Cheermen pt 38 mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2dboat

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
WAVELENGTH [formerly San-Bar]
Vessel Make
1981 CHEER MEN PT 38 EUROPA
hi 'forumites'.

My wife and I are the proud owner of a 1981 CHEERMEN PT 38 sedan trawler. Somewhere in her life, SAN-BAR had the mast removed and a radar arch installed. Not sure I like the arch and the 80's vintage radar is all but dead anyways. Does anyone have a picture of the mast they can share. I see Cheermen photos online but of course the mast is not shown well, what with canvas around the upper rails etc.

thanks!
bill & mary
trawler SAN-BAR
Victoria Harbour, Ontario

Here are a couple of photos of our mast on Rochepoint, a 1985 PT38 Sedan. It is an aluminum section hinged to fold with two stainless supports on the aft section when raised.

When I get to the boat next I will get some better photos of it........:thumb:

Attachments

• DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 195.jpg
    195.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 190
THANK YOU. Apart from the hinge is that the original design? I envisioned the original mast was wood. If it is aluminum even better as I can use it as a ground plane for a ham radio antenna. Our cabin top still has the pad for the mast and six threaded rods with nuts in place [ready to stub your toe!]

I had a 1982 Cheer Men PT-41. She had a wood mast. Will look for a pic to post.

Trawler mast

Is this what you had in mind?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 67
Maybe a little more like this.......:flowers:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 238
Picture turn

How did you do that? I couldn't :)

At our PT38 Sedan today and took some photos of our mast setup, hope these help you with some ideas....:thumb:

Attachments

• Mast1.jpg
    Mast1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Mast2.jpg
    Mast2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Mast3.jpg
    Mast3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 165
I replaced the rotten wood mast on our '84 Fu Hwa sedan trawler. I disliked the shrouds that supported it since I found it easy to walk into them. I made the new mast of aluminum spi pole and built-up fiberglass components for the masthead. I used the original bronze hinged maststep. I made a tabernacle to retain the mast in place in lieu of the shrouds. There are pictures in my albums.

I considered a radar arch but cost and looks...

I like the cantilevered (out of the deck) hinged masts, as in the photos above, but the flybridge floor structure really would have to be looked at carefully! A cantilevered and hinged maststep could be made for a wood mast if you really wanted the varnished look.

BIG Thanks folks - the 'six bolt base' is what I have on the cabin top. As it turns out the prior owner of SAN-BAR has the mast in her garage in Michigan, so we'll rent a pick-up and go see what shape it's in. If nothing else I'll have a pattern for a new one. When I'm done anyone want to a radar arch for a cheermen cheap!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom