CHB transom step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffH

Hi everyone. I have a 1978 CHB with one teak step mounted on the transom to assist in getting to the deck from the swim step. It is becoming harder and harder to get up the three feet to step on it so I'd like to add one more step. Does anyone have a clue as to where I could buy something like this. I've searched the web and found lots of steps but nothing with the classic look. I will find a wood shop if nothing else turns up. Thanks.

I'm assuming those steps were through-bolted to the transom and that you have access to the "inside"? As you say, I think if you can take off the original step, a shop could either match it or build two or three identical "improved" steps that would all be the same age/condition (if there's any improvement needed). That seems like the most likely solution to me. Unless there's a CHB in a local salvage situation that still has its step. Does CHB have a forum?

I have had one step off, to move it so that it is convenient for stepping up from the swim grid while the dinghy is raised. The original position prevented such use.
All you need to do is to chip out the teak plugs over the bolts and remove the bolts. Take the step to any woodwork shop and they will duplicate it.
Fill the old holes and relocate where needed.

Thanks. These are great answers. Taking the step off seems like the way to go.

Whenever I'm in a situation like yours, such as needing a wood shop, I always seem to forget to look around the boat and see if there is "one other little thing" that would be good to have made at the same time...like a teak plate to mount an instrument on, cover up an old cutout, some little broken piece somewhere....

Been there, done that. We needed only one step for the 18" rise.

The step brackets are made with two basically triangular 1" thick chunks of Ipe. Two bolts are epoxied into the end facing the transom. Holes drilled, nuts and washers inside (Nothing shows from outside). The step itself is Ipe epoxied down to the brackets. Since Ipe is not known for good gluing, I will add screws down through the step and bung them. Ipe is quite hard and brittle, so the pilot holes for the screws have to be deep enough and the right diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 46
Has anyone built something where the gunwale had a cutout and hinge down step to deck level? I was thinking about doing something like that to help my wife with her bad knee. I would relocate the existing step downward and enlarge it for easy entry.

Exactly, but it's only 8-10" high, so I'd like it to hinge outboard and use as a second step. The deck is just above the existing step.

Gossip transom on trailer.jpg

Look for marine consignment shops for steps and ladders. The one in Rock Hall, MD, has several. I think they even have a nice wood one that was meant to be hung on caprail fittings.

Back
Top Bottom