A Chance To See Great Loop Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should be able to carry enough fuel for at least a 300 statute mile range. Between some areas, fuel is scarce or if you miscalculate a fuel stop - like in 'out of season' or out of business, it might not be fun.
The weight of extra fuel will cut down your fuel economy, however, fuel stops are also time consuming.

Also, remember that she needs to be under 19 feet tall.

Hello all. I first read about the Great Loop back in the spring and haven't been able to stop thinking, reading, and learning as much as I can about such an amazing adventure. Being landlocked, it just never occurred to me that such a trip was possible.

I'm in Southern Illinois, about two hours east of St. Louis and if what I'm reading is correct, those traveling the loop should be making their way down the Illinois river to St. Louis about now. So, since I'm dying to see loop boats up close for the first time, I thought this forum might be a good place to ask....... Is there a place and time where I could go and have a pretty good chance of seeing some trawlers and meeting some people who are currently completing the loop?

Thanks,

Ken
I think there is a spring rendezvous, near Norfolk, and a fall one which would be a perfect opportunity to see boats that do the loop and to talk to the people doing them. Another opportunity is one of three trawlerfests held each year by Passagemaker.

Back
Top Bottom