Old 01-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Ebb Tide
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38
Chevron Delo 400 lube oil

Been using Chevron Delo 400 Diesel oil forever. Best price in the Northwest has been at Costco. Costco does not carry Chevron anymore, the have changed to their own "Signature" brand. I hate changing brands as I have never had any issue with Chevron and the engine has used the same oil since new, 1500 hours.. I see Costco is getting their oil from an east coast distributer and they are a very reputable company. Yes I can go somewhere else and buy Chevron but I am also a little frugal. Anyone have any thoughts on this. To change brands or not.

Dick Geving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Dick,
I feel your pain. My tranny has had Delo 400 single weight (30 or 40 wt.) since new. Around here, the only place I could find it was at the Chevron offices. Like trying to find "Hen's teeth" or a unicorn.

I may be forced to change, and probably not that big a deal if the specs are the same.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Crappy tire has it. I was intensely annoyed when they stopped putting it in imperial barrels and now in US barrels for the same price.

Every part of a boat dollar spent hurts, even on something as inconsequential as oil but it doesn't hurt nearly so much as a rip-off.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Xs,
Agree totally. I hate it when I KNOW I am being taken advantage of (ripped off).
I don't think that CT carries the single weight oil (Delo) over here on Van. Isle. I will look again though.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My engines typically get Delo 400 or Rotella depending on price. Lately, best price has been Walmart or Amazon.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #6

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
I am able to get my local auto parts store to order it for me. Their prices are not great obviously. Last time I bought my 4 cases the clerk could not be convinced to ring it up X3 for each case despite my telling him several times that he wasn't charging me correctly, so I got charged for 4 gallons. I consider it my annual bulk buying discount!
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #7

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Ebb Tide
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38
I have always been told use the manufactures recommended oil and never change it. The engines sort of get used to whatever you are using. My four years in the Coast Guard as a mechanic supported that also. I know times and lubrication guidelines have changed as we now have synthetic oil, and even multi-vis since I started.
Dick Geving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We now buy DELO 400 from Walmart. Good price and if local store doesn't have it we then online order and get delivered to front door.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #9

City: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Roughín It
Vessel Model: Roughwater 41
BI-Mart carries it
Roughnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
In the Seattle area I've gotten it at fuel docks servicing commercial boats, Fisheries Supply, Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply, NAPA and O'Rielly auto parts. Dunno how those prices compare to Costco, but it's out there.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
If you can order from Amazon, they have it.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #12

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Walmart has it and I think it's cheaper than it usually was at Costco. Curbside pickup worked great when I recently ordered some.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-D...allon/16940138
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Walmart has it and I think it's cheaper than it usually was at Costco. Curbside pickup worked great when I recently ordered some.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-D...allon/16940138
Curbside at Walmart does work extremely well. That is all we use for grocery shopping now. Fast and easy.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #14
Guru

You might be correct about single-weight at C.T. I use Delo 15/40. Apologies. I do know for a fact that the Chevron fuel barges (very elusive now, I know) carry it.

Pratt and Whitney Junior engines, found mostly in Beavers, used single-weight 50 oil. You even used single weight non-detergent oil for the first 100 hours after an overhaul to break it in. Some bright spark started using multi-grade synthetic and the result is that the engine is now certified to use same. Less cylinder failures, less rod bearing failures and longer cooler running lifespan. I'm only blathering this because after an overhaul, no worries about changing oil. Our boats are not from the '30's but they are pretty old (like Lehmans) so I don't think changing the oil (type, grade) will really hurt one, but then again, all oil topics are voodoo and religion and rarely based on any real knowledge except anecdote. I just wouldn't lose any sleep about a change.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
My engine’s never seen anything but Delo400 30w.

I get mine at NAPA.
You can get Valvoline there too as NAPA branded lube oil. FYI

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #16
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
........all oil topics are voodoo and religion and rarely based on any real knowledge except anecdote. I just wouldn't lose any sleep about a change.
I admit to believing oil voodoo and religion. I try to always run the same brand, weight and spec oil. When forced to change I will do a low hours 2nd change on the new oil and stick with that oil until forced to change oils again. I will only in emergencies mix oils between changes. Voodoo it may be but I've gotten decades and 10s of thousands of hours on old engines with little trouble.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #17

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
Just changed oil in both Twindisc gears. Delo 400, 40W, in-store at OíReilyís.
DCDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
You might be correct about single-weight at C.T. I use Delo 15/40. Apologies. I do know for a fact that the Chevron fuel barges (very elusive now, I know) carry it.

Pratt and Whitney Junior engines, found mostly in Beavers, used single-weight 50 oil. You even used single weight non-detergent oil for the first 100 hours after an overhaul to break it in. Some bright spark started using multi-grade synthetic and the result is that the engine is now certified to use same. Less cylinder failures, less rod bearing failures and longer cooler running lifespan. I'm only blathering this because after an overhaul, no worries about changing oil. Our boats are not from the '30's but they are pretty old (like Lehmans) so I don't think changing the oil (type, grade) will really hurt one, but then again, all oil topics are voodoo and religion and rarely based on any real knowledge except anecdote. I just wouldn't lose any sleep about a change.
Agreed. Changing oils won't hurt as long as the new stuff is appropriate for the needs of the engine. The majority of the engines on this site don't have any super specific oil needs.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #19

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
I admit to believing oil voodoo and religion. I try to always run the same brand, weight and spec oil. When forced to change I will do a low hours 2nd change on the new oil and stick with that oil until forced to change oils again. I will only in emergencies mix oils between changes. Voodoo it may be but I've gotten decades and 10s of thousands of hours on old engines with little trouble.
I feel the same, never mix brands unless you are in a pinch. Never change brands/weight unless forced. Call it superstitious or voodoo, but it is what it is.

Harbor Marine in Everett Stocks Most Delo weights including straight 40 for us Detroit guys.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #20
Guru

I'm surprised that Twin Discs use 40 wt, I was sure it was 30. I'm off to check her out tomorrow so I'll read my plate. Curious.