Chain Cone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
The book says to install a cone to keep the chain from*stacking up under the haws hole in the chain locker. What do you use?

SD

It probably depends on the dimensions of your anchor locker and the distance its floor is from the deck above. On our boat the chain falls about five feet to the floor of the anchor locker, which is a heavy-duty, braced wood triangle I built to replace the collapsed one a previous owner must have made (I don't know what the boat had originally). I put sides on it that stick up about a foot but other than that the chain is left to its own devices. It piles up in a nice pyramid that is not really tall enough to fall over. It can slump a bit but it's never done so in a way that binds up the chain during deployment.

I've heard of the cone idea and if one has a wide chain locker with a lot of space around where the chain lands I can see how a cone could be beneficial. Our locker is very tall but not all that wide or deep (fore and aft). So a cone would take up too much room and not be of any benefit.

SD, As Marin said, it depends on the size of your chain locker. If the cone will take up more space than the chain then it defeats the purpose. We have seen this used and the cone needs to be centered on the hole where the chain drops into the locker, otherwise it just causes it to pile up on one side. We have seen everything from a cut off highway cone to a custom made fiberglass cone. But let me add that almost everyone we met that tried this eventually got rid of it because it did not do what they wanted and became more of a bother. There may be other ways to accomplish what you want. Chuck

Skeines Eliments of yacht design has the dimensions for a narrow tall box for most sizes/lengths of chain.

At your local library.

*I split the chain locker in two, one for chain and one for rope so had to make the chain deflect/slide to one side.* I made a chute hung from the deck to deflect the chain so it slides/fills chain locker off to starboard side, and the port has chute/slide also for the rope. *****

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom