Old 05-10-2022, 02:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
It certainly could have been so much worse for the surrounding oats.
They could have turned to porridge?
Old 05-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
They could have turned to porridge?
Fat fingers…
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Oh boy, here come the propane paranoics.
Wifey B: Yep, here. Present and accounted for. Hand up in air.

We have all the gas paranoics here and I'm not, but we don't have propane on our boats. Too many bad stories from marinas and houseboats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #24
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
We have gas on board and very much like the set up. Though I do agree you really do need to keep an eye on it.

We have just taken down our head liners and removed all the existing copper lines, as they had weld joints in them.We replaced them with rubber lines. Out went the manual off/on gas cock also located in the headliner. This was replaced by a 12 volt solenoid unit located in the gas locker with an activating rocker switch located above the stove in the galley.

Not a cheap job but as Wifey B said, with gas there are too many potential areas where things can go wrong with pretty dire results.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Yep, gas on a boat is dangerous! I can point to lots of factual stories of propane explosions . . . then again I can point to a LOT MORE boats that have had fires, or been total loses due to electrical problems . . . . but I'm not saying that electrical systems should be avoided on boats . . . .

In my mind, a more true statement would be "Poorly designed, or maintained propane systems, as well as electrical systems are a hazard on boats in general."

The takeaway here for me is to inspect, or have your boat inspected to insure that systems are properly designed, built/installed, and maintained. Correct deficiencies as necessary, and don't be a captive to your fears.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:17 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
But that is the problem, too many do not check the system and/or do not have proper systems in the first place. Just look at the “ creative “ ways people have talked about here.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:40 AM   #27
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
But that is the problem, too many do not check the system and/or do not have proper systems in the first place. Just look at the “ creative “ ways people have talked about here.
Or they think their system is a "proper" system and cruise merrily along blissfully ignorant.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:52 AM   #28

City: Here and there
Quote:
Except that anecdotal stories of other boats blowing up doesn’t effect the safety of propane use on my boat (unless I’m next to one of those other “creative” boats) and shouldn’t factor into my decision.

The solution to the problem would be for the CG to conduct mandatory inspections of propane systems on boats. And, not wait until they are underway but, get all the slip queens and derelict liveaboards too. Require them all to retrofit to ABYC standards or immediately and permanently disable the dangerous system.

The alternative solution to the problem is to outright ban propane. Of course we’d have to first ban electricity on all boats because we’ve all seen the pie charts showing fires from electricity causing more destruction than any other source. ABYC could help get the ball rolling by, rather than accommodating lithium batteries, just outright ban them.

Oil lamps too, while we’re at it.

“The price of freedom is accepting that some of the other people exercising that same freedom are idiots.” -Anon.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote