Old 06-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

City: Port Charlotte FL
Vessel Name: Indian Summer
Vessel Model: Marine trader Europa 36
Cetol not lasting long!

I remember when you could put cetol on your boat and get 4-5 years out of it? I had and island packet so definitely not new to the Varnishing world. I have a Marine Trader and sure noticed that they must have made cetol more environmental friendly or maybe making it just not last long to sell more products. I use to put three to four good coats and then a coat of clear on top and not worry about it so much but sometimes maintenance coats but would hold up good but now it seems to fault way faster???

drinkenbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
How is it failing? If there are seams, or the wood flexes or anything that lets moisture under it, it won't last.

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
I can't say I've ever gotten 3-4 years out of a Cetol job. I've always gotten by with 1-2 maintenance coats annually and was happy. The heavily-used teak like a teak anchor pulpit I had on a previous boat required constant attention to keep looking good. Our current boat only has the protected teak trim thats under cover (around the salon door in the cockpit) treated with Cetol and we can't get 2 years out of it without it starting to look grungy. I used a new can this spring so we'll see if it is any different than the stuff in the past.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That’s why people varnish.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #5

My island packet didn’t have teak on the pulpit and this trawler sure does. I’m just wondering if they are making it more environmental friendly? I’ve seen some that just paint but I just can’t seem to do that.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #6

Believe me. I’m getting to old for this and my next boat won’t have any outside anyway!
Old 06-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I went to painting the teak due to the short life of Cetol. Love it and love the look.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
When we used Cetol and when we were starting from scratch, we'd laydown 3 coats of their natural and then 3 coats of clear gloss. That gloss is where the UV protection is I've been told. Then every year or 18 months we'd put 2 more coats of the gloss. The last time the cap rail was stripped was 2012. It was do when we sold Hobo in March. The failure areas as rslifkin pointed out are the seams on the top of the cap rail. They'd flex and brake the finish. Even with its short comings, I prefer it to varnish.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
Guru

City: AR
I used Cetol on my boats years ago. The key to making it look as good as varnish is in doing the same prep--cleaning and sanding that you'd use for varnish. Then, when wood is completely dry, apply 3 coats 24 hours apart when humidity is relatively low. Make the 3rd coat clear gloss if you want to...I always liked the semi-gloss look. Every succeeding year, lightly "sand" it with fine bronze wool (never use steel wool on a boat, it rusts...bronze wool doesn't), then apply one new coat. It continued to look as good every year as it did the first year.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I used Cetol on my boats years ago. The key to making it look as good as varnish is in doing the same prep--cleaning and sanding that you'd use for varnish. Then, when wood is completely dry, apply 3 coats 24 hours apart when humidity is relatively low. Make the 3rd coat clear gloss if you want to...I always liked the semi-gloss look. Every succeeding year, lightly "sand" it with fine bronze wool (never use steel wool on a boat, it rusts...bronze wool doesn't), then apply one new coat. It continued to look as good every year as it did the first year.

--Peggie
Temperature is very important too, follow manufacturer recommendations. I used some under full sun in a very hot day and it was drying too fast, result was horrible.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
THANK GOD for no exterior wood anymore! I did my time in varnish purgatory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00115.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Trying to get 4-5 years from Cetoal is asking too much of the product. Maybe 6 coats in the PNW will make it 5 years but I doubt you can get that in Florida.

Try Awlwood, it’s more expensive but takes only two days (3 is better) and then you should make it 5-6 years in Florida.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote