Old 04-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

City: La Conner
CHB electical

Help!(please). I have a 1978 CHB and want to install a radio and a new chart plotter on the flybridge. When I crawled in under the dashboard I saw what appeared to be quite a few electrical junctions on a bar. There is a second bar that has several ground wires but not hot wires. I want to install a new buss bar for the new electronics but have been unable to locate any power on the junctions. All 12v systems are on but no readings on the multimeter. It looks like all these circuits are dead. Everything works though. I am going to run a whole new circuit from the breakers in the cabin up to the bridge but I’m wondering what I’m looking at on the flybridge. Thanks everyone.
jlhegland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Any chance you can post some pictures? It is hard to debug without any reference and many of these boats are far from factory w.r.t. wiring. Thanks!
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I added a dedicated power panel for the electronics on our bridge. I ran an oversized positive and negative cable from the house bank, with a proper size fuse, to the panel. That way I know that I have good voltage and adequate current capacity to power the new electronics. A lot of the original boat wiring is not adequate to power all the new electronics. With undersize wiring you don’t get good voltage and then the electronics don’t work well and things get suspect.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Is your meter set to Volts DC?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
When you use the probes on the busses do you scratch the needle on the busses?

If you don't there may be enough oxidation to interfere with a reading. It would take only one probe to not make good contact.

Or use a small file or sandpaper and clean a spot on the busses. One done and you have voltage or
not then smear a wee bit of dielectric grease on the bared spots for future use.

And yes to a photo or two.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I added a dedicated power panel for the electronics on our bridge. I ran an oversized positive and negative cable from the house bank, with a proper size fuse, to the panel. That way I know that I have good voltage and adequate current capacity to power the new electronics. A lot of the original boat wiring is not adequate to power all the new electronics. With undersize wiring you don’t get good voltage and then the electronics don’t work well and things get suspect.
I did the same thing. I ran #6 wire to a dedicated fuse panel just for electronics.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

City: La Conner
Thanks for the good advice. I’ll try to take some pics this weekend. Meanwhile I’ve just realized that there is a whole section about electrical systems/electronics.
jlhegland is offline   Reply With Quote