable Harbor twice and found it more convenient to major downtown attractions than Burnham. Magnificent views of the city skyline at night and very close to the Navy Pier. Be sure and visit the Corinthian Yacht Club next door for a drink on their top deck.

Captain Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be in Hammond this coming weekend if the lake drops from it's forecasted 7' seas on Friday.

Hammond Marina is close to the Calumet channel which will be busy over the Labor Day weekend.

The marina is very big with good fuel prices before entering highly taxed IL, I called them and they have plenty of dockage available at good transient pricing.

Gwkiwi

What is your airdraft? I had thought that the Defever 49s were too high to make the trip south from Chicago.

I can get it down to 19' without lowering the arch which means I have to go through the channel south of Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom