Old 03-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

City: Chesapeake, VA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: 1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Cheoy Lee 40' LRC

Surprised at the lack of discussion internet wide about the Cheoy Lee 40' LRC. I first started looking at these after reading "Voyaging Under Power" and the discussion of the voyages of the "China Blue".

I would like to hear the forums ideas on this boat listed on Yacht World; both value and cruising capabilities.

1979 Cheoy Lee 40' LRC
kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Well, it has three pluses compared to most Taiwan/China built trawlers: no teak, fiberglass tanks and new aluminum window frames. Each of these can be big bucks to deal with on most trawlers of this vintage.

The cabinetry looks pretty industrial- white painted panels with teak trim, not like the typical TT. Instrumentation is minimal and would need upgrading for extensive cruising. Seems to have the basic systems: air conditioning and Phasor genset.

I wouldn't try a real blue water passage with it. Don't know about hull, window strength and any ballast. But it could do the Caribbean if you carefully watch the weather. That full displacement hull should make seakeeping ok, but to really be comfortable offshore you need stabilizers.

But to put it into perspective, I have seen an older Grand Banks 42 that looked just as good for less money, but that boat didn't have the three plusses.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

City: Chesapeake, VA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: 1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I wouldn't try a real blue water passage with it. Don't know about hull, window strength and any ballast. .....
According to Beebe, Shephard Root made a passage from Hong Kong to Ft Lauderdale in 1977-1978 aboard a "stock" Cheoy Lee 40' LRC.

I would assume that a "stock" 1979 would have the same sea keeping capabilities even 40 years later, at least as far as design, ballast & overall seaworthiness of the vessel.

I understand that there are things that would perish, but in general I would assume the basic boat would still retain its functionality as it was designed.

Just a few thoughts,
Kurt
kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Cheoy Lee is a good pedigree. I took a look at the pictures of the boat, though, and I agree with Dave on roll with this hull in a beam sea. The chines are soft.....rounded bilges. Offshore in a beam sea without stabilization means lots of roll. Whether this is a deal breaker for you is a question only you can answer. I don't think I'd like to take this boat offshore, personally.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
1979 Cheoy Lee 40' LRC[/QUOTE]

I know nothing about the boat or the line - just know that this particular boat has been listed for a while. I looked at the listing probably 1 1/2 years ago so if you decide to pursue know you may have some room to negotiate with an owner ready to sell.

John
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
FF
Guru

"Offshore in a beam sea without stabilization means lots of roll."

Perhaps but the roll checks , stops and starts , gently un like a chine boat.

This softer motion might go further but the kinder accelerations allow comfortable cruising when a slight course change is undesirable.

No fun cruising in a Vomit Comet.

"Instrumentation is minimal and would need upgrading for extensive cruising."

GPS , autopilot , compass what else besides a sextant and chronometer would be required to circumnavigate?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Personally I think it's a nice boat. Looking at the haul out pic, I see no reason this boat could not make a sea voyage. Get a good survey done and go from there. It looks to me that it may have the original fuel tanks which may or may not have to be replaced at some point in time. That is a complete guessing game unless you are able to see them. I have a MT with what I'm assuming to be original tanks. Prepare financially down the road for possible replacement. Around 10 grand. (tanks could not be seen on survey).

All and all, it's a nice boat. Needs some updating and yes I agree with electronics. You can easily add 20 grand to the price to make it your own if you do most of the work yourself. (excluding tanks)
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. D. I understand Cheoy Lee's have FRP (fiberglass) tanks so no rust or replacement worries.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. D. I understand Cheoy Lee's have FRP (fiberglass) tanks so no rust or replacement worries.
Excellent RT! Another reason to buy the boat!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote