Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
A couple of things:

There should be no such thing as "on my two." It's a two-whistle pass that BOTH are agreeing to.

Think of it this way: A one-whistle arrangement means staying or going to your right. A two-whistle is the opposite; you're staying or moving to your left.

Another odd thing I've noticed, in the Northeast it's "see ya on one," while on the Western rivers it's "see ya on the one." Obviously, when in Rome and all... but what the heck is the "the" for? Never made sense to this Northern boy.

CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Rich men problems...

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Never heard of this one or two thing either, but its been a while since I sailed professionally. We would just say port or starboard. This is west coast of course. Don't believe there is any mention of one and two in the Rules...
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #24
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
The issue with "pass you on the one" is this:

If you're facing each other, it works fine. Both boats end up port to port.

If you're overtaking a boat. You'll end up with him on YOUR port side, and you will end up on HIS starboard side.

So it's confusing. One would need to clearly say... pass me on MY port.

====
If you say, starboard to starboard, it's totally clear, no confusion...... IF you're passing and you say passing on "YOUR" port, there should also be no confusion.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
Guru

The 1% who have been professional trained to do this, would rather the 99% of us who have not, bend to their process - because they believe by doing so is "right".

And as more and more boaters take to the water and the 1% become even more diluted, they stand by this.

Whether or not there is a clearer, and safer, communication, is moot.

For many of them the "professional rule" outweighs the First Rule. Avoid a collision.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #26
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Whistle signals are clear and EVERYONE is supposed to know them.

Saying it on the radio should be no challenge for ANYONE (well maybe not) on TF or anyone on the water in general.

And getting those that aren't all that familiar with whistle signals to use the terminology would now BECOME familiar with whistle signals.

I have been almost hit by plenty of the port/starboard types....not the one or two whistle types.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
The issue with "pass you on the one" is this:

If you're facing each other, it works fine. Both boats end up port to port.

If you're overtaking a boat. You'll end up with him on YOUR port side, and you will end up on HIS starboard side.

So it's confusing. One would need to clearly say... pass me on MY port.

====
If you say, starboard to starboard, it's totally clear, no confusion...... IF you're passing and you say passing on "YOUR" port, there should also be no confusion.
Not confusing at all if you get out of the habit of thinking a boats port or starboard and just think whistle signal. Too many just say pass "to port" or "to starboard: and that's IS confusing.

If the word one or two is used it should be clear...if someone says "MY" in there you know there is already someone in the mix that need further clarification or close watching.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #28

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I like your sign idea but depending where I am (upper/lower helm), what my visibility is, and where my attention is chances are I am not going to see your sign unless I am right on top of you. I tend to initiate my calls to pass a bit before I am right on top of someone.

No problem. I'll hear you on 16 as well. The sign is just intended to reduce the amount of 16 traffic and channel switching. I'm under no illusion that it will solve every problem.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
No problem. I'll hear you on 16 as well. The sign is just intended to reduce the amount of 16 traffic and channel switching. I'm under no illusion that it will solve every problem.
It great that you bring it up.

By having this discussion hopefully more and more boaters will keep CH13 up or even CH9 (or both south of North Carolina) all the time and use it for initial contact.

Much of the time...you will get a quicker response calling commercial traffic on CH13 first anyway. This is from the USCGNAVCEN on channel usage....

"CH13 - Intership Navigation Safety (Bridge-to-bridge). Ships >20m length maintain a listening watch on this channel in US waters"

Even if only some switch, it will lessen the traffic on CH16 and if not maybe more will switch to low power on CH16.

The amount of boaters that just need a bit of exposure to make things better is amazing. A fairly seasoned boating friend of mine questioned me about the use of CH13 for calling other boats. He thought it was for commercial only. A quick discussion that it is not really a generic chit chat channel, but for everyone for safe navigation and he was a convert and supporter. The fact is, most people that step back and look at the big picture usually are.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It great that you bring it up.

A quick discussion that [13] is not really a generic chit chat channel, but for everyone for safe navigation and he was a convert and supporter. The fact is, most people that step back and look at the big picture usually are.

This forum really needs a "Like" button such as Facebook has.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #31
Guru

I have a suggestion for when you guys call the other guy on 13 to arrange a pass. If he doesn't answer because he is sitting on 16 and not monitoring 13, go ahead and use your loud hailers to get him.

You know, the ones you use to shout at other boaters who, in your opinion, are going too fast in a no or minimum wake area.

That would work, right?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #32
Guru

Just assuming that everyone does or should know (one and two) despite that its not an official usage of terminology, is wrong headed. Whistle signals is one thing, that's in the Rules. Getting on the radio and assuming the guy you want to pass knows what the heck you are talking about when you say, "pass on your one, or two" is very presumptuous. He might think you need to use the head!!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #33
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Just assuming that everyone does or should know (one and two) despite that its not an official usage of terminology, is wrong headed. Whistle signals is one thing, that's in the Rules. Getting on the radio and assuming the guy you want to pass knows what the heck you are talking about when you say, "pass on your one, or two" is very presumptuous. He might think you need to use the head!!
hahahaha
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
"pass on your one, or two" is very presumptuous. He might think you need to use the head!!
Yep all the commercials around here use "whistle."
Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Yep all the commercials around here use "whistle."

I think there is a rational and justification for that. The rules say they should use the sound device but that the radio, if agreement is reached, is an acceptable alternative. The "Whistle" usage makes it clear that they are communicating the same thing they would have with the horn. Just a little CYA for people with licenses.

As I've said elsewhere, I generally try to use whistle with commercial craft and port / starboard with recreational boats.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
The 1% who have been professional trained to do this, would rather the 99% of us who have not, bend to their process - because they believe by doing so is "right".

And as more and more boaters take to the water and the 1% become even more diluted, they stand by this.

Whether or not there is a clearer, and safer, communication, is moot.

For many of them the "professional rule" outweighs the First Rule. Avoid a collision.
The part you omitted was that on average, the 1% are out on the water 200 times more than the average 99%.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #37
Guru

Whistles can be mistaken or misinterpreted as well. Lots of collisions happened due to this over the years. Read about the two ships that collided in Halifax in WW1 that nearly took the town off the map.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #38
Guru

The real crux of the matter is if people used CH13, they can be as confusing and as long winded as they want. Use whatever amatuerish terminology your yacht club prefers.

But doing it on CH16 is selfish to those that may need it...and someday it just might get you a violation.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Whistles can be mistaken or misinterpreted as well. Lots of collisions happened due to this over the years. Read about the two ships that collided in Halifax in WW1 that nearly took the town off the map.

Yes ....but it is still really just using the rules to a logical conclusion and in my experience much less so to cause confusion than the typical.... "did you mean my port or your port?"
Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #40
Guru

Yacht club! Don't belong to no stinking yacht club!