chart plotter vs ipad/Android

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm holding out for a Holographic display. :D

img_1282.jpg

It would have to be a much larger chart scale to be of any value... :) Right now that boat appears to be somewhere in Mongolia.

DUH ... it comes with an air straw.
You blow air into it to zoom in ... can be integrated with boat's air horn pump ... :D

or the rubber hood of day's of old...loved it when the newbies would forget they had stuff in their hands and tried to stick them through the cuffs for grease pencil plotting...:rofl:

I had hoped I could get to the grave without ever hearing the term "grease pencil" and "radar" in the same sentence again. Ah the joy of plotting with a stubby grease pencil, an old rag and squinting for hours at a smeared screen at night on the bridge.

SPS-10%20Radar%20on%20SPA-25%20Cooper%20River%201979.jpg

After a few hours, your eyeballs felt like they were laying on the plotter.

We have come a long way!:socool:

Larry

What do people think about using a mobile device as a chart plotter/multi function display?

My experience has taken me from celestial and dead reckoning, through to rdf, and gps with paper chart, up to chart plotters both multi function display and computer based.

More recently I have been using mobile devices with inavx and navionics. This I first used as what I though would be backup but has quickly become primary for pure convenience (all be it with the salt water environment in mind).

My very recent research into upgrading our electronics has left me disappointed by the marine electronic companies continued insistence on forcing one to purchase their mfd's which are dinosaurs compared to current tablets and 10 times the price.

Have we reached the age where the big companies should provide the network solution to our mobile device independent of an overpriced mfd?

Or does it exist and I can't find it?

Cheers
Tony

I'm thinking your post is more of a personal statement than a question. I use a chart plotter (MFD). Two of them, one at each helm. I believe that's a better and more reliable solution than a glorified telephone.

Back
Top Bottom