Charcoal, gas, or electric grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overall, I like the looks of that Char Broil; the latches are a very nice idea for taking it to the beach or land based picnics/camping. I do like the fold out shelves on the Weber (as I did the little shelf on the front of the Magma) and have come to really like the ceramic coated grill of the Weber. Grill area isn't appreciably bigger. The difference in price buys a lot of propane though.

I can never recall having the propane bottle installed and trying to grill something while in a seaway of any kind.

Gas all the way. No falling embers melting the gel coat. No "wet" charcoal that won't light. No charcoal lighter to store safely. No waiting for 20-30 minutes. Propane available everywhere.

grills

The small green tanks or a full size gas grill tank?

We have a nice little grill from West Marine. Small green propane tanks. They are cheap, last a long time, provide heat and can be used to fuel a small cabin heater in an emergency.

I prefer cooking with charcoal, so the very first grill I ever mounted on a boat (1985) was a Magna charcoal grill. That was the last charcoal grill I ever put on a boat! Too much mess to deal with afterwards.

I Hank Hill it now, with propane!

+1 Never again!

Propane all the way. Got tired of the small green tanks so plumbed to a 25lb tank (fiberglass so no rust to deal with) on my last two boats. IF I want wood smoke I add damp hardwood chips to a small SS box that sits on top of the grill.
~A

I just don't get all this fear-mongering about the "dangers" of propane. Millions of homes are heated with propane and natural gas with rare incidents. Electrical fires are far more common. I do not have a propane stove in my galley but would not hesitate one second buying a boat so equipped. However, my preference for cooking, and I cook a lot, is an induction cooktop. Second choice is propane.

I just don't get all this fear-mongering about the "dangers" of propane. Millions of homes are heated with propane and natural gas with rare incidents. Electrical fires are far more common. I do not have a propane stove in my galley but would not hesitate one second buying a boat so equipped. However, my preference for cooking, and I cook a lot, is an induction cooktop. Second choice is propane.

I pretty much agree with you; we are avid cooks, but gas or electric was not important to us in buying our boat. Boat we bought had a beautiful all electric galley with full size household kitchen appliances, and it worked out just fine. Not having to schlep propane bottles was a minor nicety. But if that boat had come with a well installed propane system and a gas range and oven equally as nice, we would have bought it as well.

I currently use a Napolean stainless table top gas grill (no longer available). Considering taking that one to the house and buying a Blaze portable gas grill. Mine runs on 17 pound composite (fiberglass) propane tank.

You probably don't want to watch this.

https://youtu.be/UYkax4NYyoc

Ted

I’ve been looking at the Blaze and it looks amazing. Then, I realized it’s 50 pounds, so I wouldn’t be able to rail mount it. How is yours mounted?

Back
Top Bottom