Check those Fuel Lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So one project this fall was to have all the fuel hoses from the fuel tanks replace. I believe these are the original lines from 1988. 20200929_105200.jpeg20200929_105119.jpeg

I found a similar situation last year on my at the time new to me 83 Californian. All of the hoses from the tanks to the engines crumbled when disturbed.

Keep in mind rubber parts such as hoses have a life span. The port engineer I worked for said 12 yrs from date of manufacture.

Jimmy Palmer come thru again?

Kinda looks like the fish you haven’t caught, good thing MS. Kay is stocking the freezer.

Cheers Buddy

Good lord!

Are all of your fuel line runs visible to and from the tanks and valves?

I know the feeling. When I bought my boat, all of the (Probably original to 1987) rubber 3/8” fuel delivery lines were weeping diesel. I replaced every inch. The tank fill and vent lines had been replaced but this is a good reminder to check them Again since they must be getting up to 10-15 years old now.

Ken

Geeez Tom, I'm surprised any fuel got to those engines at all.

Yup, it's time to replace them.

Good lord!

Are all of your fuel line runs visible to and from the tanks and valves?

Based on this all fuel tank lines are now new and shiny.It was interesting that the vent lines had no access from above. When the boat was made it appears the floor was laid over the top of the tanks thus blocking access to the clamp holding the line. A 5 inch hole had to be drilled to gain access. The hole is behind the wall, so you can't see it.

I replaced engine lines last year. Pooper lines from the pump to thru hull replaced too.

Attachments

• fuel line.jpg
    fuel line.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 53
I think my fuel lines (supply and return) are all copper. Boat is from 1990. I assume they are original, so 30 years old. Do most of you have hoses or copper for fuel lines?

BTW, nice maintenance project, ASD. It has to feel good to have that done. I did replace all our sanitation hoses last year...... that's fun!

I think my fuel lines (supply and return) are all copper. Boat is from 1990. I assume they are original, so 30 years old. Do most of you have hoses or copper for fuel lines?

BTW, nice maintenance project, ASD. It has to feel good to have that done. I did replace all our sanitation hoses last year...... that's fun!

Most of my fuel lines are copper but the lines around the engines and bleeder pumps and valves are rubber.

Ken

Most of my fuel lines are copper but the lines around the engines and bleeder pumps and valves are rubber.

Ken
Same here and they have a red plastic covering on them.

My original 1984 fuel lines were copper. I repllaced them with stainless steel tubing but the copper may have lsted for many years if it wasn't subjected to vibration.

I replaced all the fuel lines, return lines, and hoses from the fill pipes to the tanks in 2017 while doing my refit and repower. At the time they were 15 years old. They were stiff with some cracking of the outer rubber. At the time, I rationalized that I could own the boat 15 years, didn't want to chase leaks while cruising, and the cost of materials was insignificant. Doubt I had $500 in materials including the 1.5" fill hoses.

Ted

they look like mine did .mine were 86 maybe not quite as bad as yours . I changed the deck drain hoses while I was in there two done twenty more to go.

Great reminder. It's never fun replacing lines, no matter the type, but is always inconvenient after one fails.

Mine have all been replaced before and look / feel good on inspection, but they're about 15 years old (all rubber) at this point, so it's definitely time for me to look at replacing them again.

Great reminder. It's never fun replacing lines, no matter the type, but is always inconvenient after one fails.

I agree, however I paid a marine service to do this job. Jim Palmer in Portland. Sometimes hard to get on his calendar, but his team does a great job.:thumb::thumb:

WOW just got the bill. Ouch.....

I saved a LOT of $$ on labor by doing it myself!!:eek:

Just as a point of reference, the standard in aircraft mechanics is to change out all hoses at ten years of service. I have done a lot of aircraft inspection and inspection of hoses by bending and inspecting for cracks. While the consequences of a hose failure on an aircraft are significantly greater than on a boat, I still wouldn't want to be racing a tide window through Seymour Narrows and have a hose fail. I recommend an annual inspection of hoses and replacement at ten years making an appropriate maintenance log entry. (BTW, I write the date of installation on the hose in a silver marker pen)

I have two 150 gal diesel fuel tanks. I discovered leaking fuel in the bilge. I soaked it up after first thinking it was expansion after the weather started getting warm. I top off before putting it away for the winter. After checking it again in a couple of hours it was back. So now I knew it was a leak and called my mechanic after bailing out about 20 gallons of fuel over the weekend. We had snipped the bilge pump wire to prevent a catastrophe and had the boat pulled. He said the tank was leaking from the bottom. He cut the floor out and removed the tank, a major job. Three different tests were performed on the tank once extracted and it didn't leak! I called the Cruisers Yacht company and spoke to one of their professionals. He told me it was not uncommon for diesel fuel lines to crack or burst and that they do not have check valves like gas tanks. The fuel will leak creating a suction thus siphoning the fuel from the tank through the pick up tube and continue leaking. Also he told me the fuel line runs down from the top of the tank through the insulation that would make it appear that the tank was leaking from the bottom. The mechanic never ran a pressure check before extracting the tank. This all resulted in having to run new lines and buy a new tank.....an over $24,000 job!!! Such a waste so learn from my mistake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom